E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Oct 11 2005, 10:54 AM
When I tracked my 545, I had an instructor with me. The instructor took it around the track first with me in the passenger seat. When finished, I asked him how the active steering affected him. He responded that he wasn't aware of the active steering at all. In subsequent runs with me at the wheel, I never felt handicapped by the active steering.
[snapback]182691[/snapback]
I drive a Camry and a 545i on a regular basis. After the first couple of weeks, my 545i (with AS) feels like "normal" drive with a slight edge on steering efforts. That is, I don't have to steer as much (like on the Camry) around corners and never felt a "disconnect" from the road.

At low speed (less than 20 mph) AS is very responsive, and an unfamiliar drive WILL feel the disconnect (My brother almost hit a curb on a turn)

In short, AS is like a bionic arm. You get used to like and will LOVE it over your original arm once you master it (which doesn't take long).
Old 10-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 11 2005, 08:47 AM
I posted the following on the M5 message board thinking it was the e60 discussion board so forgive the duplication if you read both.

Everyone, incuding me, seems to agree that AS is worthy of having for slow speed driving around town and parking lots. A lot of you have commented that you mainly drive slow and love your AS. I mainly drive slow too. But, I also often (at least twice a week) push my car on curvy roads (I have a favorite) and brake hard approaching the turn and accelerate through the apex. This is the same way auto journalist test these cars and have often complained about the changing ratio of AS.

Given that AS is fantastic for those that mainly drive slow and love the conveinience, what about the times when you push your car. If you never push your car as described above then no need to comment. But for those that push, does AS take away from the pleasure or does it deminish the awesome steering feel that BMW is known for during aggressive driving? It is this driving style and situation that concerns me about AS. I too love it around town.

I can put up with some inconvenience driving around town in order to not ruin my "fun" driving time.

I look forward to comments.
[snapback]182687[/snapback]
For the few times that I have taken the car to the twisties of Malibu, Angeles Crest Hwy, and Ortega Hwy here in So Cal AS is fine... it didnt take away any of the pleasure of the twisties... I really do not notice the AS while moving anything above crawling speeds...

Just for the heck of it... I do also have a MINI Cooper S where I have also driven these roads in and Both cars and both are great. (*MINI is a little more nimble*) but thats besides the point... steering BOTH CARS ARE SIMPLY AWESOME!

And honestly... if you are at all paying attention to driving you'll know and react and not turn THAT much... I mean do you really exactlly just turn the wheel 90 degrees in every single car to make a right turn? Come on... adjust a little... I think AS is just as sporty as a non-AS car. and a AS car to maybe even be sportier than a non-AS car in slow speeds... and at speed or high speed its the same thing! Both are just as responsive and good at speed... Which sports car do you find that you have to do hand over hand over hand turns? Doesnt Sports driving mean keep your hand in the 3 and 9 o'clock position and keep them there? And you can control the whole car with your hands there? Which F1 racer does hand over hand turns? Or wheel shuffling? Even Nascar...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:12 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 11 2005, 11:10 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Oct 11 2005, 09:54 AM']When I tracked my 545, I had an instructor with me. The instructor took it around the track first with me in the passenger seat. When finished, I asked him how the active steering affected him. He responded that he wasn't aware of the active steering at all. In subsequent runs with me at the wheel, I never felt handicapped by the active steering.
[snapback]182691[/snapback]
Thanks JDN. What year AS do you have?
[snapback]182698[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mine is March 2004, first week of SMG production.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Members

The only negative thing I've ever experienced with AS was the steering got a bit wierd when I was going +130 mph on the autobahn. Other than that one time, I loved it on the twisty roads in Germany, I definitely miss those roads now that I'm in the DC area. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Even the wife loves it! (She loves the iDrive too!)
Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

I am very happy of my AS especially in roundabout, but going to Switzerland this summer and driving hard following a motor bike... on an sinuous hilly road, I was destalibilised from time to time because the steering ratio was changing depending ofthe speed. Especially at speed ranging from 80 km/h (50 mph) to 120 kph (75 mph) it can be surprising.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Oct 12 2005, 11:39 AM
I am very happy of my AS especially in roundabout, but going to Switzerland this summer and driving hard following a motor bike... on an sinuous hilly road, I was destalibilised from time to time because the steering ratio was changing depending ofthe speed. Especially at speed ranging from 80 km/h (50 mph) to 120 kph (75 mph) it can be surprising.
[snapback]183336[/snapback]
Wow! Is yours an 05 or 04 model? From your signature it looks like an early 05. I am not sure when BMW recalibrated the AS.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 12 2005, 11:06 AM
[quote name='FJPM' date='Oct 12 2005, 11:39 AM']I am very happy of my AS especially in roundabout, but going to Switzerland this summer and driving hard following a motor bike... on an sinuous hilly road, I was destalibilised from time to time because the steering ratio was changing depending ofthe speed. Especially at speed ranging from 80 km/h (50 mph) to 120 kph (75 mph) it can be surprising.
[snapback]183336[/snapback]
Wow! Is yours an 05 or 04 model? From your signature it looks like an early 05. I am not sure when BMW recalibrated the AS.
[snapback]183340[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't think the ratios themselves changed at those kind of speeds. I had understood that the level of power assistance and steering firmness would vary at higher speeds (to firm up the feel at higher road speeds and help stability) but the variable ratios were primarily limited to lower road speeds.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I just spent some time test driving a 530 with sport package and active steering. Here are my impressions. It is really nice driving around town. The steering is extremely light and the car is easy to manuever. I liked it for city driving. I took it out on my favorite curvy road at speeds ranging from slow to 100 mph. Most curves taken at the 80 mph plus or minus range. I did not notice any changing ratio of steering. I tried to coax it into changes by slowing rapidly in some curves. It drove very well. The steering felt lighter than my 540 sport.

One thing I did notice that I can't explain and may not be able to explain. This particular road is not very smooth. I does not have pot holes, but the asphalt is uneven or wavy, not bumpy. Driving at 80 to 100 mph on straights and bends I could feel slack in the wheel or like the steering or wheel was loose or moving in my hand over these waves. Almost like as the front wheels traveled over the uneven pavement it affected the steering wheel. I did not feel out of control but it was weird. By 540 does not feel this way over the same road, at least I have never noticed it. I will go home that way tonight and compare.

Is this slack I felt at speed the active steering? Have others noticed this? To bad I can't test this steering on a 550 without having to travel 100 miles away.

The bottom line is I think I like the Active Steering and am considering trading my comfort seats for the AS. The sport seats were not uncomfortable.

And, the 530 sport is a very nice car with good pep. Slower than my 540 though
Old 10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 12 2005, 02:10 PM
I just spent some time test driving a 530 with sport package and active steering. Here are my impressions. It is really nice driving around town. The steering is extremely light and the car is easy to manuever. I liked it for city driving. I took it out on my favorite curvy road at speeds ranging from slow to 100 mph. Most curves taken at the 80 mph plus or minus range. I did not notice any changing ratio of steering. I tried to coax it into changes by slowing rapidly in some curves. It drove very well. The steering felt lighter than my 540 sport.

One thing I did notice that I can't explain and may not be able to explain. This particular road is not very smooth. I does not have pot holes, but the asphalt is uneven or wavy, not bumpy. Driving at 80 to 100 mph on straights and bends I could feel slack in the wheel or like the steering or wheel was loose or moving in my hand over these waves. Almost like as the front wheels traveled over the uneven pavement it affected the steering wheel. I did not feel out of control but it was weird. By 540 does not feel this way over the same road, at least I have never noticed it. I will go home that way tonight and compare.

Is this slack I felt at speed the active steering? Have others noticed this? To bad I can't test this steering on a 550 without having to travel 100 miles away.

The bottom line is I think I like the Active Steering and am considering trading my comfort seats for the AS. The sport seats were not uncomfortable.

And, the 530 sport is a very nice car with good pep. Slower than my 540 though
[snapback]183405[/snapback]
Just a guess but I suspect that what you're experiencing is less AS related and more a result of tramlining, made more prevalent from the run flat tyres as found on sport pack E60's. Glad you liked AS!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Oct 12 2005, 02:16 PM
Just a guess but I suspect that what you're experiencing is less AS related and more a result of tramlining, made more prevalent? from the run flat tyres as found on sport pack E60's.? Glad you liked AS!
[snapback]183408[/snapback]

Ya that kinda sounds like tramlining... I dont recall it behaving like that... but then again I'm not sure I've driven in rough road in excess of 100... I do like my suspension...

Quick Reply: Active Steering