E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC takes so long to get cold!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, sport, nav, cold pakge, stereo, 3.45 rear, CAI, throttle bodies, software, DINAN badge, 166 wheels w/dark grey powdercoat (always look clean!).

Originally Posted by Moocow' post='431241' date='Jun 2 2007, 08:54 PM
For almost a year now whenever the car has been off over night, the first time the air conditioning (AC) starts it takes a long time for the air to become cold. I can start sweating before it gets cold, living in South Florida. I had my dealer look at it and they said BMW knows about this and says it is normal. Supposedly it can take up to 2 minutes to start cooling the air because of something in the AC system. Is this true or should I have it looked at again? Anyone else with this issue? I don't know if I should just deal or not... THANKS!

Try changing your micro-filter. i'm from tampa, and we get a TON of pollen, and it gets clogged pretty regularly.

patrick
Old 06-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 650i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Logic7 sound system, ARS, PDC

Originally Posted by cheeks' post='431932' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:21 PM
Phew, i thought i was the only one with this problem, it takes my car around 3 minutes to start cooling. The AC cooling was instant on my E39 530i and it would get extremely cold at the lowest temp setting as compared to the E60..... and yes, all the bars are blue
Just got a call from my SA, there is a recall on the E60 AC system and so they are replacing the blower and dryer ..... just an FYI to everyone
Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by cheeks' post='435100' date='Jun 12 2007, 11:45 PM
Just got a call from my SA, there is a recall on the E60 AC system and so they are replacing the blower and dryer ..... just an FYI to everyone
Thanks for that info Cheeks. Do you know what years are being recalled or is it all E60s from 2003 launch?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 650i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Logic7 sound system, ARS, PDC

I will try and get the information when i pick the car later on this week
Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I live in Orlando, which gets even hotter than the coast because we're landlocked. I have noticed the AC takes a long time to cool, but it has not been a major concern for me. I am so used to the heat now, it doesn't even bother me.

To cool car quickly, first open the windows and sunroof as you approach the car by pressing and holding the unlock button. This allows super-hot air to escape from your car before you get in.

Next, get in and start the engine. Immediately press the Max Cool button. This button overrides the climate control feature, turns the upper vent blowers on max, and cooling temp to lowest setting. Drive away normally, and shut the sunroof and windows after a few seconds of wind blows through the interior.

That's the quickest you're going to get a hot, parked car cooled down. It will take a few minutes.

Once the car is cool, press the Auto button and the thermostat will kick back in.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Members

Just got my car back from the dealership and i must say the AC is chilling crazy at medium setting!!!! She said the bulletin/recall was for certain E60s within a production period (sorry, could not get specific production dates) .... when i changed the intensity of the AUTO program to high it was unbearably cold at 93 degrees outside (after being parked in the hot sun all day). The A/C kicks in way faster than before. Everything was at no $$ charge , please read transcript below if you can make any sense of it.

CAUSE: Repaired per 64 03 05

6450525 Discharge, evacuate and fill A/C

6450510 Discharging, evacuating and filling air conditioner

6452524 Replace Compressor

6453517 Replace drier insert for A/C system

No faults stored -- evacuated (system has correct charge) replaced A/C compressor and drier element per SI then recharged system
Old 06-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moocow' post='431241' date='Jun 2 2007, 07:54 PM
For almost a year now whenever the car has been off over night, the first time the air conditioning (AC) starts it takes a long time for the air to become cold. I can start sweating before it gets cold, living in South Florida. I had my dealer look at it and they said BMW knows about this and says it is normal. Supposedly it can take up to 2 minutes to start cooling the air because of something in the AC system. Is this true or should I have it looked at again? Anyone else with this issue? I don't know if I should just deal or not... THANKS!
Hi, you need to check your A/C (pressure and liquid) - go to a BMW garage.
My car is ok. The best option is (if possible) to have always the A/C working when using the car.
The more the A/C is used the better - compare with fridges, normally they never fail!
Bts rgds
Jos? - Portugal
Old 06-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't we use Auto Park Program in addition to rolling down windows, opening sunroof, using sunshade, and using max setting, etc? This is the cool feature that I used frequently when I was in Las Vegas last week.

There is a recall on AC on some production date? Maybe Cobradav can help us find out
Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

At the request of EBMCS03 I took a look at this thread to see if I could add anything to this issue. While not a recall the old 2005 bulletin has been updated.

There are no recalls out there on AC - yet

SI B 64 03 05
Heating and Air Conditioning April 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B64 03 05 January 2006.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Air Conditioning System Poor Performance

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
The customer may experience one of the following conditions:

The air conditioning system has permanent insufficient cooling, especially during idling or while driving in heavy traffic conditions with high outside temperature even when the system is set to "MAX" A/C.

No cold air from air conditioning during the first 2 minutes of operation after starting the engine. After this time the system seems to work properly.

CAUSE

Compressor failure due to damaged internal control valve.

This is considered normal system operation. When the vehicle is parked for extended periods, liquid refrigerant can migrate into the compressor. It may take up to 2 minutes to displace the liquid refrigerant from the compressor before starting normal operation.

PROCEDURE 1
In most cases this problem can be duplicated. Perform the following A/C system performance test as per the repair manual RA 64 50 ...

(New) Connect a DIS/GT1 to the vehicle. Troubleshoot any related faults stored in the system.

(New) Enter IHKA Control Module functions and display "Evaporator Temperature".

(New) Position a thermometer with a separate gauge approximately 5 cm below the headliner at the top of the B-pillar. Position the gauge so that it can be easily read.

Start the vehicle up and heat up the vehicle interior as follows:

A/C button is not activated during heating up period.

Set recirculated air mode.

Select air distribution mode for footwell and defrosting.

Maximum heat temperature setting.

Maximum blower speed.

Close all doors and windows.

Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm until normal engine temperature has been reached then continue with idle mode.

As soon as an interior vehicle temperature of 50? C (122? F) has been reached turn on the A/C button to activate cooling down period.

After 3-4 minutes, the evaporator temperature sensor (as read using the DIS/GT1 through "Control Module functions/Diagnosis Requests" should read < or =15? C (59? F).

If the value is not reached then recover the refrigerant charge from the system and note the amount drawn off.

If the drawn off amount is correct then replace the compressor if the electrical integrity of the system is good. If the system charge is low troubleshoot the system for leaks.

Replace the integrated drier.

Evacuate the system for approximately 1 hour.

Recharge system and retest operation.

PROCEDURE 2
Do not replace any parts. This is considered normal operation of the system. Explain to the customer that this condition may occur if the vehicle is parked for extended periods (greater than 8 hours). Over time liquid refrigerant can drain back into the compressor when the vehicle is parked. If the A/C system were to function at 100% right from startup the compressor would be damaged. The system is then started up gradually to prevent this from happening and extending the life of the compressor. Normally the system is functioning at 100% after 30-60 seconds, but in extreme conditions it may take up to 2 minutes for the system to function at 100%.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number........ Description............ Quantity

Refer to EPC....... A/C Compressor......... 1

Refer to EPC....... Integrated Drier.......... 1

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code Refer to KSD

Labor Operation: Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance: Refer to KSD