E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E60 N52 low engine temp!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530I
Default BMW E60 N52 low engine temp!!

Hello My car is an E60 530I n52 from 200605 I really hope some can come up with some good input since I'm being an idiot of my car! For about a month ago when I discover that my cooler has slightly leaky and get it as switched on workshop asap (have a bad back but trained mechanic) The old cooler was also covered 20/25% of soil and leaves! Now there was then a new problem and it was that it takes 100 years to be warm and I go in and follow temp. via the "hidden menu" and sees it hits 72 degrees after 18 drive and with 10 minutes on the highway. I tænker'med the same that it is my MAP thermostat and temperature sensor at the radiator and get it changed but it was unfortunately nothing at all and my car takes a long time to get those 70 to 80 degrees and when it has been "warm "then swing the 76-84 up and down and it is with normal driving .g 80 km of 8 km with cruise control! At best it has four mapped temperature 111 by eco and 95 normal and 85 by midi. and then 80 by the stick in the basement! but that is not it good not being properly hot and would love to have found the error! It should ige said that it went die for power in the workshop because they had let the car stand with the ignition on and drained the battery so there was some error codes on the car but they were so followers nuisance off by conventional tests. Someone who has a good idea of ​​what that might do to my car is not properly warm? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:26 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

It's very difficult to follow what you are saying...

Are you saying it's taking long time to reach operating temp even after changing the radiator, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:21 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy
It's very difficult to follow what you are saying...

Are you saying it's taking long time to reach operating temp even after changing the radiator, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor?

Hi

Sorry but yes its taking a long time to reach 72 celcius, about 20 minutes of driving a half the way is at 120 km/t.
But even after a VERY long drive the temperature runs from 74 to 84 celcius all the time!! but 1 out of 10 drives it get sometimes up til 102 celcius and then its like the termostat opens because it quickly falls Down to 72-74 celcius Again and the stay between 74 and 84 celcius for the rest og the drive/trip.

when the engine is at idle the fan starts allmost all the time when the temp. reaches 82-84 celcius? why doens the fan come on at such a low temp?
Is the cooling system in some kind of "failure mode" ?

Does any have a clue why this is?

Next week i get the the new waterpump but im afraid is not it:-(

please help

Best Regards
Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 AM
pcy
Senior Members

If the [electric] water pump is failing, you would get an error/message on iDrive.

Where did you buy the thermostat you've installed? Which brand is that new thermostat?

Even if there is no check-engine light is on, if you have access to INPA or similar software, read the diagnostic error codes. There may be a code set. That will help you in the right direction... rather than simply replacing parts.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy
If the [electric] water pump is failing, you would get an error/message on iDrive.

Where did you buy the thermostat you've installed? Which brand is that new thermostat?

Even if there is no check-engine light is on, if you have access to INPA or similar software, read the diagnostic error codes. There may be a code set. That will help you in the right direction... rather than simply replacing parts.
Hi

I work at a sparepart shop in denmark and the thermostat is a original one fra bmw:-)

I think the same as you but I'm run out of ideas. I had a Bosch tester on it today but it shows no error code but does it has to be a inpa or are the Bosch just as good?

Today when I went for a long run I one time with same speed and throttle saw the temperature ran up to 98 and hold a side to see if the fan where on but it wasn't ? Drove about 1 km more and then I quickly went down in a hurry to 74 again and Then up to 84 again og so on for the rest of the trip. When i hold a side at 80 celcius and Opel the hood the engine fans runs almost all the time as soon it gets a bit over 80 Celsius?

Can the trouble i have be because in ran out of battery at the mechanics with ignition on? I had a few error codes but the were deleted with the Bosch tester!

Do you have any ideas? And thank you for answering

Best regards
Old 04-30-2015, 04:12 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Are you reading those temp readings on the dashboard (via hidden mode)?
With the diagnostic code reader you have, can you read that coolant temp in real time?

It would've been good if you had noted down those error codes before erasing them.
Anyway, if those issues are still present, I'd suspect the error codes will come back.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:59 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Are you reading those temp readings on the dashboard (via hidden mode)?
With the diagnostic code reader you have, can you read that coolant temp in real time?

It would've been good if you had noted down those error codes before erasing them.
Anyway, if those issues are still present, I'd suspect the error codes will come back.
Hi

I have sene the temp on the Dashboard Throu hidden mode. But also see temp in idle with tester and it seems to run along with the temp. Sensor in the car!

Yeah I didn't write them down but it was something about the airbag and can't remember if there where more.

The bosh tester is that just ass good reading codes as let's say inpa? As mentioned I had a. Bosch tester on it with no error codes At all!?

Best regards