E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC takes so long to get cold!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

There will be two things contributing to the delay that you have:

(1) The a/c compressor not kicking in immediately on starting the car, as suggested by pau_laner, probably to let the engine run a little first.
(2) You actualy need some airflow through the radiator to start getting cooling effect, especially in the warmer climes. When sitting still in traffic on a hot day, you will notice the car get progressively warmer because of the lack of this cooling. I notice this when I visit my brother in Malaysia, for example.

MacSid
Old 06-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

1 are you parked outside or indoors. If it is outside then it will take longer cos the intee will be hot and take alot longer to cool down.
that is what happens to my in the summer. it takes about 15min to be cool in the car.
try this trun the car on for 5 min before you go out. that what I do now. just as you would when there is ice or snow on the car.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

My car is kinda slow to get cool also compared to other vehicals that i have owned. I have noticed that what i do to get cooler quicker is i roll down the windows and sun roof to force out the hot air pretty quickly while the ac is on. I think the real problem is the new refridgerent that we have to use now its just not as good when it comes to heat transferance. I also use the park car vent system to help out also. What color is the car and interior.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='431709' date='Jun 4 2007, 07:50 AM
1 are you parked outside or indoors.

Ya parking outdoors without a sunshade will make the dash absord the heat from the sun and continues to emit heat for quite a while... do you use a sunshade when parking outside? That and tinted windows help A LOT
Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

In addition to setting the temperature to the upper body (four blue bars through four red bars) in iDrive, I also noticed better cooling performance via changing the intensity of the AUTO program to medium or high. It was on the low setting and the system did not respond aggressively enough to changes in the temperature dials.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Mancow....while I have been in Boca, all my rides take a while to cool. The car it hot all over and will radiate heat until it is all cool inside.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='431816' date='Jun 5 2007, 04:37 AM
Ya parking outdoors without a sunshade will make the dash absord the heat from the sun and continues to emit heat for quite a while... do you use a sunshade when parking outside? That and tinted windows help A LOT
I use sunshade outside and inside of the car but no tinted windows cos I will get a ticket every day in HK
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='431883' date='Jun 4 2007, 05:15 PM
In addition to setting the temperature to the upper body (four blue bars through four red bars) in iDrive, I also noticed better cooling performance via changing the intensity of the AUTO program to medium or high. It was on the low setting and the system did not respond aggressively enough to changes in the temperature dials.

Intensity of the auto program? there is? where? someone refresh my memory... I might have set it once and never touched it since...
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 650i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Logic7 sound system, ARS, PDC

Originally Posted by dawi' post='431373' date='Jun 3 2007, 07:44 AM
I do the same and that's in the UK which is not known for it's very warm weather although I do live on the South Coast and our Summers do seem to be getting very much warmer!

I've noticed this ever since getting my E60. Had 2 Audi A6's before and they were noticeably much quicker to get cold, one was petrol and the second was a diesel so that did not affect the efficiency.

Even my wife's Rover 75 cools much more quickly and as far as I'm aware most parts on that car are BMW as it was they who helped develop the car with Rover and supplied most of the components.

However, the E60 was developed after the 75 and so perhaps the new A/C system that BMW uses is not as efficient in order to improve engine economy which seems to be more on the agenda now than aver before and BMW seems to be at the forefront of improving their engines for ever greater economy and lower emissions.

It would be interesting if someone could compare this issue with the previous E39 or older BMWs in general - were they any better?

Phew, i thought i was the only one with this problem, it takes my car around 3 minutes to start cooling. The AC cooling was instant on my E39 530i and it would get extremely cold at the lowest temp setting as compared to the E60..... and yes, all the bars are blue
Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I, Black Saphire Metallic Exterior with Aburn Interior & Poplar Wood Trim, SMG, Active Steering, Sports Suspension w/Dynamic Drive, Logic 7, Heads-up Display, Voice Input, 6 Disc CD Changer, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Fold-down Rear Seats, Navigation System, Winter Package with Heated Steering Wheel and Rear Heated Seats, Powered Sunblind for Rear Window, Manual Rear Side Sunblinds, Universal Remote Control, Audio Aux Input

I'm glad it's not just me who has experienced similar issues. I have a 2004 530i. I do have the settings all the way in the blue. I also park my car inside a garage. The only time I have this issue is when the engine is cold. If the car has been driven and it's been sitting outside in the heat, I live in Florida, the AC has no problem getting cold after about 10 seconds. It is the craziest thing, and it drives me NUTS! I read someone said BMW uses some coolant that takes that long to cool the AC, it sounds like what they told me too. I wish there was a fix. ::SIGH::

Quick Reply: AC takes so long to get cold!