E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i owners, please help me make my case

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I replaced my oil at 3200 miles (did it myself). It's a cheap solution that won't hurt even if it does not fix your problem. From past experiences this has corrected the problem.

And from what you said that it only happens on short trips when the oil is dense.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:01 PM
[quote name='gwf545' date='Jul 27 2005, 04:30 PM']So it goes away after about 5 miles? Have you had the oil changed and do you know what weight oil was used?
[snapback]153802[/snapback]
No, I am still using the original stuff that they put in the factory. The I-drive indicates 7,000 mile but the dealer told me that this means to change oil in another 7,000 miles, rather than at 7,000 miles. I will check my manual to see if he's right.
[snapback]153809[/snapback]
[/quote]
Change the oil! As stated above, it can't hurt and may fix or at least improve the problem.......

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
"Sir," said I, "or madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is, I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you." Here I opened wide the door;---
Darkness there, and nothing more.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Jul 28 2005, 02:49 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:01 PM'][quote name='gwf545' date='Jul 27 2005, 04:30 PM']So it goes away after about 5 miles? Have you had the oil changed and do you know what weight oil was used?
[snapback]153802[/snapback]
No, I am still using the original stuff that they put in the factory. The I-drive indicates 7,000 mile but the dealer told me that this means to change oil in another 7,000 miles, rather than at 7,000 miles. I will check my manual to see if he's right.
[snapback]153809[/snapback]
[/quote]
Change the oil! As stated above, it can't hurt and may fix or at least improve the problem.......

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
"Sir," said I, "or madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is, I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you." Here I opened wide the door;---
Darkness there, and nothing more.
[snapback]154074[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was about to tell you to change the oil, and make sure you use the proper grade. Somtimes this will cause that tapping noise. I see others suggested it already. See if this is the problem.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

The only issue I have with changing the oil is, it's practically a brand new car!
It seems to be an issue that persisted even before speedracers current 6,500+ miles. Why would it do this unless something was wrong mechanically?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It ain't the oil -- the problem is the FSE who obviously either doesn't get it or has an ego that won't let him go back on his original decision.

There has to be a way to get someone else to acknowledge and approve the work...

Good luck speedracer!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Contributors

Mine sometimes has a slight valve noise when in idle and listening to it from outside the car, but it can't be heard from inside.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributors

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Here's the link to speedracer's video of the engine rattling-------></span> (Click Here)
Old 07-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

THANK YOU, Thank you all those who helped me. And thanks to all who helped me post the video.

I just got back from the dealer. The FSE is a very nice guy and immediately noticed that my tapping noised were abnormal. He laid out a plan to change my Cam-Chain tentioner first, because my tapping noises were far louder than what the cam lobes can make. If this was not enough, he will change my intermediate valves.

I finally found out what seems to be the road-block of me getting proper service; my dealer's service director. He rode with us and kept making comments that the noises were normal. He even seemed very skeptical when the FSE told him to begin ordering the parts for my repair.

Afterwards, the FSE pulled me aside to tell me that he understands my frustration and will do everything possible to get my car up to spec. He even gave me his card so I can communicate with him directly (he was not supposed to do that). He said that the dealer don't like to do extensive warranty works on a new car because California has many consumer protection laws that can be used to ther disavantage. So many of my previous repair requests were denied or down played by the dealer before it reached to him (FSE).

Now, the parts are being ordered and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 29 2005, 12:47 PM
THANK YOU, Thank you all those who helped me.? And thanks to all who helped me post the video.

I just got back from the dealer.? The FSE is a very nice guy and immediately noticed that my tapping noised were abnormal.? He laid out a plan to change my Cam-Chain tentioner first, because my tapping noises were far lauder than what the cam lobes can make.? If this was not enough, he will change my intermediate valves.

I finally found out what seems to be the road-block of me getting proper service; my dealer's service director.? He rode with us and kept making comments that the noises were normal.? He even seemed very skeptical when the FSE told him to begin ordering the parts for my repair.?

Afterwards, the FSE pulled me aside to tell me that he understands my frustration and will do everything possible to get my car up to spec.? He even gave me his card so I can communicate with him directly (he was not supposed to do that).? He said that the dealer don't like to do extensive warranty works on a new car because California has many consumer protection laws that can be used to ther disavantage.? So many of my previous repair requests were denied or down played by the dealer before it reached to him (FSE).

Now, the parts are being ordered and I am keeping my fingers crossed.??
[snapback]154380[/snapback]
That's great news! Hopefully the repairs are done quickly and you're back on the road with the same great car I have, not one you can't stand getting into in the morning. Please keep us updated on the progress...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 29 2005, 11:47 AM
He said that the dealer don't like to do extensive warranty works on a new car because California has many consumer protection laws that can be used to ther disavantage.? So many of my previous repair requests were denied or down played by the dealer before it reached to him (FSE).
[snapback]154380[/snapback]
Funny that he would even tell you this much.

Glad to hear that they are finally working on a resolution.

Two questions:
1) Did they give you an idea how long your car would be in service?

2) Which dealership are you using? (Sorry if you mentioned before, but I missed it).

Quick Reply: 545i owners, please help me make my case