E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i owners, please help me make my case

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 555' date='Jul 28 2005, 01:21 AM
If they claim it's normal, then they should have no issue with taking it back and re-selling it as "Certified Pre-Owned".
Yep. I agree!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:26 PM
No irregular tapping noises in my 4.4L engine and that's with 9,000+ miles on it.

Does it get louder the higher you rev the motor?? Also, are you selling the car because of this noise?
[snapback]153820[/snapback]
No, the tapping occurs only between 1700 and 2300 RPM.
Yes, I am selling the car solely because of this noise. I will be keeping the car if this problem could be fixed. I clearly told BMWNA that this is the case.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 27 2005, 12:51 PM
I am having an untorelable valve tapping issues as per my post below:
BMWNA has told me that I can appeal with FSE personally through the dealer. So my dealer set up a meeting with the Field Service Engineer which will be this Friday.? I really need those of you, with V8 to chime in whether you are experiencing loud valve-tapping issues or not.? I will then print this thread and show it to the FSE, who claims the annoying noises are normal.

If you had the problem, and the dealer was able to fix it for you, please chime in what they did to fix it.

If you never have the tapping issues, please let me know because this would make my car abnormal.

If you have this problem, lets find a way to fix it.

My car is being sold in Autotrader as we speak.? Please help me avoid having to sell my 545i at only 6,500 miles.

This is my final chance to make my case.? Please help :'(
[snapback]153640[/snapback]
Speedrace, I hope BMW comes through and fixes this tapping issue with your car. From all the other threas I've read on this issue it does seem that replacing the lifter valves will help with the noise problem. Unfortunately your car apprently was manufacutred during the time period when the was an issue with the lifter tolerances. BMW should definitely do the right thing and replace your lifters. In any case sorry to hear about this issue with your car. I remember enjoying reading about your ED and watching that vid of you on the Autobahn with the opera playing. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

no tapping, 29450 miles
Old 07-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Only 450 miles, but purrs like a kitten
Old 07-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Speedracer, I think your correct in your action. My dealer agreed to change the
levers in my car because of the "tapping" issue. I had a hard time with it in the beginning - because it's subjectively hard to present this problem. The SIB file, and especially the point about the dates of manufacturing regarding lever tolerance between July ( possibly March ) and Nov 2004, accentuated my suspicion of a problem in my engine as well and helped my case. Look here :
levers

Mine was not as loud as you present it, put it this way, no passenger would possibly be able to pick it up. Still I got them changed, so your dealer should do something about this. At least tell them to check the dates on the levers.

Small note for the other members wanting to chime in. Please read the other posts
regarding this issue before posting.

This issue has nothing to do with listening to your engine in a garage or static with the bonnet up. It has also nothing to do with the normal valvetronic "tikking" when you put your ear next to the engine banks. This is normal.

This problem has to do with out of tolerance levers which make noise at certain rpm under load.

Conditions required for the record are :
1. engine under load, cold.
2. 1 or 2nd gear, low speed
3. your trying to listen to pronounced valve tapping noise as the engine accelerates firmly through 1500-2200rpm. After that the general engine noise drowns everything else.

4. I cannot stress enough the fact you must have a quiet cockpit and perform this in a quiet street.
Try to listen for that part of the engine only. ( If you don't understand what part of the engine I'm talking about - don't bother posting since this will not help speedracers case. )

Speedracer: give your dealer my post on the replacement levers. I even have pictures of levers within the dates the SIB mentions. What more to they want..?

Good luck, let me know if you need anything else.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:38 PM
[quote name='gwf545' date='Jul 27 2005, 02:40 PM']Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
" 'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door;
Only this, and nothing more."
[snapback]153688[/snapback]
Edgar... is that you?
[snapback]153823[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, and will you please tell the lost Lenore and/or that damn bird to stop that tapping!

Go here for the rest: http://www.comnet.ca/~forrest/raven.html

One of the best poems ever written. I had to memorize it in 8th grade. When I read this thread, it immediately came to mind.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

As usual, Andy545 is quite right in his advice. Incidentally, my car is going to be checked for this next week, because its actual build date falls into the time period when they had problems with the levers on some of the 545s produced.

It's such a shame that it appears that "service" standards are so disparate - MB are masters at that!

Hope your dealer sees sense and helps a well-paying customer instead of losing one and possibly others that person would bring to BMW....

All the Best

Hobi
Old 07-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I already have printed your earlier post Andy545, thanks. It should help my case.

My problem clearly, is exactly the same as yours. Except mine is louder, and not limited only to 1st and 2nd gear. As long as the car is under load, no matter which gear I am using, I can hear the tapping within that RPM range.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 28 2005, 08:18 PM
I already have printed your earlier post Andy545, thanks.? It should help my case.

My problem clearly, is exactly the same as yours. Except mine is louder, and not limited only to 1st and 2nd gear.? As long as the car is under load, no matter which gear I am using, I can hear the tapping within that RPM range.
[snapback]154037[/snapback]

Yep, a typical case of very out of tolerance levers. It is my impression that your dealer is trying to avoid this repair using the regional mechanic's resolve. It is sad to hear your story but keep at it using this post. If there is a precedent plus the
SIB notification backing you up - they should accomodate your request.

Make sure to differentiate the normal valvetronic "tikking" operation from the tapping under load.

Quick Reply: 545i owners, please help me make my case