E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i hydrolocked (well maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by turboawd
i hate to keep beating on the subject, but the filter slowed down the water from getting sucked in, but the water did pass, enough to hydrolock his engine and stall, thus preventing more water from getting sucked in.
his engine must have taken a decent gulp of water, if he found water in his oil.
and a engine is not going to lock up with a few drops of water in the combustion chamber. and its not the boiling water or steam that does the damage. its the piston trying to compress a liquid.
I am finished commenting here,since it appears that you know more than two engineers ( I have designed and run many an air induction system for turbines etc. and do know a thing or two about vacuum systems and liquid entrainment in air induction systems).
Let's wait to see what the damage is and perhaps have a more informed discussion on how the damage might have been caused.

Salut, Bob P.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Nipcon,

at this point you know you have damage to the engine. You should put it in your garage or outside where you can start tearing it down. The easiest thing would be to pull the heads off and have them looked at. This is a good start. Usually when you ingest water, the rods will bend. You will be able to inspect the cylinder walls for damage with the heads off as well as pistons. You also can tell if a rod is bent by turning the crank with the heads off and seeing if each piston fully returns to the top of its cylinder, there will be a mark where it has been stopping at for some time.

I am just on the other side of pulling the engine and rebuilding a good portion of it on my 550. Feel free to ask if you have questions. Its not difficult if you take your time, put all of the bolts in bags and label them. Put the larger parts in your trunk if you dont have room to store. It may take a few months but will save you big money. You can rent the tools for timing the engine from bimmertoolrental.com and most of the parts you can order through RMEuropean, GetBMWParts.com, etc. They are the cheapest i have found, A few items will need to be dealer sourced.

Last edited by Only Bimmers; 10-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

Does this sound familiar??

Not a good thing. If it gulped water, it bent a rod. The engine cannot be rebuilt.

Last edited by Cricketts; 10-02-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Cricketts
Does this sound familiar??
Not a good thing. If it gulped water, it bent a rod. The engine cannot be rebuilt.
It sounds pretty pretty pretty close.

at this point you know you have damage to the engine. You should put it in your garage or outside where you can start tearing it down. The easiest thing would be to pull the heads off and have them looked at. This is a good start. Usually when you ingest water, the rods will bend. You will be able to inspect the cylinder walls for damage with the heads off as well as pistons. You also can tell if a rod is bent by turning the crank with the heads off and seeing if each piston fully returns to the top of its cylinder, there will be a mark where it has been stopping at for some time.

I am just on the other side of pulling the engine and rebuilding a good portion of it on my 550. Feel free to ask if you have questions. Its not difficult if you take your time, put all of the bolts in bags and label them. Put the larger parts in your trunk if you dont have room to store. It may take a few months but will save you big money. You can rent the tools for timing the engine from bimmertoolrental.com and most of the parts you can order through RMEuropean, GetBMWParts.com, etc. They are the cheapest i have found, A few items will need to be dealer sourced.
pulling the engine is the last thing I want to do too. I will have space in my garage in about 3 weeks to pull it completely apart. I like this kind of work even though I don't have professional experience and really don't have to rush anything as I can drive another car in the meantime. I'd love to learn and try to do it myself. What I'm afraid of is getting right info when I get stuck on something. I checked GetBMWParts.com and rental website about which I had no idea, but they are pretty good. I'm in Colorado and with winter coming I was planning on switching to 4x4 anyway for few months.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
I am finished commenting here,since it appears that you know more than two engineers ( I have designed and run many an air induction system for turbines etc. and do know a thing or two about vacuum systems and liquid entrainment in air induction systems).
Let's wait to see what the damage is and perhaps have a more informed discussion on how the damage might have been caused.

Salut, Bob P.
i dont mean to start a pissing match. i'm just speaking from personal experience as to seeing others(dumbass friends) hydrolocking their motors by driving thru water. and they all had filters in place.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I work in the insurance industry, and was a former tech at a BMW indy. I can absolutely tell you that a BMW engine, with a properly functioning air filter in place, is definitely capable of ingesting enough water to cause catastrophic engine failure. I took apart more than one hydrolocked BMW engine at my old shop and found standing water inside of cylinders, bent connecting rods, fractured connecting rods, etc. I have seen the same numerous times during the course of my work in the insurance industry. These were all what appeared to be well maintained cars that drove through high levels of standing water (6" or greater...it doesn't take much).

OP, your engine is most likely done for. If your filter was fully saturated to the point where water is dripping off of it, you can bet that water made its way into the cylinder, didn't compress like air should, and overloaded one or more connecting rods to the point of failure. Perform a compression test on all cylinders. You'll likely see a few that are within spec, and others that are nowhere close. If you bent rods, you lost volume in that cylinder at TDC and therefore, a drastic reduction in cylinder pressure at TDC.

More than likely, it's replacement engine time. Good luck.

Last edited by KyleB; 10-03-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Since you have the consensus now that the motor is toast backed by your own findings, you are going to have to pull it anyway. Take it apart and see what the results are. You would be surprised what a good machine shop can do that a manufacturer states you cant. BMW also states that if you overheat any aluminum block engine it is non repairable. But timeserts solved that issue. The machine shop that did my 550 heads, works on allot of aluminum European engines. Also considered non repairable by factory, but they do it every day. The engine actually can be rebuilt, though others say not. If it has damage to the block that is another story. The cylinders are steel sleeves which hopefully will help. Tear it down and have the block and heads checked, cleaned, and decked.

I just tore my 550 down to the block then back up an almost complete now. So any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by Only Bimmers; 10-05-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

The cylinder walls of a N62 engine are NOT iron. They are some exotic hardened aluminum. They cannot be machined. Your vehicle most likely suffered a bent rod that in turn scored a cylinder wall (s)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: Needs Work

Doesn't the insurance company cover this? A firend of mine made a claim after he went through a puddle and they honored it.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Cricketts
What in the heck are you talking about? Another person on the interet talking out their a-hole.

These engines can be rebuilt, same as any other. You can even buy most of the parts without going to BMW, saving a huge amount of money. BMW has specs for different size bearings, different size pistons, even different thickness head gaskets, just so they CAN be rebuilt

If the block were cracked obviously it'd be another story

Did he ever do a compression check on 8 vs the others? That needs to be done first

Quick Reply: 545i hydrolocked (well maybe)