E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i hydrolocked (well maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 03:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cricketts
The cylinder walls of a N62 engine are NOT iron. They are some exotic hardened aluminum. They cannot be machined. Your vehicle most likely suffered a bent rod that in turn scored a cylinder wall (s)
Why does BMW sell oversized pistons + rings then?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&hg=11&fg=20
Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Members

After I took it to indy shop, which told me that I have a hole in a cylinder that actually has pressure as it supposed to the car is back in my garage. The indy shop wouldn't tell me what they did other than their diagnosis is a hole in a cylinder.

I have a leak down test tool on it's way, which will hopefully tell me more of where the issue really is. I'm committed to putting it apart on my own. Let me see what the results of the leak down are and I'll come running for help here
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

maybe i'm missing something, but how are you going to build pressure in the cylinder to do a leakdown test, when you dont get any compression from a standard compression test?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
maybe i'm missing something, but how are you going to build pressure in the cylinder to do a leakdown test, when you dont get any compression from a standard compression test?
I won't but I should be to find out how the air is escaping the cylinder. Isnt that the point?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by nicpon
I won't but I should be to find out how the air is escaping the cylinder. Isnt that the point?
you could just take out the sparkplug and use an air compressor hose and blow attachment and connect to sparkplug hole.

or maybe even get one of those camera snakes and stick it in the sparkplug hole.

but i think whatever you do is wishful thinking and just beating around the inevitable, that you need to fix/replace your engine. might as well start tearing it apart.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
you could just take out the sparkplug and use an air compressor hose and blow attachment and connect to sparkplug hole.

or maybe even get one of those camera snakes and stick it in the sparkplug hole.

but i think whatever you do is wishful thinking and just beating around the inevitable, that you need to fix/replace your engine. might as well start tearing it apart.
Good idea in the compressor.
I did stick the camera in there and I couldn't see anything abnormal. I was actually planning on sticking the camera again and turning the engine with a wrench to see if all pistons are moving.

I'm going to be tearing it apart...pretty soon.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

A compression test is the main test that will tell you if anything major has happened. Agreed there is no reason or way to do a leak down if you have 0 psi in any cylinder. It doesn't matter as you already got your answer. A leak down is good if you are building pressure but losing it. You cant really tell this properly with a standard compression tester. Keep us updated.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Members

Before I start taking it apart I want to troubleshot one more issue. Prior to me doing the pressure test it was starting fine. I took out the fuel pump fuse to run the pressure test and then put it back in and it doesn't start. What happens now is that the pump doesn't even engage when the car is unlocked or opened. I checked the fuse to make sure it's in the right spot and it is. It's also not blown. I check the relay under the glove compartment and it's working too. I used a jumper cable instead of the relay to see if I can get the pump to start manually and it does start.
So, the pump appears to be working as I can hear it clearly with jumper cable, fuse is good, no error codes, but it doesn't engage as it used to. Is there another relay or fuse that would trigger the pump when the car is opened?

I can even start/stop the pump through inpa.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 AM
New Members

Maybe I missed it. Has a compression test been done yet?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Poser
Doesn't the insurance company cover this? A firend of mine made a claim after he went through a puddle and they honored it.
yes, if you carry comprehensive coverage on your policy.

Quick Reply: 545i hydrolocked (well maybe)