E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i hydrolocked (well maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Still, how did the water get past the air filter and the carbon absorber if it was still installed? Unless the filter was torn.

Salut, Bob P.

take your vacuum and stick it in a bucket of water, and see how far the water gets.
an engine intake is just like a vacuum.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by turboawd

take your vacuum and stick it in a bucket of water, and see how far the water gets.
an engine intake is just like a vacuum.
Except a vacuum doesn't have a filter or two in its intake, as does an engine intake. Unless the filter has a hole in it, the water would collect on the filter and not go any further. or the water would create a hole and progress further.

Easy to prove. OP should check the filter. If intact - no water downstream of intake. If a hole then, possibly water into cylinders.

salut, Bob P.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Members

Except a vacuum doesn't have a filter or two in its intake, as does an engine intake. Unless the filter has a hole in it, the water would collect on the filter and not go any further. or the water would create a hole and progress further.

Easy to prove. OP should check the filter. If intact - no water downstream of intake. If a hole then, possibly water into cylinders.

salut, Bob P.
Filter was in tact, but soaked. No holes or any signs of damage. I took it out probably 48 hours after it happened as it was pouring for that long and I could squeeze water out. Water got past the intake as the intake was little moist on the inside. Also, when I drained the oil I saw couple of drops in the oil filter reservoir. When I took the plugs out I didn't see any water in the cylinders though. But that was after I got the started and it probably evaporated already.

All I'm hoping through my troubleshooting to find is that it's a bent/damaged valves rather than a bent rod or busted piston or o-ring.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicpon

All I'm hoping through my troubleshooting to find is that it's a bent/damaged valves rather than a bent rod or busted piston or o-ring.
i'd bet your piston or rods got damaged. when the piston is traveling upwards trying to compress the water, the valves are in a closed position, so bending the valves wouldnt be the likely outcome in my opinion. usually the piston or rod takes the punishment. or sometimes the block gives away.
if you're lucky, maybe your head gaskets just gave away. but that is not too likely either.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

salut, Bob P.
i'm not quite understanding how you think a paper filter will stop water.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

i'm not quite understanding how you think a paper filter will stop water.
According to the OP, the filter was soaked, but only a small amount of water was present downstream of the filter - so the filter did as I originally said - did not let water through. There might have been a little water entrained from the soaked filter and introduced into a cylinder or two, but not enough to cause hydraulic lock (I can do the math, if you wish). That small quantity of added water, however, does effectively raise the compression ratio exponentially as it boils and expands into steam occupying 40 times its water volume. Now, THAT, might have broken something (rings?).

Respectfully, Bob P.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Members

According to the OP, the filter was soaked, but only a small amount of water was present downstream of the filter - so the filter did as I originally said - did not let water through. There might have been a little water entrained from the soaked filter and introduced into a cylinder or two, but not enough to cause hydraulic lock (I can do the math, if you wish). That small quantity of added water, however, does effectively raise the compression ratio exponentially as it boils and expands into steam occupying 40 times its water volume. Now, THAT, might have broken something (rings?).

Respectfully, Bob P.
Bob I think you're spot on with your assessment. I'm hoping to know exactly within next day or two of what is really broken.
I'm really surprised there is no simple system to stop the water beyond the filter. I'm an engineer by trade and I don't think this would be that complex given the complexity of the rest of the engine.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Respectfully, Bob P.
i hate to keep beating on the subject, but the filter slowed down the water from getting sucked in, but the water did pass, enough to hydrolock his engine and stall, thus preventing more water from getting sucked in.
his engine must have taken a decent gulp of water, if he found water in his oil.
and a engine is not going to lock up with a few drops of water in the combustion chamber. and its not the boiling water or steam that does the damage. its the piston trying to compress a liquid.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicpon
Bob I think you're spot on with your assessment. I'm hoping to know exactly within next day or two of what is really broken.
I'm really surprised there is no simple system to stop the water beyond the filter. I'm an engineer by trade and I don't think this would be that complex given the complexity of the rest of the engine.
there is a simple way. DON"T DRIVE THROUGH WATER!
cars arent designed to drive through water. lol
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Members

there is a simple way. DON"T DRIVE THROUGH WATER!
cars arent designed to drive through water. lol
Point taken....

Quick Reply: 545i hydrolocked (well maybe)