E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6sp, sport pack, nav, cold pack, active steer.

I think you should not pay anything if it was a problem during the warranty period. BMW would fix the problem at no charge. I went through similar situation with my BMW motorcycle and my friend got a transmission replaced on his X5. Both instances were after the expiration of the warranty. In both cases the local BMW dealer tried to make us pay, but we refused to pay even a portion of the bill. I think BMW covers the repair anyway, but the dealer is looking to make some $ of you. He knows you are getting a new engine and after being scared by the $4k, you will pay the $700...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

This is very likely. I think I will call BMWNA and I will start asking questions. Last time when my car wouldn't pass emisions I also paid the tax. I will call BMW for sure but I think it might be different in every state. Illinois is pain in th a** if it comes to taxes. Sales tax is the highest in US. 10.25%!!! Today I found out that they will not get the engine till the middle of the next week, and it should be there yesterday. So it looks like it will be a while untill I will be back in my 545...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6sp, sport pack, nav, cold pack, active steer.

With the new engine, ur car will be a keeper for a while, just a bit inconvenient to track the miles. Also find out, from BMW NA, what will be the new warranty period/distance and what is covered, and if any deductible.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Members

No deductibles. Warranty will be given for engine and it's internal parts as well as the labor involved. I will be covered for another two years and no milage limitation. As soon as I find out the details I will post them, and keep fellow members informed. Great forum! I have a friend working for BMW so I will try to find more details about this case and I will post everything that was done.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

When you get the car back from service, drive that bastard to the front and get a new or newer one!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
When you get the car back from service, drive that bastard to the front and get a new or newer one!

No it is a keeper now. It's been good so far. All the problems I've had with it were connected with this engine. The engine would not broke down if the first owner treated it right and broke it in the right way. this was the main reason for the engine failure. Those engines are very strong however the tolerances in todays engines are very tight. It needs to be treated the right in the brake-in period. then ride it as if You stole it!
Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rafichicago
No it is a keeper now.
Good deal.... But do yourself a favor and change the oil every 7500-8500 miles. Even Mike Miller (BMWCCA Tech Guru) says BMW's extended oil service intervals are wrong - its all marketing to keep BMW's costs low when they are on the hook for free maintenance. Its cheap insurance to change the oil, and I doubt BMW will be so kind the next time the engine goes belly up. The quality of gasoline in Europe is better than in the US (here we have lots of ethanol to deal with) so perhaps not as hard on the oil over there.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

Originally Posted by JStraw
I know its not a good situation to be in, but here's a thought.....

You should consider totalling the car through your insurance company. If that is possible, then with the money you will get, plus the $20k will need to spend anyway, you should have a nice down payment for an F10.
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! what advice is this..lol
Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Members

Yeah... Sometimes it is the only option however I wouldn't evem try to recomend it in public... People do that I am more than 100% sure. I should call BMW dealer on Tuesday I will hopefuly know when I will get the car. I hope soon!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Members

Ok so my parts arrived to the dealer today and they are allready working on my car. They've had averything taken apart and ready for the parts arrival, so I am expecting to pick the car up either this friday or saturday. I have also told them to replace my spark plugs as they have the engine out so they will just charge me for plugs only. Hope to be back in my 545 soon! Can't wait!!!

Quick Reply: 545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!