E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

So here is the story. About a Year ago I was telling my dealer that I hear knocking sound from the engine. They said that what they hear is normal and there is nothing to worry about. Knocking soung became louder and louder. 4 days ago it started to be very loud and I could hear it easily while driving. The faster rpm the faster the knocking sound. Now I am 4500 miles and 5 months after warranty expired. Today I got the phone call that the car needs new engine. Cylinder #7 is destroyed. So I am awaiting the decision now. I hope BMW will cover the expenses. Any thoughts? They had run some tests borescope checked cylinder presure etc... Car regularly serviced at the same dealer. I was not expecting that! Anybody with simmilar problem? I am a bit worried...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it an intermediate lifter problem? I heard tickingknocking noises too and complained about it, then I got increased emissions messages and rough idling.

I just had mine replaced covered under CPO warranty, though I did have to do a lot of back and forth and fighting with 2 dealerships till things were sorted my way. It would have costed me $6000 for the repairs, and this is with no cylinders destroyed..

Did you have any error messages? I think the intermediate lifter problem is somewhat common in 545s and there is also an SIB for it.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Members

I was explained that because cylinder is destroyed they have to replace the engine probobly because replacing whole engine will cost BMW less then changing engine block. I had problems with idle especialy when cold plus rpm were not steady Rpm were jumping between 600 and 1500 when cold, but they could not duplicate it. Knocking noise was quiet in the begining but yesterday U could hear it in the whole service area... Also no messages no check engine nothing. no electronics involved. Mechanical only.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
Was it an intermediate lifter problem? I heard tickingknocking noises too and complained about it, then I got increased emissions messages and rough idling.

I just had mine replaced covered under CPO warranty, though I did have to do a lot of back and forth and fighting with 2 dealerships till things were sorted my way. It would have costed me $6000 for the repairs, and this is with no cylinders destroyed..

Did you have any error messages? I think the intermediate lifter problem is somewhat common in 545s and there is also an SIB for it.
Just this morning, I had a "service engine soon" light come on with the error message "Increased emmisions"! My appointment isn't until the 11th, wish me luck!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Members

Good luck for Your new engine
Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Just this morning, I had a "service engine soon" light come on with the error message "Increased emmisions"! My appointment isn't until the 11th, wish me luck!
MOST likely simply a thermostat Dave

OP, Since you reported the issue before the warranty was up the dealer may actually pay for it...I would contact BMW NA.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by rafichicago
So here is the story. About a Year ago I was telling my dealer that I hear knocking sound from the engine. They said that what they hear is normal and there is nothing to worry about. Knocking soung became louder and louder. 4 days ago it started to be very loud and I could hear it easily while driving. The faster rpm the faster the knocking sound. Now I am 4500 miles and 5 months after warranty expired. Today I got the phone call that the car needs new engine. Cylinder #7 is destroyed. So I am awaiting the decision now. I hope BMW will cover the expenses. Any thoughts? They had run some tests borescope checked cylinder presure etc... Car regularly serviced at the same dealer. I was not expecting that! Anybody with simmilar problem? I am a bit worried...
Since you reported this a year ago, you should be covered. I would calmly make my case to the service manager if the SA does not cooperate. G/L, I hope everything works out for you.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

this is crazy. this information scares me because i think i heard this noise once already. then "increased emissions" came up. thermostat being replaced due to this, nobody said anything about valve lifters so far..
Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck

Also, it took Pacific BMW about 3+ weeks to complete the lifter replacement. I pick my car up finally in the evening at 6:30pm Friday night. Saturday morning, i get in my car about 9am to go to the gym. Guess what.. "Increased Emissions" + "Service Engine Soon" !!!!

I bring it back in again. This time it was a faulty exhaust camshaft sensor (if i remember the name correctly).

Hope this helps anyone if they get similar error messages.

Also, I went to Costco and bought myself a CODEKEY device for $30 so I can read my own codes. Risbel told me about this and it seems to be a nifty device. GL all on the problems..
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by rafichicago
I was explained that because cylinder is destroyed they have to replace the engine probobly because replacing whole engine will cost BMW less then changing engine block. I had problems with idle especialy when cold plus rpm were not steady Rpm were jumping between 600 and 1500 when cold, but they could not duplicate it. Knocking noise was quiet in the begining but yesterday U could hear it in the whole service area... Also no messages no check engine nothing. no electronics involved. Mechanical only.

The fact that you were told it will cost BMW less indicates that BMW will pay for it. Otherwise, why would they care.

Quick Reply: 545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!