E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might find that the engine will come with new plugs from the factory, mine did. It was completely assembled including valve covers and pumps on the front of the engine. The only thing they took off my old engine was the intake and pulleys.

Pictures are below.
Attached Thumbnails 545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!-engine1.jpg   545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!-engine-2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by rafichicago
Ok so my parts arrived to the dealer today and they are allready working on my car. They've had averything taken apart and ready for the parts arrival, so I am expecting to pick the car up either this friday or saturday. I have also told them to replace my spark plugs as they have the engine out so they will just charge me for plugs only. Hope to be back in my 545 soon! Can't wait!!!
Should have them change out the 'O' ring at the same time.......that is a costly repair to a $1.50 item....hahahahah

Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by P1100
You might find that the engine will come with new plugs from the factory, mine did. It was completely assembled including valve covers and pumps on the front of the engine. The only thing they took off my old engine was the intake and pulleys.

Pictures are below.
I have the short block replaced. this means NO HEADS. Picki9ng my car tomorrow! Can't Wait!!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Members

So I have picked the car from dealer Yesterday and I was about to write for forum members info what was done etc. Car runs smooth as it never had, no ticking, nocking noises whatsoever and DAMN! i noticed an oil leak under the car in my garage!FU**! So I called today again and will drop the car tomorrow in the morning. This time I told them I need the loaner vehicle NO MATTER WHAT. This time they agreed as the car had been there for the last 4 weeks. Hope this visit will solve this problem once and for all.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Members

Good to hear about this. My 545i has been in the shop for 5 weeks for a ticking engine at start up too, but they gave me a loaner so I am not too worried. They've torn down the engine and the BMW engineer will tell them how to proceed. Please keep this thread updated. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Members

I allready have most of the info but will see tomorrow what is the cause of the leak. Main purpose of this thread is to tell all the members to try as hard as they can to get the stuff fixed even after warranty. I know that a lot can be done You just need to have steady service history with everything done in time. You do not even have to be original owner. Members DON"T GIVE UP!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Members

Mine is CPO, so they should cover everything.

What is the warranty on the new engine. Did they put a warranty on the short block or the whole engine?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sholaesq
Mine is CPO, so they should cover everything.

What is the warranty on the new engine. Did they put a warranty on the short block or the whole engine?
I will find out tomorrow but at first was told that the whole engine will be warrantied for two years no matter the milege. CPO does not cover Your nav screen which is considered entertainment.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rafichicago
I will find out tomorrow but at first was told that the whole engine will be warrantied for two years no matter the milege. CPO does not cover Your nav screen which is considered entertainment.

Yeah, I know. I was just referring to my ticking engine issue.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Members

My 2004 545i April build date is dead at 68k miles

Be very afraid. I am in the middle of this problem also and my local dealer had no idea what was going on with the car even though I gave them a picture of the plugs (number 6 was black and oily) and told them that the compression in cylinder 6 was about 20% lower than the rest. They wanted to pull the valve cover for a look around ($120 plus $950) I wonder if they would have put it back on for that.... Went to Autobahn BMW in Louisville KY and had a much better experience. The diagnosed the problem quickly and efficiently. We are trying to decide what to do with it now. I am open to suggestions???

Here is what I saw:
tapping noise increases with engine speed
Noise is much worse cold and gets quieter as the engine warms up
It takes about 15k miles to go from quiet to very noisy and gets worse fast at the end.
The tapping gets very quiet or goes away when decelerating
If you have 1 plug that is black and oily you will probably find scored cylinder walls
If you are really lucky it will be cylinder number six which you can barely see with the lower pan removed.
You cant see much of any of the other cylinders form the bottom without removing a bunch of stuff that would probably require the engine to be pulled.

Here is what mine sounded like:

Here is what the problem looked like:

Here is someone else that had the same problem and needed a new motor also

Anyone else had any luck getting some help out of BMW with this? This really sucks.

Quick Reply: 545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!