E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by rafichicago
-Mike- I have ebought it from the same one (LM). Used to worked for them. My car however was a local trade originaly purchased in BMW in Westmont. I am a second owner. There is where I serviced my car all the time. There are very nice people working there. I was allways getting loaner when needed. Overal very good experience.
Yes, I use them exclusively for my car as well, and drive an additional 20 miles out of my way to service with them. You are in good hands. Even with items that ride a fine line between warranty and no warranty, they have never once given me a hassle. Granted, I've never had a blown motor though. I feel good about this one for you man, especially if you have a paper trail of the problem, I think you'll be back in business in no time. Keep us posted and PM me if I can help you locally in any way.

As for LM, yes, this is who I was referring to. They once sold my brother in law an xi badged 3 series. When he got it home, I showed him it was RWD and not an xi!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Ok this is not looking good. They only want to replace "bottom" of the engine (no heads) so basically take the thing apart replace damaged parts and put it all together. overall cost of $13000 and I am paying 25% wchich with taxes will come to about 4K. They are saying that I am not an original owner, what a B.S. I had stated that there is a ticking sound and they are saying that this is knocking sound. I am not a native speaker I do not even know the difference. Now I am in a position that I pointed the problem when the car was under warranty and now I have to pay for it when warranty expired. Any advices and any help from forum members would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

that is not good. if you still have a paperwork from your visit while back, when you had a ticking noise complaint, you could possible address that higher (BMW NA). 4K out of the pocket is a lot.

another way is to go through your insurance but it's tricky. i never personally done that, but my friend did:
he has audi rs6, out of warranty. transmission went down. he made a claim that transmission was damaged by water after windshield replacement. insurance covered new transmission. but again, it's just a wild guess. (not your case but may be you could also make up some reason why your engine is blown at 54kmiles)

in your situation i would try all possible chances before paying 4k
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Members

I am stuck. I do not know if I should pick up the car from the dealer now before I decide what to do or just leave it there. I will go there now and see what they will say.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Members

OK the BMW NA rep was there today. From what I understood this is like their initial agreement. They will try to get some more money from them. It is in their interest after all. They are the one that are getting paid we will see what ist is going to be like.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

damn, pretty scary news, and i hope it all gets sorted out without you having to pay much out of pocket.. 4k is still a lot!

and btw, just throwin it out there!... a remanufactured m5 engine is only 27k
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Members

Plus the tranny... No thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

what kind of oil did you use, and what were the change intervals? just let us all know so we don't use that type of oil or go that long. i change mine every 7500 miles with mobil 15-50 syn.

if the dealer won't help you out and you end up on your own, you should buy a used engine or a long block and have an indy shop do the work. there is a long block on ebay right now for 5k.

i was shocked to see that a crate engine from bmw costs 27k. you could buy another car used for less than that. i paid 26k for my 05 545i with 34k miles on it.

thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Members

If You would want to put the car together from parts it would have cost You 4 times the price. If I decide to spend additional $5K it will be downpayment for a new vehicle. I don't know and I don't care what oil BMW uses. They did all the changes so it is up to BMW specs. I am not changing anything. I think BMW engineers are smarter than us so I will not be doing anything other than what is in the service manual. They already want to pay 75% so I am not on my own at this point. It is in the best DEALER INTEREST TO GET THIS DONE as this is money to them. Dealer knows that I will not pay them $20K for engine, so they will do whatever they can. Just common sense.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

keep an eye on this thread i guess....https://5series.net/forums/topic/934...ransformation/

Quick Reply: 545 Engine. 54k miles Engine is DONE!