E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d turbo failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure that if you'd pay 500,000 for your BMW they will give you the same service..
Old 10-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

FF, you are quite correct about letting the turbo spool down before switching the engine off. I am familiar with this from the trucks and always let my car idle before switching off after stopping.

I've just got back from Glasgow in my "loan" car. It is actually a new 530d not a 530i as I'd thought. It had 7 miles on the clock when I picked it up. I've driven it gently for them but the odometer now stands at 738 miles. It just goes to show the great wave of torque on this car that I could happily cruise at 85-90 mph without going over 3200 RPM.

The car is Orient blue with beige leather and dark poplar wood. Interestingly it doesn't have the extra wood on the lower dash but it does have wood on the rear console. It was maybe built before the interior upgrades started in production. I don't want to offend anyone but this colour combination does nothing for me at all. Doubtless others would say the same about my own car so I guess that is the beauty of choice. The beige interior must be a nightmare to keep clean as I've noticed dirt in the grain of the centre armrest already. For me there is just too much beige in the interior. Even the seat belts are beige. It would have looked better IMHO if the had made the top sections of the door mouldings black. This would have matched the top of the dash and given the interior a bit of a visual relief. The beige carpet mats seem a bit pointless. They looked lovely when I picked the car up but look terrible now with only two days usage. A good vaccum is required. If I had this colour interior black mats would be the first thing I'd buy.

This car has the standard suspension and the 17" style 116 alloys. I noticed that the ride is just noticeably softer than the sport suspension with the 18" style 124 alloys that I have. Surprisingly there isn't a great deal in it though.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 16 2004, 11:05 AM
They looked lovely when I picked the car up but look terrible now with only two days usage. A good vaccum is required. If I had this colour interior black mats would be the first thing I'd buy.

This car has the standard suspension and the 17" style 116 alloys. I noticed that the ride is just noticeably softer than the sport suspension with the 18" style 124 alloys that I have. Surprisingly there isn't a great deal in it though.
[snapback]45523[/snapback]
I have the beige interior and used FF his nice halfords leathercleaning towels.. Works like a charm..

I am suprised that the ride with the standard suspension and 17 inch wheels doesn't differ a lot comfort wise.. In that way I am glad I chose sportsuspension with the 123 wheels.. (18 inch)
Old 10-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Contributors

What kind of trucking are you in ISUK? I am in that industry, that's why I'm curious..
Old 10-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

FF I'm in the chilled food sector.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 17 2004, 09:36 AM
FF I'm in the chilled food sector. I run Corby Chilled Distribution. You may have seen some of my trucks on your travels.
[snapback]45813[/snapback]
Indeed I have. I used to be a director at ATC in holland. We sent over about 80-100 atric a week to the UK with flowers.
I had a job interview with one of your drivers a few years back. I got him a ticket to Amsterdam for the interview, and he never bothered to get on the plane. The guy was called -deleted-, is he still there? (strange how you remember some things.)
Any chance of a miniature
Old 10-17-2004, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

Can't say the name sounds familiar. I have something like 450 drivers now so the memory is a bit challenged on names. Very generous of you to offer to pay for a flight.

I'm sure I can sort out a model for you if you e-mail me an address or you can have one of your guys pick it up if they run up my way. You'll have to promise not to poach my drivers in return though
Old 10-17-2004, 03:33 AM
Contributors

That was in the days when we though it might be good idea to hire UK based drivers. After a few similar experiences we gave up on it though.

Can I pm you with some business ideas I'd like to run by you?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

Sure, feel free. I'm always willing to listen to new ideas.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Oct 16 2004, 08:22 PM
[quote name='ISUK' date='Oct 16 2004, 11:05 AM']They looked lovely when I picked the car up but look terrible now with only two days usage. A good vaccum is required. If I had this colour interior black mats would be the first thing I'd buy.

[snapback]45523[/snapback]
I have the beige interior and used FF his nice halfords leathercleaning towels.. Works like a charm..

I am suprised that the ride with the standard suspension and 17 inch wheels doesn't differ a lot comfort wise.. In that way I am glad I chose sportsuspension with the 123 wheels.. (18 inch)
[snapback]45529[/snapback]
[/quote]

All this makes me sad. Sad because I wanted to take that sport suspension, but we don't have such nice roads as in central Europe and I was afraid that it's too hard on Finnish roads. Spike tires make deep grooves on the asphalt surfase in couple of years. Those grooves and wide 40- to 50-series tires are not very comfortable combination.

WHY, oh my Good why I did not took it? If it gives more pleasure with out destroing comfortness? :'(

Skaffa

Quick Reply: 530d turbo failure!