E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d turbo failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called BMW GB customers services to complain about the lack of proactive info from my dealer on my car. I took the opportunity to tell them that their dealers appear to have very patchy knowledge on software upgrades e.g. TMC for business Nav and suggested they may wish to visit this site to view the problems that owners have found with the E60 and have had to pass on the relevant fixes etc to get their dealers to do anything about their faults.

I was told that service bulletins re software upgrades are issued regularly and dealers are relied upon to advise their customers of any upgrades/enhancements available. I told the guy that this certainly does not appear to be happening and that owners are having to force dealers to do upgrades. I certainly voiced my disatisfaction with the fact that I have had a car for a year and not had the use of certain features on it. As i'm bowing out of E60 ownership shortly it won't really matter to me but I certainly hope it may help other owners in the UK. It may be worth us all e-mailing them to register our various issues regarding the lack of dealer kowledge and support.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

That really is bad service ISUK.
The 530D here is detuned from 160kw to 150kw wonder if this has something to do with the fact that there have been no blown turbos here?

I guess it depends how thry have done the detuning eg. reduced boost pressure, lower compression ratio etc. etc.

Anyway hope you enjoy your X5 as much as we enjoy ours. We have the diesel which are you getting?

Streak

My Land Rover Horror Story
Old 10-22-2004, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Just had a call from the service manager at my dealer after he had been called by BMW. He apologised for the lack of communication but told me that a butterly throttle valve had failed on my car and has been sucked through the engine causing significant damage. They have fitted a new engine to my car and are in the process of refitting the gearbox as I type! It should be ready on Monday.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 22 2004, 12:15 AM
Just had a call from the service manager at my dealer after he had been called by BMW. He apologised for the lack of communication but told me that a butterly throttle valve had failed on my car and has been sucked through the engine causing significant damage. They have fitted a new engine to my car and are in the process of refitting the gearbox as I type! It should be ready on Monday.
[snapback]47845[/snapback]
i think lesson learned . hope everything will run smoothly from now .
Old 10-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Well I finally got my car back yesterday afternoon with a new engine and turbo fitted. I'm pleased to report that all seems well after a journey of over 100 miles this morning.

I asked the dealer to load the latest software to activate my TMC. They claimed not to have version 13.2 or whatever the lastest version is and asked that I take my car back in 2 weeks. I'm not happy about this as they had the car for 12 days to fit the new engine! The interior was also in a bit of a mess when it got dropped back to me and they hadn't bothered to wash the exterior. As I said before, shoddy service from a main dealer. Hope the one I'm switching to (who are smaller) are much better.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:13 PM
. As I said before, shoddy service from a main dealer.
[snapback]49930[/snapback]
Is that the one you squeezed the 6% out of? That would explain it.

As my dad used to say; if they shake your hand at the door you paid too much..

Old 10-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Members

ISUK,
I guess you are going to have to run in your new engine for the next 1,000 miles - or in view of your new car coming soon perhaps not
Mark Yorkshire
Old 10-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Fred,

The dealer who gave me 6% is a different one to the one who supplied my current car and has given me bad service. I know the guy at the new place and have dealt with him in the past when he was with an Audi franchise. Can you believe they haven't even reset my service interval indicator after fitting the new engine!

Mark,

I will be running it in as I could have to wait until March for the new car. Don't want to break down again. Speaking of which I saw a guy in a 530i (I think) broken down on the M1 on Sunday afternoon. Not an encouraging sight so soon after my troubles.