E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530D Slight misfire / hesitation at low throttle, cruising speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 530D Slight misfire / hesitation at low throttle, cruising speed

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction with an issue I have with my 530d m sport 07, 88k miles. I've noticed a slight hesitation over the last month. It's most pronounced in 6th (manual) at low throttle. I.e just cruising along and then give it a bit more throttle and it just hesitates initially. On full beans it seems ok and I'm getting about 42mpg on an average motorway journey so it can't be anything too bad - more an irritation, but it's starting to take the fun out of driving!

My initial thoughts are injectors? I've run some redex through it and started buying more pricey diesel but it has made no difference.

Before the diagnostics get pricey (it's going to the shop soon anyway), does this type of problem ring any bells with anyone? I'm hoping it could be an easy fix, maybe something to do with a breather / vacuum pipe or some sort of sensor.

Any help would be really appreciated!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

I know the last post is nearly a year ago, however I also have this issue. I had it last year from around April to October, replaced the MAF as when I disconnected it appeared to go away, no difference. I cleaned everything I could (egr, flaps, hoses etc) no different, I then had a remap done in October 2013 and the problem appeared to go away....but, over the past week it has been driving me mad.

I believe the car only hiccups on the motorway at 68-72mph when the outside temp is over 15C. The reason for this is because in the morning I drive 45 miles to the south coast in the uk and at this time of year it never gets over 15C and I haven't had the problem however on the way home if it is 15C or over it judders like mad.

I am going to log outside temp and whether it plays up or not to be sure in the next week or so.

Just wondered if others have noticed a difference on outside temp changes?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

Oh, sorry, I have an E60 530d LCI (2008)..
Old 04-14-2014, 12:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well - I can't contribute much more than I originally did. I thought my issue had gone away but now I'm worried it's going to come back after what you've said! I'll try and provoke it next time I'm out and report back.

Mine is / was definitely revs related and the sour spot was just under 2k revs so about 75 mph in 6th. Well below that it was fine and once over 2k, 80mph+ it's good too so that's how I drove it, consciously or not. I could repeat it in lower gears but of course it was less noticeable. I've been running it on the 'good' deisel, excellium they call it in France, and thought the additives had cleared out a grubby injector or two but maybe it is temperature related.

As a side note, have you noticed consumption getting a lot better since it has warmed up? I noticed it fall when it got cold, literally the best I could get on a 25 mile motorway commute was about 44mpg driving like a granny at 60. I did the same the other day and got a shade under 55mpg. That's a big difference and makes no sense to me, ok cold air is more dense so you can get more power out of a motor but it should only affect consumption if you were actually using the power??

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it.