E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD is angled on glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my car today from re-delivery. And boy am I happy to have it home!

And as it was before, the HUD is slightly angled on the glass. I was thinking about having the dealer see how it can be fixed, but I'm almost as concerned about them diving into the dashboard on a part that isn't too common and what kinds of other problems might result, like rattles in the dash, or botched up re-assembly.

Rudy, do you or anyone have one of the PDFs for service access of the HUD module? It would be great to see how much work they would have to go through to do the repair.

I was a bit suspicous that something in the dash might have problems when I picked up the car in Munich in June, upon seeing a plastic clip that was broken and lieing on the floor under the dashboard!!! (could be unrelated, but was not great to see there).
Old 08-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Not sure if this will give you what you're looking for. I'll keep searching to see if there's more.

This document explains that there is a vertical adjustment as well as a way to correct an image that is "not level." Also, there is special calibration equipment used to deal with the HUD.
Attached Files
Old 08-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here's another document that might help:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SBT__E60___Head_up_display.pdf (247.6 KB, 559 views)
Old 08-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I think I found the one we're looking for! It looks like the adjuster is behind the iDrive screen:
Attached Files
Old 08-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

For good measure, here's the one that explains how to adjust the HUD vertically:
Attached Files
Old 08-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

That's some interesting stuff, Rudy. I would have never thought about that place to look for adjustment of the HUD. Very interesting.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:37 AM
JDN
Contributors

LOL. I never would get beyond step 1. I checked my windshield and that front lower right seal is so tight that I would be worried about stressing the windshield, considering the problems with stress cracks. So, I'll never know whether I have a HUD windshield or not, but fortunately the HUD screen is AOK.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Well, you see the HUD info on your windshield... so I guess you know that you have a HUD windshield.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Iceman's right. You have the HUD windshield. If you didn't, the HUD image would be "doubled" due to it reflecting twice on a normal windshield.

The reason step one is there, as in all troubleshooting procedures, is that you need to verify that the glass is correct before proceeding with the rest of the steps. I'm sure there will be people who will have the windshield replaced with a regular one and then complain about the HUD not looking right. If the tech didn't verify that the shield is correct first, he'd go through all those other steps but never be able to fix it.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Hey Rudy,

Thanks a bunch for putting that info up there. I'm going to go through it and see if I have the guts to have the service guys start going into it.

I really should try to see another HUD car at a dealer to compare the 2 displays. Maybe I'm reading into it. I think I will post a photo of it for you guys to see and ask if someone can put their photo up as well. The trick will be to do it exactly from the center seating position since that is where it looks angled.

That HUD module looks like some kinda complex beast in there! Sure looks like a nightmare to get to....

(PS, I really like having my car back )

Quick Reply: HUD is angled on glass