E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d cold start issue all glow plugs changed

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its getting -8 degrees at the lowest average since this started.

also its had a new fuel filter

how do i tell if the fuel is freezing / jellying? next doors vw golf tdi is not stalling

and oil filter,new oil, swirl flaps removed, new crank case breather gasket, new glow plugs, battery and altenator pass all tests from many different garages.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Originally Posted by matttytn2
where did you source the control unit jehovden?

its so strange its not been as bad last few days but Monday it started then struggled to stay no and stalled
Hello!

I changed the control unit/relay this weekend.
As mentioend earlier I changed all six glow plugs one week earlier, but at that time I did not change the relay since it costs 250 USD here in Norway, and I did not want to spend that without knowing it was faulty. Of course I should have changed the relay also, since it turned out to be the problem... And since both the plugs and the rely are located below the intake manifold I should have done both in the same operation, given it takes some time and effort to get the manifold out...

However I talked to the closest BMW workshop and the guy told me it was possible to change the relay/glow modul without taking the manifold out, but it would not be that easy... MAN was he right...!!

The glow relay is located on the engine block underneath the intake manifold. It's a rather flat, alomst square box, some 10 by 10 cm big. Two connections to it, one rectangular and one round. As you will see the access is VERY limited... I decided to give it a go, and made it, but it was a pain in the a... to get it done.

First problem was actually to disconnect the rectangular contact/socket. It was stuck, and due to the poor access I really could not get any force to it. But got it after some 30 minutes of swearing.....

Then next problem is to not drop the two nuts securing the relay box to the engine block. Since it is not possible to get a hand in there and take this off with your fingers. I solved this by filling the pipe socket with grease (pipe socket is size 10 by the way. This way the nut is stuck when is completely loosened and will not (that easy) fall out of the socket and down into the engine compartment (as happend to my nr. 11 socket... never found it again).

After the cable connections and nuts where removed changing the unit was fairly easy. Getting the nuts back on proved to be harder. Since it is difficult to achieve the correct angle of the socket with all the extensions needed etc due to various obstructions. So it was hard to get the nut to enter on the threads of the bolts... spent a lot of time on this as weell, but made it in the end by using a hinged front piece between the extension arm and the socket, allowing me to angle the socket somewhat.

IF I have to ever change this rely again (let's hope that will never be the case) I would actually prefer removing the intake manifold first. It is not actually that difficult, it just takes some time. And since I have done it once before and know the drill I think that would be about just as quick, but with a lot less problems! So that will be my advice. Anf if you decide to take the manifold of, just change all six glow plugs as well. These are quite cheap and have a tendency to fail after a given time.

Note; before this I had NO experience with these kinds of "operations" and just decided to go for it. It was scary, but proved (for me anyway) to be quite easy.

I think there are some DIY's on how to take the intake manifold off.
If not, I have some pictures and can probably make a quick description of how I did it.

Let me know!

And by the way... after I got the new control unit the car has started 100% perfectly!
So problem solved :-)
The following users liked this post:
JakeFromSlovakia (12-24-2021)
Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Good to hear.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
New Members

I have similar problems with my 2006 520 d. I have to run the starter for a long and try many times for the engine to start. Had it to diagnose test late november, and had them change the diesel fuel filter the same time. I was told I had to change the control module for the diesel fuel feed pump, and that this was a common fault. About 2500 NOK for the part, and the same for programming and work time. Had to wait over a week for parts, got the car back and next morning the exact same problem appeared. Car is still at garage, now maybe the feed pump in the fuel tank is being changed, I will hear tomorrow if the car starts normally. I have asked about glow plugs, but the garage says there will be a message on diagnose when errors to glowing. Anyone else experience these problems?
Old 09-20-2016, 02:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M-SPORT 520D

Hucki73 did you get your problem fixed? what was the cause? I have the same problem as you...