E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d - Broken Swirl flap = Broken Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by paulmc' post='788772' date='Feb 9 2009, 09:15 PM
Slightly off topic

Palmo, You are 100% correct in what you are saying

Dave is not quite so right

My car is running over 340bhp and 700nm and not even a wee bit of smoke. Cars with DPF should NEVER smoke unless the DPF is knackered with over fueling :thumbsdown: Yes non DPF cars can smoke on initial throttle until the turbo spins up. If they smoke for more than that they are not set up right.

Smoke is unburned fuel. unburned fuel does not make power
Again slightly off topic (sorry), this is my understanding too - I wouldn't expect any additional smoke following a good remap of an engine such as this - especially one utilising a DPF.

340bhp / 700Nm sounds absolutely fantastic! And I think my 525d with approx. 245bhp / 510Nm goes well enough - I bet the 535d with this level of power 'fly's'!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Members

You are right. I am very impressed with it's preformance. It is pretty awesome especially for a diesel.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by paulmc' post='788772' date='Feb 9 2009, 04:15 PM
Slightly off topic

Palmo, You are 100% correct in what you are saying

Dave is not quite so right

My car is running over 340bhp and 700nm and not even a wee bit of smoke. Cars with DPF should NEVER smoke unless the DPF is knackered with over fueling :thumbsdown: Yes non DPF cars can smoke on initial throttle until the turbo spins up. If they smoke for more than that they are not set up right.

Smoke is unburned fuel. unburned fuel does not make power
hi mate, i will reply but im not going to argue as you seem to want to pick holes with my posts? (what have i done?)

the car does overfuel...and its ment to, at the stage of tune i have.
ill try to explain (and please remember its not because its set up correctly (its not..its set up for maximum performance whilst being safe.)

the fuel is set to produce maximum at full % duty cycle, and unfortunatly when the engine is not at full % it over fuels slightly, resulting in smoke for a second on initialy giving it full beans.

im not going to get into another back and forth with you on this, surfice to say that my highly respected tuner has set it up this way, and says its ment to "slightly" over fuel due to the way he has programmed the duty cycle.
the proof is in the pudding, and my car is balistic,
prehaps we can meet up sometime and you can see for yourself?
kind regards
david.#

ps: i have no particle filter and no swirl flaps, plus a larger intercooler.
i understand that excess fuel does not make power (no brainer) its just a byproduct of being set at the max for full duty at max RPM
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='790186' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:37 AM
ps: i have no particle filter and no swirl flaps, plus a larger intercooler
Ahhh, now that you have no DPF yes I agree smoke if fine. All diesels smoke until the boost kicks in. On DPF cars you never see this. You could prob stop this but it would be very very hard to do in all occasions, so a bit of smoke on initial throttle is normal.

If you want the car to run MAX possible power you could have it smoking a wee bit all the time ( only to make 100% sure you are on max fuel ) but then the pistons, valves, turbo heat up and will fail.

I am a bit jealous of your intercooler I was looking into it and it looks like I will have to make some pretty big changes to make one fit. I have an EVO 7 intercooler in my shed just begging to be fitted. Your tuner is very good buy the way heard loads of good things about him.

If your car is running full duty you must be way over 360bhp, awesome I know DMS say they have run 400bhp from this engine but never seen any proof.

My car is around 350bhp I think. I did rolling road it before xmas and made 319bhp with a boost hose hanging off It has been remapped again for more power so in conjunction with the boost hose now back on 350bhp seem fair. I will rolling road it soon just to see.

Sorry if I came across as picking holes in your posts i did not mean it in that way.

I dont want to argue either. Just debate and discuss. Arguing get you no where and then someone get upset. I am happy to debate forever. I am 100% petrol / diesel head

If I do p!ss you off I do not mean to. Just tell me you wont upset me

Sorry now we are WAY WAY off topic
Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 AM
Contributors

thanks for your reply paul.
i think were much the same
regards
david.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='589877' date='May 28 2008, 12:45 PM
UPDATE:

I have just been and checked to see if mine has the "Swirl Flaps" or not - I followed the instructions kindly supplied by 'Anzafin'.

I can confirm that mine DOESN'T seem to have these - I am 95% sure of this, although it is awkward to fully see with the Manifold on the car, but by using a mirror and closely inspecting (with the engine cover removed) it certainly doesn't appear to have these fitted as shown in the pictures.

So what does that tell us.....

1. Newer LCI owners (including myself) don't have to worry about this issue!
2. This MUST indicate that BMW themselves ARE aware of the issue and have modified the manifold on later cars accordingly. I would have thought therefore that these can indeed be removed on earlier cars..... however, surely the car's ECU is programmed to take account of these been present, in which case I guess an update to the cars software would really be needed to fully ensure no problems occur without them - just my opinion the last part.
therefore, that you have a manual gearbox, these valves are not there
Old 03-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

just emailed bmw uk about this as im kinda concerned as my 530 d is approching 60k miles
Old 03-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

Sorry to hear such bad news. Hope you will get a fair outcome. New Engine sounds the best....but bmw should be paying..

This swirl flap issue, is it on all diesel whichever the year, or did bmw reacted :thumbsdown: at one point, and if so which models starts to be 'safer' if possible...
Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

Good news guys, Total BMW have mentioned in their advert for Mays issue that they will be running a feature of these dreaded engine terminators. The issue is on sale from the 17th April, hopefully this will raise the profile and perhaps shame BMW in to doing something.

I often wonder what would happen if all of the enthusiasts from all of the BMW forums got a petition together to tell BMW to start dealing with these issues, we could compile a list of common faults some of which could get deal with in the regular service intervals.

Intake Swril Flaps = BMW to check and replace or remove at 50K miles, a design flaw.
Crankcase breathers = BMW should replace on every second oil service included in the cost.
Turbo Oil seals = BMW should check their condition every second oil service also, possibly related to above.
Rear Sub Frames tearing = BMW should inspect cars at say 60K and install reinforcement plates where necessary FOC, as it is a design flaw.
Engine operating temperatures = BMW should check that the car is operating to the correct temp whenever they have a car in, should be replaced at a discount.

Anyone know any others. Wouldnt it be great if we could drive these cars without worrying about this sh!t.

Quick Reply: 530d - Broken Swirl flap = Broken Engine