E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530d - Broken Swirl flap = Broken Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Stephan,
I happen some things my car swirl flap drop in side the engine last few week.Do you have answer to guide me. the some thing you look for? please let me know /
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Bob525D
I bought blanking plates from PMW but it turns out that my car has the updated manifold and the plates wont fit, I have a 03/ 2004 525D. Get your car checked before commiting to buying the plates. I was advised by PMW that i didnt need to remove the flaps which I have already done, however, I have heard that there have been instances of the updated manifold failing also.

They dont make plates for the updated manifold which is a pity, i wanted to make it a neater job than the self tapping screws.
Hello all,

Now I'm at a loss. I thought they made small blanking plates for the initial manifold and the larger version for the updated one (with the 4.5 mm sizing), is there still another manifold available which can't be 'blanked'?

Has anyone got definitive info on the part no's by the way. If I'm interpreting realoem correctly it is 11617800580 for the old and 11617800585 for the new manifold with the strengthened flap axles? Also the most recent manifolds still have flaps (the reinforced) my service rep confirmed. Anyone can verify all this?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Senior Members

I am with Theo on this - I thought they make both versions of plates?

I guess the easiest thing would be to call PMW and ask... I will do this anyways in a month or two when I am planning to get this resolved.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Earlier this morning I wrote an email to PMW about this. When they get back to me I'll post the answer right away.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

Received answer from PMW right away:

They started production and sale of the larger blanking plates in june 2009, so right after Bob525D's case. They currently have the plates for both the original and modified manifolds in stock.

I'm ordering a set of both sizes now and will ship the incompatible set back to PMW.

Fingers crossed that my valves will hold up till they arrive!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Why don't you just put self tapping screws with glue down there?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Ah Anzafin of DIY fame himself!

First of all many thanks for your great documentation on the process, never would have gathered the courage to take on the modification without it.

On the screws vs. plates, I guess I want to take the clean route: no cutting of the axles etc. Just smooth machined plates and o-rings in there though I hope never to see them again after installation...

The costs aren't that large, comparing to how much money we all pour into these E60/61's of ours.

Last (and least) of all, keeping the flaps intact for possible refitting (hope not) may also be in the back of my mind. Read a WTB post of a member in here earlier where he asked for 530d flaps te refit them for dealers diagnostics.

Will post pics of the state of my flaps when removed...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

I was initially told that they had no intention on making the larger plates, I told them that i guess i have to wait on some failures before they make them then. I was pleased to find out that they started to make them, I have the large size plates fitted. I can confirm that they are of good quality and they give a nice neat finish (not that you are going to see it once fitted).

Anzafin's write up is spot on for how to remove the manifold and replace the parts, I have now had my manifold off so many times that I could do it blind folded now. The last time i didnt even have to look at any instructions, you need to be careful that nothing falls in to the engine as you lift the manifold off.

Regarding the state of the flaps, mine were totally gunked up. Its hard to see how BMW could think that this is acceptable, surely a failure is only a matter of time with this design.

Good luck with the install.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Theo
Ah Anzafin of DIY fame himself!

First of all many thanks for your great documentation on the process, never would have gathered the courage to take on the modification without it.

On the screws vs. plates, I guess I want to take the clean route: no cutting of the axles etc. Just smooth machined plates and o-rings in there though I hope never to see them again after installation...

The costs aren't that large, comparing to how much money we all pour into these E60/61's of ours.

Last (and least) of all, keeping the flaps intact for possible refitting (hope not) may also be in the back of my mind. Read a WTB post of a member in here earlier where he asked for 530d flaps te refit them for dealers diagnostics.

Will post pics of the state of my flaps when removed...
I understand. Good luck with the process .