E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A 525xi - a good "starter" BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Thanks for all the responses - it seems there are several of you that were/are in similar positions that I am.

More and more, I am leaning toward the 5-series over the 3, since it seems to offer less compromises. The size issue on the 3 is really the only knock on it for me, but that's pretty significant. The way I see it, the 5 offers 80% of the sportiness of the 3, but in a package more appropriate, particularly in the long-run, for my needs.

Originally Posted by 2k6e60' post='243552' date='Feb 21 2006, 01:19 AM
However, If i didnt get a good deal on the 530, i would have ended up with the 525. Im not into racing, or speed that much, I wanted an appealing car, and something thats business like. and the 5 does it with ease.
5'er all the way!
That really sums up my driving style as well. I absolutely love to drive, but go out of my way to not be obnoxious about it (i.e., I don't even like to appear I am racing, I don't pass people quickly, etc.).

It took me a long time to get comfortable with the quickness (or lack thereof) with my current ride, but I bought in on the basis of it being a great overall package with respect to handling and fun-to-drive factor, and really have never thought of the speed factor since.

So, I think the same would hold true with a 525, if I go that route. I've also considered waiting and buying used, but I'm thinking a 525xi or 530xi with a manual trannie is gonna be a tough find.

Again, thanks for the responses.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey beldredge,

The E90 is not an option. For a family man it is too small.

The 525xi is a great BMW and not only as the first BMW.

I would however go for the 525xiA or even forget about
the x and get a 530iA.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

"1) It's not like I'm really young (I'm 33), but I wonder if a 5-series is "too much car" at this point in my life. A 3-series seems to fit me more as my "first" BMW, but the fact is, I could really use the larger space.

2) It's funny, "power" was at the the bottom of my list of priorities in this car search, but now I'm wondering if the 525 is responsive enough. I definitely value overall balance and handling over acceleration (I drive a TSX), so I should be OK with this. I think it's more of a mental thing than anything else right now.

3) Resale - I'd want a manual trannie and have thought that when it comes time to trade-in or sell, a 3-series with a manual would be much more marketable than a 5-series. I know, I know, you gotta buy what you want, but it is something I've considered.

4) Reliability - anyone else come from primarily Hondas/Toyotas and notice significant reliability concerns? Or is that more myth than fact?"

My replies are below:

On 1), a 3 would be fine, but a 5 would be better.

On 2), I would not enjoy the power of a 525, but its power should be fine for you.

On 3), I would not even think about resale when it comes to choosing a tranny. As you say, buy what you want. All will be disposable for reasonable $.

On 4), reliability is something of a crap shoot. My 545i has been very reliable. Unless you are very unlucky, you will have no significant problems with a BMW.