E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A 525xi - a good "starter" BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Hey all - I know some of these issues are addressed in other similar posts, but was curious on owners' responses to my particular "dilemma."

After test drives of several different cars, I'm pretty much down to the BMW 3-series and 5-series as my top choices. I was pretty set on a 330xi, but I'm having a hard time getting over the small size of the car. That's one of my gripes about my current car, so it's hard for me to justify the move to a 3-series, even though it's better in many other ways. I'm pretty tall at 6'3", and I have two young boys. Mine is not the primary family hauler, but nevertheless, I do regularly have the kids in my car for transportation to and from daycare.

So, naturally, the 5-series appeals to me for it's size. It's a stretch, though, budget-wise, so the only model I could reasonably consider is the 525xi. Here are the "issues" I'm considering (some might seem silly, but I'm just putting them out there):

1) It's not like I'm really young (I'm 33), but I wonder if a 5-series is "too much car" at this point in my life. A 3-series seems to fit me more as my "first" BMW, but the fact is, I could really use the larger space.

2) It's funny, "power" was at the the bottom of my list of priorities in this car search, but now I'm wondering if the 525 is responsive enough. I definitely value overall balance and handling over acceleration (I drive a TSX), so I should be OK with this. I think it's more of a mental thing than anything else right now.

3) Resale - I'd want a manual trannie and have thought that when it comes time to trade-in or sell, a 3-series with a manual would be much more marketable than a 5-series. I know, I know, you gotta buy what you want, but it is something I've considered.

4) Reliability - anyone else come from primarily Hondas/Toyotas and notice significant reliability concerns? Or is that more myth than fact?

Of course, with all that, it may come down to this - I want AWD, in a proper mid-sized car, and I want it with a manual transmission. Honestly, no bias, is there any other choice out there? A6 doesn't offer it anymore, nor does the M35 or GS300.

Interestingly, a local dealer has, on the lot, a 525xi with the only options being leather and heated seats (not even premium package, just leather). I love the exterior color (white), and am lukewarm on the interior (beige). However, I've told them that if they have trouble finding a buyer (which I would think they would) and want to make a great deal on it, I may be interested.

We'll see - sorry for the long post, but am interested in what others think. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

I think it would be a good "starter" car (If that's what you're trying to achieve), which would be fun to drive, even in snow; hold its value fairly well; and do everything you need it to do, very well. It's not going to be as fun as the 330, but you have to decide what's more important: room, prestige, technology, comfort, and driveability; or having a bunch of fun blasting around in a "near-luxury" car that everyone will soon own, right along with you.

Get the 525. If that's your "starter" BMW, you'll be starting a lot sooner than I did.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Addendum:

Compared to Honda or Toyota, you're going to have decent long-term reliability concerns. Even if no one else here wants to admit the obvious, even while sitting in the BMW repair shop, while their car has reliability concerns.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I had a similar issue. I am 33 as well and wanted a starter BMW. I was shopping for a second car and was all set on the 330i. I just happened to test drive a 525i while at the dealership and the space and overall ability of the car sold me. I also have 2 young kids and its nice to know that if I need to take them somewhere I have the room for it. I am glad that I made the choice that I did. I came from a Honda Accord (now the wifes car) so the horsepower in the 525i is enough for me. Sure the 330i has more horsepower but the cons outweighed the pros when I looked at it from a family point of view. The handling, luxury, and roominess of the 5 is what i look forward to everyday when I drive it.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

I don't know where you live, but I would consider trading off the all wheel drive and get the 525 (maybe even a 530, they have good deals right now) and possibly a few more options. You will pick up about .5 sec. to 60 along with handling and gas mileage.

I put winter performance tires on my two RWD cars and they go just fine and stop ten times better than my old 330xi with all season tires. I have taken the 545 to VT skiing and passed many SUV's stuck, thinking they are invinceable.

Personally I like driving the '06 330i better, but I would think the 5 is much better suited to your size.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by jmatthe' post='243395' date='Feb 20 2006, 06:31 PM
I don't know where you live, but I would consider trading off the all wheel drive and get the 525 (maybe even a 530, they have good deals right now) and possibly a few more options. You will pick up about .5 sec. to 60 along with handling and gas mileage.

I put winter performance tires on my two RWD cars and they go just fine and stop ten times better than my old 330xi with all season tires. I have taken the 545 to VT skiing and passed many SUV's stuck, thinking they are invinceable.

Personally I like driving the '06 330i better, but I would think the 5 is much better suited to your size.
I agree, the XI is unnecessary if you get snow tires.

I'm a purist, and I believe the thing that separates BMWs from all other sedans is the handling. Because of that, I do not believe an AWD XI model is a good "starter" BMW because its handling is not representative of BMW's history and philosophy. BMW's essense is about rear wheel drive dynamics. I assume that you want to get into a BMW to sample everything it has to offer, and that includes the sensation of rear wheel drive.

Many of us here are younger than you think. Its not a question of age that makes you ready for this car or not. You'll be ready when you feel ready.

As for other AWD sedans with manual, have you looked at the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and Subaru Impreza STI? They may be smaller, but their performance is awesome. There's also the Audi A4 and S4 but they are small too.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Members

Well, I guess I must be the 'ol geezer...35! I've had similair concerns choosing between the 3 and 5 series. For me, the clincher is the 3 series interior leg space. When I drive, my right leg wants to splay out a bit. With the 3 series, it rests against the trim piece. I know from past expereice with an A4 that this position causes me a lot of discomfort...especially on long drives. The 5 series lower dash has a cut-out where my leg goes, so it does not touch the trim. Much more confortable.

Choice for me is clear-cut. 5 series...530i

(Course, I won't be getting one until this time next year, but who's counting....)
Old 02-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

The 330 will be a lot more powerful than a 525, but if power isn't a concern (but, this IS the ultimate DRIVING machine) and size is, you'er probably right where you ought to be. FWIW, I bought my first 5 (High performance 535iS 5 speed) at 40, and had managed to survive on 2002s and 3 series and a 190 MB up till then. I'm 6'3 210; You''ll live.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i.... Saphire Black Metallic...19 inch Axis Milanos....Auburn dakota interior.....ACS rear lip spoiler... And a whole lot of head turns ;)

You werent alone, I am 6'2 and liked the 330i alot, however it was cramped a bit, and i did not like the fact that alot of my neighbours and friends had 3 series', The dealer let me test drive the 525i, and I thorougly enjoyed it, I liked the bold styling, the idrive and the performance, however I was offered a great deal on a 530i. so i ended up with it!.

However, If i didnt get a good deal on the 530, i would have ended up with the 525. Im not into racing, or speed that much, I wanted an appealing car, and something thats business like. and the 5 does it with ease.

Having 2 kids a young girl and a boy, I would definately reccomend the 5. I drove a Lexus GS400 before, and an es300 before that, and to be honest, nothing compares to the ultimate driving machine

5'er all the way!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Some thoughts firts of all if you are not a 'billionaire' to spend money on having a 'fun-car' forget the e90!
It is a mini-E60 but still nah for everydays...
Welcome to 5ers club even if you buy the smallest (2L) -def not small in my opinion, BMW e60 is a L(e)uxus car so no worry there.
If you can get xi you will have a perfect traction and no probs even on uneven terrains, but for xi you would have a bigger gap, so ask a very good deal from your dealer, and ask for M pack spolilers or buy it after from ebay and the gap will be smaller at least more sporty looking, anyway you cannot go wrong with an E60

Quick Reply: A 525xi - a good "starter" BMW?