E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3K 535i Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Correct assessment.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi base sedan

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
i'm so jealous of your lift.
gook luck with the overhaul.
Same. Doing one job for the OFHG/oil cooler gaskets made me say "hey, I saved so much money, don't think twice about paying for tools to get the job done."

​​​​​​I haven't reached lift status yet. Goals and dreams though!

​​​​​
Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi base sedan

Hey Kaane, Is that an aftermarket steering wheel?

How long have you been working on cars/BMWs? Do it by trade or DIY?
Thanks for your report on this vehicle, very helpful in keeping in mind of what to be on the look out for around this mileage. This one seems to be of relatively low mileage for some of the issues though, as compared to my vehicle (which has poor maintenance records).

Old 01-03-2019, 08:46 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

Nah, stock sport package steering wheel.

I have been working on cars for a long time now. My first project car was like 20 years ago I do it for fun, but I change cars very often so always something new to learn.

Seems like pretty much everything on this car that breaks often needs replacing.

Here is some common things.
  • Oil Cooler Leak
  • Oil Pan Leak
  • Control arms shot
  • Motor mounts failed
  • Transmission bad - cracked sealing bridge and if was not caught soon enough so it blew the rest of the transmission
  • Differential bushings worn
  • Shock mounts cracked
  • Water pump was replaced in 2015, so that I won't have to touch.
  • Rear Main seal is leaking as well
  • Index 9 injectors are failing
  • Wastegates on both turbos completely worn out
So If I was not a DIY person, this car would be a horrible car to own.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 AM
New Members

Took the old wastegate apart. Completely worn out. Rest of the turbos are in good shape, no play, no leaks. Ordered a new flapper and bushing.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 PM
New Members

Got new wastegate parts. Pressed the bushing in and installed the new flapper and welded it up. Works great, no more play.

All done

Also got a new engine stand that is geared with a crank. So much easier to rotate the engine, you can spin it with one hand. Now i can do the pan gasket and get the block all clean.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 PM
New Members

While the turbo's were out I measured axial play. Not super happy with the results. Spec is 0.0015 to 0.003in. My front turbo is at 0.0095in, so totally shot. I think I will order some RB Stage 1's and reuse my turbine housing.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:10 PM
New Members

Decided to skip the 6mt swap since the car will be a daily driver and the cost was getting pretty high. I do want the transmission to be reliable though. Going to do a full rebuild that will include upgraded bushings from Propulsive Dynamics and their upgraded G3 clutches that hold extra 30%. I will get the valvebody refreshed with a sonnax zip kit and all new solenoids along with a new torque converter. Should be good for 700hp and 100k miles.

Did some seals and gaskets on the engine. Removed and Installed front and rear main seal and pan gasket. Valve Cover and new injectors.

Front Seal getting removed

Seal out

Special sealant you need to inject with the new seal to keep it from leaking around the bedplate.

Front seal getting installed

Front seal all done with sealant injected and primer

Rear seal getting installed

Oil Pan removed, prepping for new gasket

Oil Pan gasket installed all new aluminum bolts and torqued to spec

New Index 12 Injectors

New Valve Cover installed

Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 525DA
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 525 M57 straight six @225BHP

Keep up the good work Kaane! I really appreciate the hard work. I can't wait to see you finish the car and see it on the road.
Sorry for my english!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:37 PM
New Members

Started on the transmission rebuild.

Took it all apart and did an inspection. The clutches didn't look super bad, but A clutch was worn on the edges, so bushings had too much play. E clutch bushings were totally shot way too much play.

Ordered some upgraded propulsive dynamics bushings that are better construction.

Here is a list of other parts for the rebuild.

1. Clutch Kit
2. Steels (they go between the clutches)
3. Bushing Kit
4. Full overhaul gasket set - ZF
5. Sonnax Zip Kit
6. Solenoid Kit - ZF

All taken apart.

Pump being inspected, all good, no wear, just replaced o-rings and front seal and sealing rings.

Pump all assembled, new stator bushing pressed in.

These cursed things took the longest. Pulling these bushings out of blind holes is an exercise in frustration. I had to buy 2 blind hole pullers to remove some of them. In the end, I got them all out

Here are the new bushings. They are all single piece construction unlike factory ones.

Valvebody was next. I used an ultrasonic cleaner to get the parts clean.

Valvebody split

All clean

All the valves out

New solenoids

Ready for assembly, Sonnax zip kit installed and new separator plate was used as well.

Valvebody all done

Now just waiting for the clutch packs and I can start assembly of the rest of the transmission.

In the mean time, my intercooler arrived. Got the PSP 600, since it's specific to the 535i and has a very nice dense core without needing to hack anything. Even comes with brackets to relocate the transmission cooler. Super nice.

Since my front turbos had play, I need a replacement. I was just going to get some stock ones, but I decided to roll the dice and try some fresh Chinesium , surprisingly they look pretty good, fit nicely and came with VSR balance sheets. Since my goal is only around 450whp maybe a bit more, I won't be spinning them super fast and maybe they will last. These have 16T compressors good for about 600whp. I know they won't last 100k miles, but neither will my motor. If they fail I'll just build the motor and upgrade them to something nicer.

Tried my new VSRF downpipes and VRSF inlets. On as well. Fit nicely. Inlets are 2 inch, to match the turbos.

While waiting on more parts, I inspected the rest of the suspension.

Strut mounts are destroyed, front struts completely collapsed. I ordered some Koni FSD replacements.

Sad mount

Collapsed strut

Fun continues

Quick Reply: 3K 535i Project