E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 545i sounds like a truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 PM
ZAW
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 2004 545i with 80k miles on the car. I love it, it's my baby. Though, as I was driving to work today I realized the car started sounding like a truck. It sounds as if the car is straight piped, kind of sounds like a 2500hd. The idle seems fine, performance doesn't quite seem there, though i reset the gas mileage for my ride home and i was getting fine mileage. I tried searching the forum to find a similar problem and had no luck. The sound seems to come to be coming from behind the front tire, under the engine. If someone could point me in the correct direction of diagnosing the problem that would be great.

Happy driving

Zac
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAW
I recently bought a 2004 545i with 80k miles on the car. I love it, it's my baby. Though, as I was driving to work today I realized the car started sounding like a truck. It sounds as if the car is straight piped, kind of sounds like a 2500hd. The idle seems fine, performance doesn't quite seem there, though i reset the gas mileage for my ride home and i was getting fine mileage. I tried searching the forum to find a similar problem and had no luck. The sound seems to come to be coming from behind the front tire, under the engine. If someone could point me in the correct direction of diagnosing the problem that would be great.

Happy driving

Zac
Sounds like exhaust leak. Are you getting error messages? Are you able to read faults?

Suggest you put it on jack stands (or on a lift if you know someone) and get underneath while it is running to see and hear it up close. If it sounds like it is coming from near the engine remove both belly pans before starting the engine.

Wear heavy gloves and safety glasses. After listening and locating the source of the noise you will probably be able to cover a hole or break in the exhaust system and hear the sound change.

Be careful.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
ZAW
New Members

Thanks for the timely reply.

I am not getting any error messages and that's why I posted here to find out how to start diagnosing my problem.

I will be putting the car in the air and going from there.

Is it safe to assume its an exhaust issue?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Members

is the sound coming from the engine bay kinda like a deep bass humming at idle?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAW
Thanks for the timely reply.

I am not getting any error messages and that's why I posted here to find out how to start diagnosing my problem.

I will be putting the car in the air and going from there.

Is it safe to assume its an exhaust issue?
No, you have to locate the source of the sound. From your initial explanation of "straight pipe" sound I surmised it was exhaust escaping before the cat and muffler.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM
ZAW
New Members

Not a deep bass humming.

I am going to put it on the lift in the early a.m. and that should give me somewhere to start. The sound definitely suggests that the exhaust is coming out before the cat and muffler.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks for all the help
Old 09-08-2012, 08:14 AM
ZAW
New Members

Got it resolved this morning.

Turns out the bolts that connect the exhaust under the car had rusted out. The exhaust was fully connected just not tight resulting in an obnoxious sound.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by ZAW
Got it resolved this morning.

Turns out the bolts that connect the exhaust under the car had rusted out. The exhaust was fully connected just not tight resulting in an obnoxious sound.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Seems like a common problem. Same thing happened with mine. Nuts at the headers to the b-pipe connection rusted completely.