E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 530i won't start after battery change!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
(1) The AGM battery can be used in any yr E60. It was not introduced until the LCI era.
(2) It doesn't matter what battery you put in as lock as it has the appropriate cranking amps and is similar
. YOu bought and H8 which is dead on for specs. I bet it's even made in Europe probably CZ.
This may sound stupid but are you pressing on the brake pedal?
Also, use a different key and see what happens.'
There is nothing special about your E60, it's like any other car really except for a few things which I won't go into because it's simply not worth talking about. The major changes came later on in the E60 life
(1) is correct ... You can use it in any year e60.
(2) is not totally correct ... the charging and discharge characteristics of AGM batteries is different than conventional (flooded/wet) battery and our car's complicated electrical technology wasn't update-able to accommodate AGMs until very late-production '07 e60s and newer and when AGM batteries were introduced as standard.

So yes, while it is "possible" to use an AGM in an '04, and "register" per cranking amps, the way it is charged may not work to ensure the replacement (AGM) battery will last.

That said, I do suspect the OP no-start situation is beyond battery and have something to do with starting or ignition stuff.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Members

Look into the "Integrated Supply Module". Probably a longshot, but mine went bad, and the most prevalent symptom was a no start when pushing the button (07, 550i). Part is ~$120, was in stock at my dealership, and took 20 minutes to replace. If you do some research on this part, you'll find some others (mostly 7 series) that have has the same issue. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
(1) is correct ... You can use it in any year e60.
(2) is not totally correct ... the charging and discharge characteristics of AGM batteries is different than conventional (flooded/wet) battery and our car's complicated electrical technology wasn't update-able to accommodate AGMs until very late-production '07 e60s and newer and when AGM batteries were introduced as standard.

So yes, while it is "possible" to use an AGM in an '04, and "register" per cranking amps, the way it is charged may not work to ensure the replacement (AGM) battery will last.

That said, I do suspect the OP no-start situation is beyond battery and have something to do with starting or ignition stuff.
No, it's correct. He has an 04 and 05. I know some of us want to think our cars are special but they're not so special during the first two years, they're just like most other BMW and cars for that matter.

Like I said you can use AGM or non-AGM doesn't matter. You can put an H8 and 94R/49R whatever as long as it matches up...the point is it should start. You do not need to program it to the car for it to "WORK" come on man.
Actually you didn't even tell us if you get lights, unlock etc...
Jump the car and see if it even kicks over. Does it? Do you get lights?
There is a crash safety module attached to your battery's + cable perhaps you messed with that. and it popped out. Push it back in. try again.
I find it hard to believe that you just changed the battery and it doesnt work.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
No, it's correct. He has an 04 and 05. I know some of us want to think our cars are special but they're not so special during the first two years, they're just like most other BMW and cars for that matter.

Like I said you can use AGM or non-AGM doesn't matter. You can put an H8 and 94R/49R whatever as long as it matches up...the point is it should start. You do not need to program it to the car for it to "WORK" come on man.
Actually you didn't even tell us if you get lights, unlock etc...
Jump the car and see if it even kicks over. Does it? Do you get lights?
There is a crash safety module attached to your battery's + cable perhaps you messed with that. and it popped out. Push it back in. try again.
I find it hard to believe that you just changed the battery and it doesnt work.
Yeah, I don't think AGM/non-AGM is the issue as the last battery was AGM as well. I tried jumping the car with no success. Sometimes I hear a click or two, but as of now, not even clicks. I do get lights, iDrive, OBC, radio, unlock, etc.

I went to autozone to check the new battery and they said that it was at 89% and they are charging it now. I would think that's the problem, but then even the old battery doesn't allow me to start the car. When I get the new battery back I will double check on the safety module you noted.

Thanks again everyone for the help so far.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well, if jumping isn't working, and you are getting electricity since you have lights and iDrive it definitely sounds like another issue not related to battery.

Probably the starter would be my guess.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Well, if jumping isn't working, and you are getting electricity since you have lights and iDrive it definitely sounds like another issue not related to battery.

Probably the starter would be my guess.
Simon is correct cause i asked him few weeks ago about my no crank and no start aftert jump start. My car also had the same symptoms as you and the corporate was the starter and new battery took care of the problem. Hope this help you figure out your issues if not then i dont know what would be going on