E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 BMW 5-Series Radio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just received my car from the dealer shop (2004 530i). The reason I took it in was for a similar reason with the radio. For whatever reason, the radio reception would contain a good deal of static. At times, I would start the car and the radio had no reception whatsoever....... when I switched to CD, it would just hang there and I wouldn't be able to control anything related to the stereo again.

The dealer replaced the "ASK" box which was said to be malfunctioning. The new "ASK" box required a new telecommucations module, which was just replaced as well. So far, I have not had the same issues with the stereo, but the radio still presents too much static for my taste when the antenna reception is showing full reception. The stock stereo is still lacking compared to the response of stock stereos in previous year's models of the 5-series.

A question I have for the group is as follows:

I do not have the Logic 7 upgrade, which should still leave me with 10 beautifully balanced speakers in the stock stereo. However, compared to the performance in stock stereos of other loaner cars I've driven, I'm just not getting very good sound. I also can only seem to find seven of the 10 speakers. Does anyone know where all the speakers are supposed to be located in the new 5??????

Thanks!!!!

04 Grey Metallic/black 530i
Xeons
Premium Package
5 Speed Auto
Old 03-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

A lot of people have reported the static radio issue. Your dealer should know all about it by now. It's been reported several times on this board and the Roadfly board. Last I heard, a software upgrade is expected that should remedy the problem. But when? Who knows...

I don't know about you, but a car that costs more than $50,000 should not have a staticy radio right from the start! I'd hammer on your dealer over and over again until they do something about it.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:02 PM
sj3
Senior Members

MrMack: When you say it's worse than previous 5-series, I'm not so sure. My '00 540i has the same symptoms as reported on these forums. Also, the reception on my '97 328is wasn't really that great. Logic-7, as I understand it, doesn't provide a better tuner, but upgrades the amp and speakers, and adds a cd-changer. I've never heard or seen logic-7 refer to an upgraded tuner. That would be great if it did. HTH.

Sam
Old 03-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Members

Thanks, for those who responded earlier. It's been an ongoing joke (at least while I still have a sense of humor about it) that I was extremely upset with the dealer for having to spend 53K for an automobile, and then find out later that I have to pay extra for a walkman and headphones to listen to clear music! Another interesting thing is that it seems to get worse with overcast weather (NEVER had this problem with the Lexus). I wonder if it's an antenna problem?

Does anyone know where the standard placement is of the stereo speakers in the new 5? I just traded my Lexus GS300 with the Lexus stock stereo in it. The sound from the Lexus stock radio seems to be far superior than that of my new 5 (keep in mind that the handling of my new 5 blows the Lexus out of the water, so I'm quite happy with the new car). So far I've found the following:

2) tweeters in top of each front door panel
2) mid range speaker in middler of front seat door panel
1) small sub in top middle of the dash
2) mid range speakers in rear car window.

That leaves me with three (3) speakers out of the ten that are supposed to come with the stock radio that I still haven't been able to locate.

I'm simply not getting the mid-range and base response that I should be getting compared to 2001 and 2002 BMW 5-series models with the stock stereo. I've heard of issues with last year's 7-series speaker system where certain speakers weren't working at all due to wiring issues, so I'm simply trying to locate everything to put an "ear" to the situation.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Members

also check under seat...
Old 03-27-2004, 06:13 PM
sj3
Senior Members

MrMack: I know logic-7 puts subs under the driver and passenger seats. I'm not sure what's there, if anything, with the stock stereo. I've seen posts on this and other forae with links to diagrams with the speaker-placement identified. Search for 'stereo' or 'sound' in the subject fields. Also, I didn't see the rear doors in your list, which should add 2 to your total so far.

Sam
Old 03-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Guest_MrMack

Thanks Sam...... but believe it or not.... there are no speakers in the rear doors of my car....... which I find to be odd. I'll see if I can locate anything under the seats.

MrMack
Old 03-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

speakers in the rear doors are only there if u have logic 7
Old 03-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

My Logic & system sounds terrible as well when the radio is on.

The CD on the other hand is great.

I also agree that the E39 had better reception in its premium sound system.

I know this first hand b/c I traded my 2003 530i for my 545!

I am also disappointed with this issue. A car that costs so much should be perfect when it comes to production and the first year of production shouldn't be a year of experiments with people money and patients.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Members

What exactly is the process for reporting an issue directly to BMW? I know our dealer's service departments are probably in touch with them related to these issues, but I think a little urgency can be shed to the situation if BMW gets the "message" directly from their customers.

MrMack

Quick Reply: 2004 BMW 5-Series Radio Issues