E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i
Default Need Advice

Hey guys Ive been having a rough day trying to see why my ignition coil failed. But getting to the point I have a 2004 530i Titanium Silver Auto with 132K miles it runs trans is brand new but I'm thinking of parting it out or selling it what do you guys think? Kinda want to get into something new. Basically the issue Im having at the moment is the ignition coil snapped in half last night so today I went to buy a new one and a new spark plug but it is still running rough.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Have you checked all of the other coils and plugs?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi
Model Year: 2006

Mine were intermittent rough idling, found 2 coils snapped off right by the plugs, a paint to get all the pieces out. At 132k, you probably need to replace all the coils and plugs if you have not have them done. I replaced the coils and plugs for under $500. Really easy DYI, just little grease on your knuckle and you can get your car back on the swing.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60 530i

Originally Posted by quanger
Mine were intermittent rough idling, found 2 coils snapped off right by the plugs, a paint to get all the pieces out. At 132k, you probably need to replace all the coils and plugs if you have not have them done. I replaced the coils and plugs for under $500. Really easy DYI, just little grease on your knuckle and you can get your car back on the swing.
Yea I started to get a rough idle knocking noise and Ive read it was somewhat normal on my motor so I didnt really think twice. Took the car to San Diego drove back fine and later just went onto the freeway and it started to sound like a hammerjack... turns out the coil snapped off the spark plug. I got it home and found no spark plug in cylinder 5 so I got a new ignition coil and spark plug and it was back up and running. The Coils and plugs were replaced about 1 year ago when I got the car as recorded by BMW. If I can shed any advice for anyone that reads this by the coil from Autozone its 1. Cheaper 2. Made by bosch so it fits perfectly. The first one i bought from pepboys the locking hinge did not lock correctly so I spent a good 4 hours trying to figure it out when it was a simple issue
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by BRKracing
Yea I started to get a rough idle knocking noise and Ive read it was somewhat normal on my motor so I didnt really think twice. Took the car to San Diego drove back fine and later just went onto the freeway and it started to sound like a hammerjack... turns out the coil snapped off the spark plug. I got it home and found no spark plug in cylinder 5 so I got a new ignition coil and spark plug and it was back up and running. The Coils and plugs were replaced about 1 year ago when I got the car as recorded by BMW. If I can shed any advice for anyone that reads this by the coil from Autozone its 1. Cheaper 2. Made by bosch so it fits perfectly. The first one i bought from pepboys the locking hinge did not lock correctly so I spent a good 4 hours trying to figure it out when it was a simple issue

Nice, I'm glad you got this resolved.