5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Need Advice (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/need-advice-141626/)

BRKracing 04-08-2015 03:29 PM

Need Advice

Hey guys Ive been having a rough day trying to see why my ignition coil failed. But getting to the point I have a 2004 530i Titanium Silver Auto with 132K miles it runs trans is brand new but I'm thinking of parting it out or selling it what do you guys think? Kinda want to get into something new. Basically the issue Im having at the moment is the ignition coil snapped in half last night so today I went to buy a new one and a new spark plug but it is still running rough.

Boost7 04-08-2015 03:41 PM

Have you checked all of the other coils and plugs?

quanger 04-08-2015 04:17 PM

Mine were intermittent rough idling, found 2 coils snapped off right by the plugs, a paint to get all the pieces out. At 132k, you probably need to replace all the coils and plugs if you have not have them done. I replaced the coils and plugs for under $500. Really easy DYI, just little grease on your knuckle and you can get your car back on the swing.

BRKracing 04-13-2015 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by quanger (Post 1560719)
Mine were intermittent rough idling, found 2 coils snapped off right by the plugs, a paint to get all the pieces out. At 132k, you probably need to replace all the coils and plugs if you have not have them done. I replaced the coils and plugs for under $500. Really easy DYI, just little grease on your knuckle and you can get your car back on the swing.

Yea I started to get a rough idle knocking noise and Ive read it was somewhat normal on my motor so I didnt really think twice. Took the car to San Diego drove back fine and later just went onto the freeway and it started to sound like a hammerjack... turns out the coil snapped off the spark plug. I got it home and found no spark plug in cylinder 5 so I got a new ignition coil and spark plug and it was back up and running. The Coils and plugs were replaced about 1 year ago when I got the car as recorded by BMW. If I can shed any advice for anyone that reads this by the coil from Autozone its 1. Cheaper 2. Made by bosch so it fits perfectly. The first one i bought from pepboys the locking hinge did not lock correctly so I spent a good 4 hours trying to figure it out when it was a simple issue

Boost7 04-13-2015 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BRKracing (Post 1561010)
Yea I started to get a rough idle knocking noise and Ive read it was somewhat normal on my motor so I didnt really think twice. Took the car to San Diego drove back fine and later just went onto the freeway and it started to sound like a hammerjack... turns out the coil snapped off the spark plug. I got it home and found no spark plug in cylinder 5 so I got a new ignition coil and spark plug and it was back up and running. The Coils and plugs were replaced about 1 year ago when I got the car as recorded by BMW. If I can shed any advice for anyone that reads this by the coil from Autozone its 1. Cheaper 2. Made by bosch so it fits perfectly. The first one i bought from pepboys the locking hinge did not lock correctly so I spent a good 4 hours trying to figure it out when it was a simple issue

Nice, I'm glad you got this resolved.