E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

08 535xi front hub loose without axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xi
Default 08 535xi front hub loose without axle

wondering if this is normal or if my hub is bad. its got about a 1/4 play without the axle and axle nut installed.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

More detail needed. But any play in the wheel bearing assembly is no good.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by audiophool
More detail needed. But any play in the wheel bearing assembly is no good.
what more detail is needed? the hub has about 1/4" of play without the axle and axle nut being installed. i dont want to fully tighten the axle nut if i have to take it back off to replace the wheel bearing. i did run it down a little bit but not all the way with the torq wrench. theres still play so i imagine the bearing is junk. when i spin it, it sounds and feels fine, but jus seems like there's too much play. when i took the rotor off and pressed on on side of the hub then the other, it doess rock a bit. i was hoping that was just because the axle was in so obvi the axle nut wasnt torqued. but even after putting the axle in and running the nut down a bit, it didnt seem to get any better.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 AM
New Members

Default 08 535xi installing front axle

how do you know when the axle is in all the way? i would imagine its when the circlip is in, but i jus replaced my front right axle again because the first one i replaced came apart and broke the axle housing/supporting bracket in less than 10k miles. when installing both of them, the circlip was in but the plastic cap on the axle is like 1/8 of an inch from being flush againt the supporting bracket. it goes over the end of the supporting bracket a bit, but it doesnt sit up tight against it. i can't get it to go any further.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:41 AM
New Members

The request for more detail is you don't mention exactly where the play was seen, and there are other parts that might have play such as ball joints.
If the wheel bearing is seated in the hub, and you have play between its outer and the inner race, you have a bad wheel bearing. The drive axle provides no additional tightness. And 1/4" play in that bearing is frightening.

And for the axle's inner CV, yes - fully seated means the circlip 'clicks' into place inside the differential. I've not done the 535, but my X5 inner joints went in with a distinct 'snap' when seated. I prised the CV inward to overcome the tension of the axle seal.

Last edited by audiophool; 03-25-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:52 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by audiophool
The request for more detail is you don't mention exactly where the play was seen, and there are other parts that might have play such as ball joints.
If the wheel bearing is seated in the hub, and you have play between its outer and the inner race, you have a bad wheel bearing. The drive axle provides no additional tightness. And 1/4" play in that bearing is frightening.

And for the axle's inner CV, yes - fully seated means the circlip 'clicks' into place inside the differential. I've not done the 535, but my X5 inner joints went in with a distinct 'snap' when seated. I prised the CV inward to overcome the tension of the axle seal.
the play is in the hub itself. i wasnt doing the standard test with the wheel on looking for play in the front end. everything was removed, even the rotor, so it was only the spindle/knuckle bolted to the bottom of the strut, and the hub inside the knuckle. axle, control arms, rotor, everything was removed as i had taken the axle out and was about to put it back together. i had my thumbs on either side of the hub, or the top and bottom of the hub, and pressing the face of the hub with one thumb at a time the hub would rock.

i figured the axle was in all the way since the circlip was seated, it wouldnt just slid back out, and it wouldnt go in any further. just looks like it should go another 1/16-1/8" because the plastic cap that sits over the outer edge of the supporting bearing was sitting over the outer edge a little bit, but wasnt butted up tight against the housing. the outer edge of the housing has a step down thats about 3/16" wide and the plastic cap sits over that edge just a bit so its about 1/16-1/8 away from being flush up against the housing of the supporting bearing. looks like it should go in a little further, but neither the first axle i put in nor this one would go in any further. i didnt get to see where it sat when i pulled the original axle out.

was just making sure it was in all the way since the last axle failed in like 5-7k miles. i know its fairly common for the bolts of the motor mounts to break or come out, but as far as i can see all the bolts to the passenger side motor mount are there, but there seems to be one missing from the driver side. its the passenger side axle that was replaced and being replaced again. i haven't come across anything else that would cause the axle to come apart at the inner joint like it did. the first one was replaced because of a vibration. it didnt come apart like the replacement did.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 PM
New Members

Sounds like you have a bunch of greif, starting when the axle housing broke. Have you replaced the broken bits?

As for play, by hub I guess you mean the wheel bearing. So if there's play it's not a good thing.