E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

535xi passenger axle and housing broke

Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535xi
Default 535xi passenger axle and housing broke

so the passenger side axle separated at the inner joint, and housing/supporting bracket it runs through bolted to the oil pan broke right off. 3 of the 4 bolts are still in the oil pan, the one on the top toward the rear of the car broke off with the axle housing/supporting bracket. the whole bracket is spinning. the car is on the side of the road about 3miles from my house. can i take the axle completely out and drive it home?

or take the front driveshaft off and drive it home with or without the drive axle in throught the oil pan and TC, but removed from the knuckle since thats the part thats flopping around and the part through the oil pan into the TC is straight since the cv joint is separated?
Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM
New Members

any advice? i took the broke axle and front driveshaft out today, its still parked where it broke down. i just wanted to make sure it would be safe to drive home, about 3miles, or at least not cause more problems gettin towed with the broken axle spinning.

ive read a few of the e9x guys pulling the front driveshafts and driving RWD for years without any problems. but they still had the axles in. i dont imagine it would make much of a difference not having the passenger side axle it but still having the driverside axle in. kinda just looking for some reassurance lol, or why it would cause damage if it would.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi wagon 6MT
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

I don't have a definitive answer but can try to pick my brain. Front diff is open, so all the torque will go to front passenger wheel. It can't spin super-fast or anything because the xDrive clutch pack is not a differential, so front drive shaft will continue to spin at the same speed as the rear (unless any of the transfer case gears are reduction gears, which I doubt). If it were my car and I wanted to get it home I would pull the front driveshaft if possible and drive it home, if not possible to do that, I'd try driving it home as-is without the axle. Sorry if that isn't a good idea, just my personal thoughts.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
I don't have a definitive answer but can try to pick my brain. Front diff is open, so all the torque will go to front passenger wheel. It can't spin super-fast or anything because the xDrive clutch pack is not a differential, so front drive shaft will continue to spin at the same speed as the rear (unless any of the transfer case gears are reduction gears, which I doubt). If it were my car and I wanted to get it home I would pull the front driveshaft if possible and drive it home, if not possible to do that, I'd try driving it home as-is without the axle. Sorry if that isn't a good idea, just my personal thoughts.
ya that was my plan. to pull the front driveshaft as well as the broken axle and supporting bracket/bearing.

i already have them out, just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to mess anything up driving it home like that. which i didnt think it would, but just wanted some reassurance. like if too much fluid would leak out and cause problems, or ony having one axle in would screw up the trans or TC.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:07 PM
New Members

thank you for your advice and replying