E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattling Noise From Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

topic name correction - cars 2004!! (not 2003)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to Cobradav's post about all SIB I'm now more convinced that my car has this problem:

no# 31 02 04 August-04 - Rattling Noise From Front or Rear Axle

while driving very slow on uneven road or railway crossing I can hear my front axel so much. I mean a lot. It feels like the axel is actually loose or something. It is no sharp or squiky sound. It is like knocking.... knock knock, very loud sound almost like two wooden poles knocking to each other.

It is like having the feeling you have 1000000 miles on the front axel and all your springs and chassi is done
The handling, shock and springs are fine. I have only 20000k km on my car so it can't be due to a usual wear or something.

Anybody? It seems that it might be a common problem for 2004 cars.
or maybe it is normal. I don't feel any banging to my steering wheel.
Do you guys here totaly nothing while riding over very uneven roads? or you can actually hear the components of the steering being there? or just totaly nothing at all???
Old 01-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Is this for only xi cars? I don't think 2wd cars have a front axle...? Maybe it's the steering rack or control arm?

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='222896' date='Jan 11 2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks to Cobradav's post about all SIB I'm now more convinced that my car has this problem:

no# 31 02 04 August-04 - Rattling Noise From Front or Rear Axle

while driving very slow on uneven road or railway crossing I can hear my front axel so much. I mean a lot. It feels like the axel is actually loose or something. It is no sharp or squiky sound. It is like knocking.... knock knock, very loud sound almost like two wooden poles knocking to each other.

It is like having the feeling you have 1000000 miles on the front axel and all your springs and chassi is done
The handling, shock and springs are fine. I have only 20000k km on my car so it can't be due to a usual wear or something.

Anybody? It seems that it might be a common problem for 2004 cars
Old 01-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Sorry Peter530i, I did not see this post right off.

Here is the bulletin for all to see:

SI B 31 02 04
Front Axle December 2004
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Rattling Noise From Front or Rear Axle

MODEL
All Models

SITUATION
When a vehicle is driven over road hazards such as potholes or bumps at excessive speed, wheel rims may become damaged. Soon after, a rattling noise may be heard from the front or rear axle.

CAUSE
Suspension components may become loose or damaged.

PROCEDURE
PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON VEHICLES WITH DAMAGED WHEEL RIMS.
Inspect and replace damaged wheel rims.

Check for any damage on the front and rear axle suspension components.

Check the torque of the wishbone/control arm locking nuts on both front and rear axles. Refer to the appropriate Repair Instructions for the torque values.

Replace any damaged parts.

Perform wheel alignment as necessary.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Damage which results from negligence or improper operation of the vehicle is not covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

hmmm. I definitely have no problem with rims. All nice and balanced very well.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi Peter530i,

You have reached the point where the normal BMW problems start,
a small but very typical one.

The front axel support has been as long as I remember (a long time)
a problem after some 50.000 - 150.000 km's.

It is not that expensive to fix, but you need to get your car to the dealers.

The complex system usually wears out some parts that has to be changed.

See this tread.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributors

the roads here suck big time but I have only 20.000 km??
I've heard that BMW superb handling skills and the great axle system wears out a lot.... but so soon already???
Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Something I certainly was not aware and no reports here on this forum yet other than what Peter530i is now reporting. We have many members with high mileage and have yet to hear of front axle or any suspension problems other than a couple of loose ABS sensors and or brake pad sensors. Vibrations, yes, but I am not aware of any that ultimately did not trace back to tire or wheel. Can someone point us to additional complaints or issues?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

so nobody has ever heard their front axle ever? damn, I was hoping it is just a regular thing if you drive over some very very bad roads....???
Old 01-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='223436' date='Jan 12 2006, 11:17 PM
so nobody has ever heard their front axle ever? damn, I was hoping it is just a regular thing if you drive over some very very bad roads....???
I'm sorry to say but I had the same problem with my E39 at some 50.000 km's.

It is not a unknown problem if you drive on bad roads, the front is quite sensitive,
therefore the nice handling on good roads.

And I have own a few BMW cars...
Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Contributors

still nobody with the same issue?
I really have this feeling it is something mechanical and that it is getting slightly worst and worst.....

Ricracing what did you have exchanged / serviced due to a same problem ?

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise From Front Axle