DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Upgrading of my Business to Professional Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daMANiack' post='405235' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:35 AM
Hi,

As soon as I was on the road, I inserted the Australian DVD and was advised that a new version had been detected and to turn it off for 5 minutes, then try again.

When I tried again inserting the Australian DVD, I was surprised that it displayed Adelaide which is the capital city in my state. Since then, the E60 Pro Navigation that I retrofitted myself has worked flawlessly.

Attachment 29788

There are 2 minor flaws that I hope will get corrected when the E60 goes in for Program v25 upgrade, but with the original Bus Nav re-fitted. Assuming the Progman v25 upgrades the E60 OK, I then have to quickly refit the Pro Nav parts so the v25 Pro Nav retrofit path software upgrade recognises the Pro Nav parts.

I'll keep you informed.

Cheerz
Why do you need to re-fit Bus Nav? You can do the upgrade with Pro Nav already installed. Progman will recognise Nav Pro and will make a total Nav Pro upgrade on it.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='405253' date='Mar 21 2007, 08:00 PM
Why do you need to re-fit Bus Nav? You can do the upgrade with Pro Nav already installed. Progman will recognise Nav Pro and will make a total Nav Pro upgrade on it.
Hi,

I was told by BMW Service, that the Pro Nav retrofit path software update will only be successful when the E60's current Progman version is identical to the version of the Retrofit path software. As my car was updated to v19 in December'06, the Pro Nav retrofit version is now about v25. For the E60 to allow the update to v25, all of original parts have to be installed for v25 to be completed.

Once the E60 is updated to v25, the Pro Nav parts can be installed and the v25 Pro Nav Retrofit path upgrade can be performed to update the newly installed Pro Nav parts.

At a cost of at least A$160/hour, I don't want any long programming sessions going on to do the retrofit path update.

Cheerz
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by daMANiack' post='405261' date='Mar 21 2007, 05:27 AM
I was told by BMW Service, that the Pro Nav retrofit path software update will only be successful when the E60's current Progman version is identical to the version of the Retrofit path software. As my car was updated to v19 in December'06, the Pro Nav retrofit version is now about v25. For the E60 to allow the update to v25, all of original parts have to be installed for v25 to be completed.
Once the E60 is updated to v25, the Pro Nav parts can be installed and the v25 Pro Nav Retrofit path upgrade can be performed to update the newly installed Pro Nav parts.
Can you please elaborate a little more on this, here's my understanding of this and let me know if I got it right:
They first need to update the car to the latest progman version (While I still have the M-Ask unit)
then, they need to do the Prof. Nav. retrofit path, while I still have the M-ask unit, is this correct?
Then I install all the parts, the CCC, high iDrive controller and all that good stuff
Then I need to have them do the retrofit of Nav Prof. again?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='422247' date='May 9 2007, 01:32 AM
Can you please elaborate a little more on this, here's my understanding of this and let me know if I got it right:
1) They first need to update the car to the latest progman version (While I still have the M-Ask unit)
2) then, they need to do the Prof. Nav. retrofit path, while I still have the M-ask unit, is this correct?
3) Then I install all the parts, the CCC, high iDrive controller and all that good stuff
4) Then I need to have them do the retrofit of Nav Prof. again?
Hi WB,

Nick might know the procedure a bit better than me as he's already gone through the process, what I said before is what BMW service told me.

1) Correct, the E60 has to be updated to the latest Progman version
2) No, the Retrofit path only is performed to update the Pro Nav parts to the same version as the latest Progman version
3) Correct
4) Correct, but the Pro Nav retrofit path only has to be performed at this stage

I'm still a little confused, a friend on another forum member with a E90 updated to Pro Nav without performing step 1) above. He found a problem though, the monitor he bought off eBay wasn't compatible and the dealer had to replace it with the latest so it was compatible with his Pro Nac CCC, then perform the retrofit path. I'm not sure if my dealer would do this.

Cheerz
Old 06-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Members

Thanks to dmaniak and others !!

Another business to Nav pro retro fit done

Just added a pro Nav kit from Amador, to my 06 525D SE after a software update to the car still fitted business nav from the dealer for other reasons - I'm assuming its now CIP V25.x

Anyway
Bought the missing kit parts and trim new, cost about 100 pounds for the looms and bits. The screen cable and front panel accounting for 75 of that.
my dealer wont fit SH parts, fair enough, they are a lot better than some, but will try and code it at my expense next week.

Anyway on an post 09/05 car there are some minor differences !!
  • You dont need the nav wire that goes to the CAS unit - saves loads time
  • You do need another small wire that goes from the menu/voice button to the I-drive
Given ive the benefit of others work (thanks) this stuff is surprisingly easy, if you have the SA606 NAV prep 1/2 the document disapears as well.
Being right hand drive, the uk passsinger side needs less stripping down took me 3 hours with a bit more still to do on the handsfree mic install
the centre console/idrive upgrade being the hard part as said

Everything works fine from power up once you change from Dutch in my case to English far better graphics, audio sounds better too ?

Except
  • The climate control is set to the advanced one - mine doesnt have this sadly.
  • The voice buttons do nothing as perhaps expected at CIP 25.x
I'm assuming that the retrocode will update the config to remove the advanced climate -This need more than a control unit id guess ?
The bluetooth i dont have yet.

Following other key order instructions and advising my dealer in advance, im hoping the voice control will then get enabled ?

Lets see how it goes next week

later version of instruction uploaded !!

MAE60D
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
later_e60navretro.pdf (1.05 MB, 338 views)
Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Members

Well guess what !!

Car goes to dealers and it ask for the code for Voice control, the part number in the BMW tech article has changed and
BMW UK are now greedy "people" and want 250 pounds for the code !! Can't blame the dealer as BMW spent a week deciding to charge for it
and guess what CIP 26 is out, ive ive got to put in the MASK unit get a CIP 26 done refit the Pro nav ??
I'm certainly not paying for the CIP 26 as that's not fair, and the garage want 2.5 hours at 100 pound an hour to recode the car and update the CCC firmware.

Not a happy bunny !!

Tempted to leave the thing as it is as it works fine, except I dont have bluetooth (nokia one instead parrot is tempting) and the only thing that doesnt work is the CCC thinks ive advanced climate so I cant change the cenre vent temporature.

Anyone retrofited bluetooth ? and advanced climate (this one looks harder !!)

Mark
Old 07-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525iA 2007 white, beige interior, buisness navigation, buisness phone, Xenon lights, Auto adaptive lights, CD changer

For me I'm waiting the missing parts to arrive before doing retrofit by myself.

Thanks to damaniack, he is helping me a lot.

From amador, I haven't got all the parts.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Members

hi,

i'm planning on upgrading my business nav to pro soon but i've got a question...

some people have said i can't fit secondhand parts as they are vin locked to the car they came out of and so can't be used in my car as the parts cannot be unlocked and recoded to my vin - is this true???

you all seem to be buying secondhand parts and not having any problems and i would like to sell my business parts to make sime money back but if they are locked to my car i can't, can i???

i did a full nav install on my e39 and the e60 seems very easy compared to that but the only thing is the coding by the dealer before and after - is it 100% nessasary???

thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by a803sgo' post='444017' date='Jul 6 2007, 10:07 AM
hi,

i'm planning on upgrading my business nav to pro soon but i've got a question...

some people have said i can't fit secondhand parts as they are vin locked to the car they came out of and so can't be used in my car as the parts cannot be unlocked and recoded to my vin - is this true???

you all seem to be buying secondhand parts and not having any problems and i would like to sell my business parts to make sime money back but if they are locked to my car i can't, can i???

i did a full nav install on my e39 and the e60 seems very easy compared to that but the only thing is the coding by the dealer before and after - is it 100% nessasary???

thanks.
Can't say whether they are Vin locked but the amador one worked fine !! So either they are not locked and its a BMW scare tactic or AMAdor unlocks them.
I have to say its a lot of cash even second hand, as you will have to buy cables at 100 GBP to go with amador kit I had small sigh of relief when it powered on fine and sprang in action. I fitted it myself due to good info from these chaps.

You might have problems selling the business nav - you see a few for sale anyone without nav would need the Nav prep kit -about 100+ pounds
plus you cant remove the business video cable from you car loom 50 pounds for another.

The big issue is what your car has Vs what the CCC is configured for in its previous life, My CCC had bluetooth and advanced climate - I have neither on the car it could think its got logic 7, CDCs, Dab,TV too

ive just got my car updated by the dealer to align the car to the CCC, Got my climate back to basic, but they missed the bluetooth - dont care about that might fit it anyway later. Plus the latest code in the CCC and car V26.0x I think ?? the car vehicle order at BMW is right.

This little task cost me 2.5 hours labour at 100 pounds an hour.

So the costs I had business nav and hence SA606

Amador kit for 06 model 760 GBP
extra cables, video, fan, mic and idrive wire 100
coding at dealer 250
SAT NAV DVD upgrade ( using the business nav disc to get pro) 99 pounds

I refused to pay the extended voice key charge at 240 pound as I consider it a borderline feature and BMW are being money grabbing @#$@# for asking for
it. Its definately better, I also will be adding ipod to it so another reason to do so but work on 1200 gbp fitted, still less than the 2900 plus fitting BMW UK would want.

Mark
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525iA 2007 white, beige interior, buisness navigation, buisness phone, Xenon lights, Auto adaptive lights, CD changer

I bought the kits, but many parts are missing. Amador havent sent them when I reclame.

LVDS Cable + CCC Fan + Fan wire harness, theses 3 main things were missing.
So I ordered LVDS Cable + I-Drive controller high from the dealer.
I should order CCC Fan + Fan wire harness

I have a question. could I use buisness nav fan?

Quick Reply: Upgrading of my Business to Professional Navigation