DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Upgrading of my Business to Professional Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my Australian May/2005 E60 530i Business Navigation to the Professional Navigation.

I bought secondhand parts from the same eBay seller for 1050 Euro shipped to Adelaide, Australia:

1) CCC Module DVD/MP3 (Professional 2 slot)
2) CID Bordmonitor 8,8 (No dead pixel, 100% error free)
3) I- Drive controller HIGH,(Voice Control)
4) Voice/Menu button
5) Microphone
6) CCC fan cable, LVDS cable, microphone cable
7) X13813 plug and connector insert
8) 2 slot CCC dashboard facia
9) Test European Professional Navigation DVD for test

After disconnecting the battery (-), I've installed all of the parts, with some help from Nine and some others.

I'm amazed, after turning on the Ignition key, the CID 8.8" and CCC 2 slot fired up. The I-Drive controller HIGH works a real treat, different from the clicking mechanical controller.

Working so far:
1) Radio
2) CD MP3's
3) DVD MP3's
4) Professional Navigation displays
5) Bluetooth
6) I-Drive text changed to English-UK
7) Spoken language is generally in English
8) etc.

Issues so far:
1) Car location is set to Munchen, Germany, but I believe this is because the E60 is garaged in a tin shed and probably the satellite waves can't penetrate. Will drive tomorrow.
2) Pressing the steering wheel Voice button, I get a girl speaking German

I did in this order:
1) Dealer updated to CIP 23.00 (I lost eyebrows)
2) Installed Professional Navigation parts as listed above

Now, the final stage I was going to do, was have BMW Service perform the Retrofit/Nav Pro path software upgrade, but I'm not sure now if it's needed, but it still maybe advisable.

As Nine and others have said, the most painful part of doing the upgrade is changing the I-Drive Controller to the HIGH version. I finished up almost taking off the centre console.

I must also give a big thankyou to Rudy. He continually uploads TIS and other explanations of what to do, and without these, it would've taken much longer.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheerz
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Contributors

So the used CCC and CID and everything didn't require recoding of the VIN? Thats weird. Poeple have advised me not to buy used CCC and CID or anything to upgrade to Prof. Nav, because I might run into issues like encoded VIN etc. Any comment on that?
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='387611' date='Feb 5 2007, 09:59 PM
So the used CCC and CID and everything didn't require recoding of the VIN? Thats weird. Poeple have advised me not to buy used CCC and CID or anything to upgrade to Prof. Nav, because I might run into issues like encoded VIN etc. Any comment on that?
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the MAIN parts, CCC and CID 8.8" have had the VIN No. etc. erased/stripped.

I'd been communicating with this guy for a few months trying to get the story right, I didn't want to outlay good money for something that needed to be chucked into the trash bin. It took so long because he doesn't speak much English, and I only speak English.

He guaranteed that it would work 100% in my E60, error free and no dead pixels.

I'm really surprised that it mainly seems to be working without BMW service performing the Retrofit/Nav Pro path software upgrade. It may be because my car had Business Navigation, or these parts had already been partly coded.

I must say that these parts didn't come out of the same car, the part dates are different.

Cheerz
Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Contributors

Man, if I could find myself a set of the same parts, I'll do the upgrade too. How many hours did it take you and NINE other people? Any difficulties?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='387624' date='Feb 5 2007, 11:23 PM
Man, if I could find myself a set of the same parts, I'll do the upgrade too. How many hours did it take you and NINE other people? Any difficulties?
Hi,

Even though the SA609 Retrofit instructions are pretty good, perhaps I'll take some photos as I put the parts back in and do some instructions.

It's not hard, the worst part is just knowing how some parts and wiring connectors pull apart, I broke a rear vent fixing tab as I removed the clamp the wrong way, I used super glue so it should be OK.

An approximate time to remove parts:
1) Disconnect battery in rear boot/truck - 5 minutes
2) Pry out Hazard switch - 10 seconds (using screwdriver)
3) Remove Front dash timber - 30 seconds (using flat screwdriver to lever out press-in fittings)
4) Remove M-ASK dashboard facia - 5 minutes (need to be careful to remove the press-in fixtures with long screwdriver and air-conditioning controls)
5) Remove CID 6.5" - 2 minutes (2 torque screws)
6) Remove Centre console rear timber facia - 5 minutes (2 press-in fittings, tight, you just don't want to break facia)
7) Remove Centre console rear air-con vents - 5 minutes (2 lever out press clamps, you need to lever out from inside console so you don't break plastic)
8) Remove 2 nuts - 2 minutes (holding down rear of centre console)
9) Remove torque screw attaching wiring socket,prevents rear of centre console being lifted up more than 8 inches - 2 minutes (this actually took me hours to find the screw under plastic bracket)
10) Slide out 2 carpet strips just below each side of console - 1 minute
11) Remove screw each side at front of centre console - 2 minutes
12 Unclip hand-grake leather gaiter - 5 minutes (you don't want to break plastic fittings)
13) Pull out gear lever selector - 1 minute
14) Unclip gear lever selector leather gaitor from centre console - 2 minutes
15) Pull off gear lever leather gaiter from the lever stem - 1 minute
16) Wiggle and lift up centre console through handgrake lever, and release front of console - 15 minutes (a real pain in the A$$, the handbrake lever is a tight fit)
17) Unscrew 4 torque screws holding the I-Drive controller to underneath of centre console - 5 minutes (worst part of job getting to I-Drive controller)
18) Run new LVDS cable behind dash - 5 minutes
19) Install navigation microphone next to sunroof lever in roof lining - 1 hour (need to remove windscreen pillar cover, passenger footwell triim, sunvisor and run cable behind air-bag)
20) Install new CCC - 30 minutes (just time consumer working out where new microphone and CCC Fan cables get connected
21) Install new CID 8.8" - 15 minutes
22+) Start re-installing parts you previously removed in steps (1) to (16) - 1 hour

So the total time to do the job isn't a lot once you have worked out what to do.

I'm not exactly sure what the USA and European cars have installed as standard like console menu button, I-Drive controller etc. and I've heard of some horror stories about guys on this forum upgrading and the costs blowing out.

I'll be testing my upgrade tomorrow, so until then, I won't know if there are any major issues, but so far there's only a couple issues and I'm really surprised that so much of the I-Drive functions are working as before, like radio, CD's/MP3's, bluetooth phones etc.

Cheerz
Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Members

Hi,

I believe the guy I bought the parts from actually bought a E60 from USA and shipped over to Europe for the parts so he may know how the USA cars are setup.

Cheerz
Old 02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Members

Hi, I'm interested retrofitting CID 8.8" boardmonitor.. How much did you pay for the display? I guess it's not too expensive? Is there any blank space in the display or is the image viewed in the whole display area?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tume' post='387778' date='Feb 6 2007, 05:20 AM
Hi, I'm interested retrofitting CID 8.8" boardmonitor.. How much did you pay for the display? I guess it's not too expensive? Is there any blank space in the display or is the image viewed in the whole display area?
If you want the bigger screen, you need all that he listed to get prof. nav. You can't just replace your smaller display with a bigger one. It won't work. The bigger display is for prof. nav, with CCC. If you have the smaller screen, you probably have no nav, or business nav, on M-ASK professional or business radio.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='387914' date='Feb 6 2007, 07:40 AM
If you want the bigger screen, you need all that he listed to get prof. nav.
In this case I'm not looking for prof. nav. I just want a bigger screen to watch videos from external player and use normal iDrive from the screen. Do I still need something else than the screen? Of course TvAndNav2Go unit for external video source.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Members

Hi,

Been testing the Nav Pro upgrade for a couple days and there only seems to be 2 issues.

1) The Voice button next to the I-Drive knob doesn't work
2) When I press the steering wheel Voice button, I get a woman speaking German

Navigation, Radio, CD's, Bluetooth etc. all seem to work flawlessly.

I still haven't had the Nav Pro Retrofit path software upgrade performed, maybe that would fix.

Unfortunately, I found out from BMW service, that the CIP update I had performed in mid December 2006 is now too old for them to perform the retrofit path update. It looks like I'll have to put back the CID 6.5" monitor and M-ASK to allow them to update to the latest CIP software, then for me to almost immediately change back to the CID 8.8" and CCC so they can perform Nav Pro Retrofit path upgrade while the software versions are the same. This means, they'll update CIP on say Monday afternoon, then I return E60 Tuesday morning for the Nav Pro Retrofit path update.

Anyway, the CIP update that was done in December 2006 removed my front EYEBROW lights, and I loved these.

You see, if I'm going to do it, I'd rather replace CID and CCC while I still have the dashboard trim and CCC dashboard facia off.

Cheerz

Quick Reply: Upgrading of my Business to Professional Navigation