DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

Originally Posted by Uzzle
Anyone know how much Sirius a year? I got it on my tv and most of the channels play really good songs.
i have sirius in the e60 and my tractor trailer i pay 28 a month for them. your better paying like 500 upfront for life, but alotta people dont go for that but in reality if you like sat which most people do you will save money. just as long as sirius dosent disspaear one day soon lol
Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Members

Same here, looking for the official BMW install instructions
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Try to search around (upper right corner) ... you find bunch of them like:

http://forums.5serie...le-install-diy/

or

http://forums.5serie...ttach_id=142253

GL!

Originally Posted by CMS062407
Same here, looking for the official BMW install instructions
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Members

So I've been on the hunt to add sat to my 2007 e60 (May 06 Prod, with SA693 Sat Prep). I recently found the receiver used for $100 on eBay and purchased the bracket. I've done the hardware install (including the fiber re-route) and am going to do the software updates once my cable comes in from China. I've got a couple of notes on the process that might be handy for anyone else looking to do this retrofit.

1. Confirm that you have the correct receiver for your car. There is a little leeway with model numbers, but the big thing to confirm is the number of antenna connectors. Early cars have one, later builds have a dual antenna connector. Open the drivers rear trunk panel (see pictures in first post) and look for the Sirius wires underneath the taillight. The antenna connector is a salmon/red color. It will either have a single or a dual connector. Get a receiver that matches. They come up on eBay fairly often (save a search for "BMW Sirius" and eBay will mail you when new items are posted). Average price for auction ones seems to be around $140.

2. If you have premium sound/logic7, the amp will be in the way of your install. I didn't remove mine and simply attached the receiver bracket with 2 screws instead of 3. I will go back and do it properly if I hear any vibration.

3. The fiber loop instructions in the pdf are not great in terms of how the bus connects. It will say "slide the tab to the left and push back" However, if you are looking at the MOST connector by lying down in the trunk, you'll need to reach around to the back of the connector, slide the tab right and pull towards you. Or you can just wiggle the connectors back and forth with a little force and they will come apart. (not recommended, but it worked for me)

4. The best way to think about the fiber cables and deal with them is to understand that the connectors on the right side of the block (heading toward front seat) need to all move one pin up. (i.e. pin 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3, etc.) For the left side, pin 1 doesn't move, but 2-4 move up one. Your sat pins go into the space that have just cleared (slot 1 on the right, 2 on the left). You may find that upon releasing the fiber connectors that the cables don't properly snap in. Don't worry too much about this. Once you snap the connector cover back on, it will hold the cables in. The MOST bus bit took the majority of my time to mess with. Just move one cable at a time and it is easy.

Great pictures in the beginning of this thread, should help folks immensely. Also worth noting the the trunk panel that goes to the back seat (not the one that goes to the taillight) does not need to be completely removed. You can simply remove the 2 connectors under the trunk arm and the one facing the back seats and fold the whole thing down. No need to unscrew the star screw at the trunk bottom.

My next step is to recode the car to "see" the SAT option in iDrive. I will follow up on that post. To follow along, please check out the bmwcoding dot com forum and the DIY section of e90post dot com. I plan also to turn off the iDrive disclaimer and remove the seat belt reminder chime (I'm a habitual seat belt wearer anyway) as part of my coding experiments.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

maver,
Believe it or not I still haven't done this upgrade. Its one of the few things remaining on my to-do list. You've posted some good info. Thanks. For more information on NSCExpert and coding your CCC/CIC etc check out these threads also:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/108...1#entry1285835
https://5series.net/forums/topic/109...1#entry1302486

bmwcoding.com is developing into a very good source for this information too.

If you have any pics of your Sirius install, I would love to see em'.

Cheers!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Members

hey guys i bought the wrong tuner for my car. i got the old tuner and my car is wired with the newer single antenna. so now i have a sirius tuner with the older style 2 antenna if anyone is looking for one.

the part # 65126948064

$200
Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Bazooka,
Can you post a pic with the antenna terminations?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Members

My mods continue. I got my cable and began coding. I was able to successfully:
Remove the iDrive disclaimer at startup
Disable the seat belt chime
Remove $693 Sat Prep
Add $655 Sat

However, Sirius is not showing up in iDrive. I gather that I need to make some module level updates to set SDARS to aktiv. If anyone knows the correct modules, that would make this easy. Otherwise, I'll go one by one.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Members

Got it! The Sirius activation in iDrive setting is in the CAPPL module on my '07 E60.

Confirming coding steps:
1. Add $655 Sat Radio
2. Confirm $693 Sat Radio Prep is deleted
3. Set SDARS to aktiv in the CAPPL module

Woot!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Confirming coding steps:
1. Add $655 Sat Radio
2. Confirm $693 Sat Radio Prep is deleted
3. Set SDARS to aktiv in the CAPPL module

Woot!
Good work maver,
I'll have to find the same line of code in my CIC once I do the upgrade. If I'm lucky it will still be referenced as SDARS.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)