DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgieb
E60Coyote,
With regards to your earlier question in March:

I am also just buying the satellite module, bracket, nuts and bolts and am a little perplexed about the optical connection. How did your install go and what is the solution for hooking up the optical connection to our Satt-Prep SA693 cars? Did you have to buy optical cabling, did you have to splice existing cabling or is the optical cable prep already done and just needs termination to the satellite module along with power cables etc?

Your feedback or any other knowledgeable member who has a response, is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Georgieb - there are no extra fiber optic cables needed nor do you need to splice anything if you have the SatPrep. Extending the fiberoptic loop to the new sat module was pretty easy. My Sat fiber cable was already in the connector just not in the loop. I just offset one of the cables from the loop down one spot on the connecter and installed the sat cable between the (now 2) open ends. It easy to check if you did it right by turning the key on and seeing the light come through the sat cable. Note that I did this BEFORE I went to the dealer and had no problems with the reprogramming.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

E60Coyote,
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you for the feedback. Once I'm done this mod, I'll post my results. How are you enjoying Satt radio? I read mixed reviews but I want to experience it for myself. Local radio gets very monotonous on the drive to and from the office.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Members

I have to admit, I was disappointed with the sound quality at first but now I don't really notice it so much. I love the extended content and the commercial free music. I also signed up for the internet radio option which is great for my wife and out by the pool. Overall, I'm happy with Sirius.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Sounds like it's mostly been positive. I have a feeling I'll be enjoying it too. Enough can't be said about commercial-free content...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Contributors

As it turns out, getting my Satt Radio module is proving a bit more challenging than I originally anticipated. Just about everywhere sells the module for approximately $480 - $520.00 with the exception of eBay (if you are able to find a posting for one). Well as I was dredging for a good price on the net using Google I found that BMW Parts Counter (www.bmwpartscounter.com) had listed the module for USD $170.00. Needless to say I promptly placed an order and followed up with them a few days later to find out how my delivery was coming along. I spoke with a sales rep. and he assured me that everything was on track for delivery June 14th.

Then the fit hit the shan! I received a follow-up call from them two days ago with what more or less can be summed up as an apology regarding a posted price which could not be honored. I was told that the model number I had ordered was now obsolete by BMW (Satellite Radio Module # 65129162994) and that there was no way they could honor the same price on a replacement unit. (I called one of my local dealers and ironically he can still purchase this part number from our local BMW parts distribution center). Hmmm.

In any event, my money has been refunded and I'm left looking for another good deal for the Satt module, mounting bracket and screws etc. Hopefully I'll land another deal in the coming weeks and can get to installing this upgrade.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Members

wow what a car.......yeah BMW is the best...i think u use Coach Outlet Store for purchasing handbag, watches and many more..
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-xino.php-1-.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Contributors

wow what a car.......yeah BMW is the best...i think u use Coach Outlet Store for purchasing handbag, watches and many more..
Huh?? I fail to see the relevance?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Members

The old 2 antennae wire version has been discontinued and replaced by the 1 antennae wire version with an adapter kit. I previously posted the instructions on how to covert to the newer 1 wire unit.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the update E60coyote. I'll check into it for sure. I still havn't booked a new order for the radio but I will in the next few weeks. I have quite a few other mods in progress right now too. Busy times, but it's been a world of fun.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i, sport, prem

Can't wait to try this out.... thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)