DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Well I finally got all the parts for my Sirius satellite & iPod modules. I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow and having the retrofit my CCC.
Also while I am there I am going to have them do my MP3 retrofit for the CD & DVD, since they have to do that I am hoping I will get a break on the Sirius and IPod retro fit.

Here is my install, please be nice this is my first write up.

[b]
The install of the Sirius Module:
FYI: I Have the Sirius Prep Package
[\b]

1.The SAT module is installed in the trunk on the driver?s side. You have to remove the covering to access where it mounts to the frame. To remove the covering I had to lift up the floor mat and remove to plastic fasteners pictured below.
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00298.jpg
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00299.jpg

2.Next I had to figure out where the bracket supplied went. (This took me a good 30mins to figure it out, but I finally got it.) The pictures below show where the bracket mounts. The kit I ordered from Garry came with clip nuts which you can also see in the pictures below.
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00282.jpgSirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00283.jpg

3.Here is a picture of the bracket. Also if you look to the left of the picture you can see where the SAT Prep Cables are.( The red, green and black cables)
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00284.jpg

4.Next I mounted the bracket to make sure it fit correctly. ( I believe the hex bolts supplied were 8mm)
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00285.jpgSirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00286.jpg

5.Next I mounted the bracket onto the Sirius Module.
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00287_1.jpg

6.There are four holes in the bracket which matched up with the points on the Sat module. I used The Hex bolts supplied to secure module to the bracket
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00290_1.jpgSirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00291.jpg

7.Here is another picture of the wires that connect to the Sirius module
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00292_1.jpg

8.Next I plugged in the SAT prep cables to the Sat Module. Here is a pic of where the cables plugged into the module
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00293.jpg

9.Next I installed the bracket and module.
Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-dsc00296.jpg

And that is all folks. I must say this was an easy install after I figured out where the bracket went. This took me about

Here are the Part Numbers:

65-12-948-064 - Sat radio Module
65-10-6-925-468 - Bracket
07-11-9-902-932 - Hex Bolts x7
61-13-1-372-033 - Clip nut x3
Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Members

Just dropped off my baby at the dealer ship and I was qouted $398 for the retrofit of the modules. I will see what teh final price is this afternoon.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Members

Hope all works out well. Alot of people wanted to do this a couple years ago.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Members

Paul, thanks for the pictures. I'm usually not a "do it yourselfer" but your pics and info make it sound like anybody could do it. Let us know how everything worked out at the dealership. I may give this a try myself but first I need to call around and check to see if my local BMW dealership will do the necessary programming after I do the installation. I've read of a few cases where they will not if they don't do the install.

Thanks again.

Mark
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Members

update:

Welll the dealership charged me around $470 to do the programming. I dropped the car off on a thursday and did not get it back to saturday. They kept saying they had problems programming the CIP.

I finally picked the car up saturday. They told me everything was done so I checked out everything.

The ipod connectivity worked. cool!
The MP3 CD's worked. Cooler!
Not Sat Radio. Not Cool!

I went through the I-Drive and didn't see the SAT Radio. I went back inside and told the the problem and they said they would look at it. After an hour they could not figure it out so it will be back at the dealership next week on the 24th. hopefully they will figure out the sat radio.

I don't think there are any reasons I can't have both Ipod & Sat Radio. The car did have the SAT Radio Prep.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

They still need to rewire the fiber optic to put the Sirius receiver in the MOST bus loop.
You could DIY with the install instructions. Just mark the optical wires as you go as they are all the
same color. Wiring is behind the drivers side rear seat upholstery attached to the wheel well.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

so was it 470 for the programming of everything, how much for just the sat radio? And can it be install without losing the ipod? thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Members

Paul thanks for the great post and let us know how the final programming works out. I have begun to solicit dealers to quote the install of both iPod and Sirius options at the same time. Some say they will give me a labor "break" for both, so we will see. The best # I have gotten so far is $950 for all parts and labor, including the expensive radio module.

Steve
Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by srbbass' post='564149' date='Apr 19 2008, 08:21 AM
Paul thanks for the great post and let us know how the final programming works out. I have begun to solicit dealers to quote the install of both iPod and Sirius options at the same time. Some say they will give me a labor "break" for both, so we will see. The best # I have gotten so far is $950 for all parts and labor, including the expensive radio module.

Steve

Well Folks with all the fuss about my delaer ship putting in the IPOD and Sirius satelitte cost if you can get it done for $950 that will be a deal.

In all it cost me aroun $1155 to have everything installed.

i paid $255 for my ipod kit, $423 for my sirius radio unit and $477 in labor/ reprogramming.

if you asked me if I would do it again, I would say yes,. I liked tinkering around and I learned some things at the same time. but if you don't want the hassle and can get everything done for under $1000 fo it.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by paul1994' post='568204' date='Apr 25 2008, 02:52 PM
Well Folks with all the fuss about my delaer ship putting in the IPOD and Sirius satelitte cost if you can get it done for $950 that will be a deal.

In all it cost me aroun $1155 to have everything installed.

i paid $255 for my ipod kit, $423 for my sirius radio unit and $477 in labor/ reprogramming.

if you asked me if I would do it again, I would say yes,. I liked tinkering around and I learned some things at the same time. but if you don't want the hassle and can get everything done for under $1000 fo it.
So what's the deal with the programming. I followed all of the install steps as you described, but the SAT option does not show when I got to entertainment on the iDrive. Is there another step (other than going to the dealer) that I need to follow?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)