DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear window anti-trap reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG i had that problem for so long in my driver rear window , and the 17 sec did the trick for me thanks a lot guys
Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Members

same issue on 2004 e60 530d se uk spec... anti trap error its FIXED read this... what i did worked perfect as instructed above explained long winded.....

got in the car - started the engine error comes up

went in to the error msg on idrive - left it on the screen and left car ticking over

got out the car shut drives door and got in the back seat and shut the door! odd look from neighbour lol

rolled down the window and it stopped every few inches so i kept tapping the button untill it went all the way down braced my self

get stop watch out hit start and straight away push the button down keep it held down for 17 seconds as soon as you see 17 seconds pull up on the switch and dont let go of it keep it pulled up the windows goes all the way up to the top then goes back down to the bottom then back up to the top no let off pulling the switch up

now the triange with the ! in it has gone from the instrument clocks... the msg was still on the idrive come out of it and back in and its gone there also.

i had a play and all was working fine. i turned car off tried it out still all ok turned it back on all still working no errors still all ok.

rolled all the windows down and opened sun roof got out car and all total closured worked fine

all is fixed

woooohooo!! had the error weeks and it was starting to really bug me!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I just got this problem the past week on the left rear window of my 2007 LCI E61. Window would only roll up or down when switch was continuously held; and then it would stop every 10 cm or so and to boot, I got the "power window anti-trap function!" warning every time I started the car. I tried some of the descriptions here, among other with the engine on or just with the keyfob in the slot which gives power to the hifi and windows only - none of that worked.

Eventually the key had to be in and the start button depressed (without foot on the brake) so that full ignition came on, but without the engine starting. Then I did the following:

1) Pushed down the broken window button to roll down the window all the way - which requires that the button is pressed, released and pressed a few times as it stops every 10 cm
2) Released the button when window was down all the way - then immediately pushed the button down all the way again and held it for 17 seconds
4) Released the button, then immediately pulled it up all the way to roll the window up - you will know you've succeded, as the window now goes up all the way by itself without stopping. When it hits the top, it will roll down all the way again and then all the way up once more
5) Released the switch when that whole up and down and up show was completed - problem solved, error message disappeared and window now moves all the way again without stopping
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Members

A big thanks to this thread (& Doug) , I got same problem few days ago on my 550i and today took in to dealer (Rusnak BMW Westlake Village), the service guy (Scott) demanded $140 for diagnosis only and was suggesting that it's probably a software reset issue, and if it determined so, will probably have additional expenses --- and not covered under my CPO warranty ... I refused to get lured into that. Seemed fishy to me to start with.

Followed the recommended steps here and Sure it worked like a charm .. highly appreciate it !!!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Members

Well done Doug. It feels great getting those niggly faults fixed for free
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
If you followed the instructions on reinitializing the windows and it still is giving you trouble, then I'd say you should have the dealer check it out.

Hi all,

my names Kiani, i'm new to this forum and have been following this tread, can i just ask whether this would help me with my anti trap warning on my 2006 535d BMW i had it serviced the other day and i'm not sure whether they diconnected the battery, but since my rear driver side window does not go up or down at all the button is non responsive.

Any help would be appreciated...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Kiani
Hi all,

my names Kiani, i'm new to this forum and have been following this tread, can i just ask whether this would help me with my anti trap warning on my 2006 535d BMW i had it serviced the other day and i'm not sure whether they diconnected the battery, but since my rear driver side window does not go up or down at all the button is non responsive.

Any help would be appreciated...
Are you getting any anti-trap warnings? If so, then this thread may help. If not, and if the window doesn't move at all when either switch (driver's door or rear driver side door) is pressed, I think you have a different problem...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Success!

Thanks board!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Members

Thank you so much!!! I have been fighting with this and my dealer for over a month.

It worked like a Charm 17 seconds is the trick. It took me a few times but I got it to work.

Took 2004 545i to the local dealer 2 weeks so and told them on my 'Anti-trap Malfunction'.
1st visit
They said my left rear door window lost sinc and it needed to be reiinitialized. So I paid $25 and it worked for about 2 hours.

2nd visit
QUOTE on report from mechanic:
Tried to re-initialize the lifint motor. Will not take. Ran test plan and found the driv motor is failing $424.25. Part will have to be ordered.

Estimate $424.25, I declined to service.

I have it fixed now, for free, thank you 5seriesforum

HA
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Members

Tim,
You are awesome! Your instructions saved me an estimated $400 to $600. I owe you. Check is in the mail!!!

Quick Reply: Rear window anti-trap reset