5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   Rear window anti-trap reset (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/rear-window-anti-trap-reset-25812/)

das 05-16-2006 05:43 PM

Hello.

I have a rear-window anti-trap malfunction on the left rear window. All of the forum posts here (that I've been able to find, anyway) refer to a procedure that approximates the following:

With the ignition in the "On" position, roll down the affected window all the way (continue to depress if the window stops), then hold for 5-10 seconds. Then, roll the affected window all the way back up, then hold for 5-10 seconds.

I've tried variations of this procedure with the vehicle running, the ignition "On" with the engine switched off, or the ignition in the accessory mode. My dealer claims that the above procedure is for the front windows, but not the rear, and that the "procedure for the rear windows is confusing even to them", and thus they asked I schedule a service appointment.

Of course, being the stubborn bastard I am, I don't care to schedule a service appointment, even if it is free. Does anyone know what the rear window anti-trap reset procedure is, or what I might have done wrong?

Thanks!

Rudy 05-16-2006 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
das, there is a small difference in procedure between the front and the rears. The rears need to be "taught" both the upper and lower stops where the fronts only need to learn the upper stop.

If you haven't already done so, take a look (or download a copy) of the .pdf I posted in the technical gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=3076

Take a look at the bookmark called "Indirect anti-trapping mechanism" under the "System functions" section. It explains what the car is doing as the window is moving up or down. If you keep having a problem, you might have a faulty window motor or a faulty "hall sensor" (whatever the hell that is...)

Also, for good measure, here's the instructions on reinitializing the windows:
Attachment 19014

Good luck!

miss525i 05-16-2006 07:04 PM

Hi das, I don't know if I will make you feel any better...but I had the same problem with the rear window a couple of weeks ago.

It happened shortly after my passenger seat belt restraint warning came on. The manual didn't help me with solving either one of the problems.

I kept messing with the window for about a week until one day the message disappeared and the window was good as new. Strange...but it did go away by itself!!!

I am still waiting for the passenger seat belt restraint warning to go away...comes up every time I turn on the engine. At this point I am convinced a part needs to be replaced.

Good luck!

skaffa 05-17-2006 06:33 AM

We (AKA Hobi) installed trunk release button and I got that same alarm for both rear side windows (battery was disconnected). Nor Hobi or my tech could "teach" windows with buttons. With "big tester" they were able to done it eventually. When I go to get my car I have ask if this will be the case next time when I disconnect battery? :blink: It would be stupid if I have to visit every time in workshop after "power failure"! :thumbsdown:

Skaffa

anees420 06-29-2006 10:23 AM

Rudy the instructions worked a like a charm....

One word of advice... maybe a few words ;)

"Hold down the 'open window botton' until you see a picture of a window on the Dash (thats how you know its been pressed down long enough)... you also hear a beep...then press the botton up until the picture of the window disappears.... your done.... all this needs to be done while the key is on the ON position... but the engine is NOT RUNNING"

best of luck everyone,
Anees

Rudy 06-29-2006 05:58 PM

anees420, what year car do you have? This is the first I've heard of any dashboard light that illuminates in conjunction with the window re-initialization. I wonder if the light is present on older cars and the software now supports this or if this is something they added to the newer model year cars?

my530i 06-30-2006 09:32 AM

I have this warning most of the time when neg battery cable removed. Everytime this happens, I use auto function to see which window gets effected. Once I found the effected one, I roll it up all the way, release the switch momentarily, try to hold the switch for rolling up again although it go nowhere. After this step, the warning goes away. It works EVERY SINGLE TIME. :)

anees420 07-19-2006 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='305296' date='Jun 29 2006, 08:58 PM
anees420, what year car do you have? This is the first I've heard of any dashboard light that illuminates in conjunction with the window re-initialization. I wonder if the light is present on older cars and the software now supports this or if this is something they added to the newer model year cars?

Rudy,
I have 2004 525i sport... nothing really special... i just noticed the picture on the dash when i was re-initializing the window... and made a little beeep

i hope this helps Rudy,

Anees

Rudy 07-19-2006 04:23 PM

I'll have to look to see it I have a light like that. Are you in the US or somewhere else?

anees420 07-20-2006 01:46 PM

Rudy,

I have US model... i live in southern california... i was actually bought from BMW of San Diego