DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear window anti-trap reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

got it sorted in one go! Thankyouthankyouthankyou

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:29 AM
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This solution works great. I do have to emphasize the 17 second rule. I thought I could just count it in my head, but I ended up needing a timer to get it right.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

The precision required is as precise as a NASA Shuttle Launch.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i black/black

I tried the first few ways to fix this.....none worked......i got to the one where yo hold the button down for 17 seconds and then pull up......WORKED LIKE A CHARM......ALL FIXED.......THANK YOU!!!!!!THAT REALLY WAS THE BEST INFO........
Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525D 2005

Today I tried to open my right rear window (I hardly do that as I have a small kid sitting in the back and the airco just works fine for me ) . It didn't open at all and I got the "anti-trap" warning message. Does someone here know if the mentioned method also works when your window doesn't come down at all?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i

Originally Posted by Brains' post='933271' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:33 PM
Today I tried to open my right rear window (I hardly do that as I have a small kid sitting in the back and the airco just works fine for me ) . It didn't open at all and I got the "anti-trap" warning message. Does someone here know if the mentioned method also works when your window doesn't come down at all?
I'm pretty sure it works in both directions...go ahead and try the reset procedure. It won't do any harm but it just might take care of things for you...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525D 2005

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='933591' date='Jul 6 2009, 06:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it works in both directions...go ahead and try the reset procedure. It won't do any harm but it just might take care of things for you...
Thanks Rudy, I tried it and now it works fine again. Just like other people here I almost scheduled a trip to my dealer.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Cool

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 08:29 PM
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
Doug is the man! This forum is the best!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Members

I'm the last one with same problem to the rear left window and fixed with the Doug's 17 seconds post. It was a big relief.
However I have a question. Did someone try to check if the antitrap function is actually working now? To be honest I was ready to test it but on the other hand I though "am I looking for troubles again?"
Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i

Originally Posted by dank530gr' post='995941' date='Sep 2 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm the last one with same problem to the rear left window and fixed with the Doug's 17 seconds post. It was a big relief.
However I have a question. Did someone try to check if the antitrap function is actually working now? To be honest I was ready to test it but on the other hand I though "am I looking for troubles again?"
You can test it yourself, just use something other than your arm/hand to see what happens...

Quick Reply: Rear window anti-trap reset