DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear window anti-trap reset

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Wow...works like a charm on the ole '04 545! 17 seconds is the trick. Weird...but I'm not complaining! Thanks!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Rhudy that is how mine works I get a beep and the triangle in the center consol lets me know that all is well
Old 10-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' post='283406' date='May 16 2006, 08:43 PM
Hello.

I have a rear-window anti-trap malfunction on the left rear window. All of the forum posts here (that I've been able to find, anyway) refer to a procedure that approximates the following:

With the ignition in the "On" position, roll down the affected window all the way (continue to depress if the window stops), then hold for 5-10 seconds. Then, roll the affected window all the way back up, then hold for 5-10 seconds.

I've tried variations of this procedure with the vehicle running, the ignition "On" with the engine switched off, or the ignition in the accessory mode. My dealer claims that the above procedure is for the front windows, but not the rear, and that the "procedure for the rear windows is confusing even to them", and thus they asked I schedule a service appointment.

Of course, being the stubborn bastard I am, I don't care to schedule a service appointment, even if it is free. Does anyone know what the rear window anti-trap reset procedure is, or what I might have done wrong?

Thanks!
thanks for the tip. just used it on my 530i, and it worked.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:29 PM
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Doug! Yea I've got a 2008 535 in the US, and none of the steps worked, including the PDF files.
I tried about 20-30 combos and nothing. I think having the car ON is key, at least for my car it was.

I turned the car on.
Went to the rear driver side.
rolled down window and let switch go.
I then held down the button all the way (switch2) I counted to 20 to see it would work rather than the 17 seconds.
switched to up (switch2) imidiatley and held it. I think it started moving up after a few seconds and I held it until it went up, down, and all the way up again.
Tested one touch, keyless entry window thingy, it all worked fine.

Thanks man, I almost scheduled a trip to bmw. You saved me trip!
Thanks
ALex
Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Tim' post='581291' date='May 15 2008, 09:18 AM
Finally got my window to reset! This is the process that I followed. The BMW instructions didn't work.

1. Start the car. Key in position "on" did not work for me.
2. At the window that is having the problem, lower the window all the way down (open) and then release the switch.
Don't do step 2 from the driver's seat. Do it at the window that is having problems.
You will know which window has problems because the "one-touch" function doesn't work.
3. After the window is fully down, push the switch all the way down (to position 2 or one-touch open position) and hold for 20 seconds.
4. Then immediately pull the switch up to position 2 (one-touch close position) and hold. Do not let go (even if the window stops after a few inches of going up)
5. Wait until the anti-trap message on the display disappears.

The symptoms I had were:
a. One-touch open/close did not work on the problem window.
b. The window only opened/closed 4 inches at a time even if you held the button down/up.
c. Anti-trap message appears on the console every time I started the car.

Thanks to Rudy for the initial instruction set!

Tim
Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Members

Thanks so much for this. I tried it first and didn't work but then (I felt pretty stupid doing it) I got out my watch and timed it for exactly 17 secs. The window went up, then down again then up. ( all while I had it in the up position) and it worked. The trick is definately the 17secs, as crazy as that sounds. I bet BMW doesn't know this

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 11:29 PM
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Thanks for this Thread! Worked like a charm. Gotta love this site!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Thanks for this! Just got my rear window fixed! the fault came out after I reconnect the battery...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by das' post='283406' date='May 17 2006, 01:43 AM
Hello.

I have a rear-window anti-trap malfunction on the left rear window. All of the forum posts here (that I've been able to find, anyway) refer to a procedure that approximates the following:

With the ignition in the "On" position, roll down the affected window all the way (continue to depress if the window stops), then hold for 5-10 seconds. Then, roll the affected window all the way back up, then hold for 5-10 seconds.

I've tried variations of this procedure with the vehicle running, the ignition "On" with the engine switched off, or the ignition in the accessory mode. My dealer claims that the above procedure is for the front windows, but not the rear, and that the "procedure for the rear windows is confusing even to them", and thus they asked I schedule a service appointment.

Of course, being the stubborn bastard I am, I don't care to schedule a service appointment, even if it is free. Does anyone know what the rear window anti-trap reset procedure is, or what I might have done wrong?

Thanks!
This worked thanks.. thought i would have to spend ?150 a hour for them to do the same thing!!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

I don't think that I've ever rolled down the right-passenger side window. Well yesterday, I rolled them all down (via the key FO to vent the extreme heat before entering. Started up the car and got the anti-trap error... At first I thought that I didn't roll alll of the windows up properly or that the roof window was still open... The error was still there after I made grocery store stop and got very puzzled... So, I searched this morning and came across this post and just went out to the car and it fixed it, perfectly.

Thanks to all who worked this out!!!

Quick Reply: Rear window anti-trap reset