DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

rear foglight activation

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by jay8s
That is an LCI switch. PreLCI needs the whole trim piece.
The switches are different depending on options: Xenon, HUD, NightVision, Rain Sensor. Make sure you're getting the right switch. Check RealOEM under Euro vehicles.

I plan on attending the St Louis winter Cars & Coffee.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Originally Posted by vkhong
The switches are different depending on options: Xenon, HUD, NightVision, Rain Sensor. Make sure you're getting the right switch. Check RealOEM under Euro vehicles.

Yes but you cannot take the switch out and replace it with that, because there are no holes for the new rear fog light button.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by jay8s
Yes but you cannot take the switch out and replace it with that, because there are no holes for the new rear fog light button.
Agree. The switch and switch trim is best ordered together.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong

Yes but you cannot take the switch out and replace it with that, because there are no holes for the new rear fog light button. see this pic no hole.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Members

Wow that is tight in there. I went to check it out tonight, and am a connector away from rear fogs. Hope to have it done tomorrow night. I think that I will be unwrapping the wire bunch to try to get some more room in there.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Members

Apparently the E6x and E70 use the same headlight switch with different trim pieces. Here's my switch which came with the appropriate trim piece from a German E60.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3535_thumb.jpg

Here's a full view of the rear as requested.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3622_thumb.jpg
Attached Thumbnails rear foglight activation-euro-headlight-switch.jpg   rear foglight activation-full-rear-shot.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by jkhatri
Apparently the E6x and E70 use the same headlight switch with different trim pieces. Here's my switch which came with the appropriate trim piece from a German E60.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3535_thumb.jpg

Here's a full view of the rear as requested.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3622_thumb.jpg
Will the headlight switch fit 2004/2005 E60 ? The one sold in EuroActive was only for 2008 - 2010 E60.

Thanks,
Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lcc014
Will the headlight switch fit 2004/2005 E60 ? The one sold in EuroActive was only for 2008 - 2010 E60.

Thanks,

The switch is the same, but you will need the trim that surrounds it.

Just got mine wired up. I just stuck a wire into the blue connector, I did not use the BMW connector. I left enough wire to add my own switch later, but currently have it wire inline with the front fogs. Pics on my sedan later today.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Well done OP! ... there's nothin' beat the OEM retrofit like the OP did.

Can you also post up the pic of the replacement Euro headlight switch too ... tkx!

Alternatively ... due to the Euro headlight switch availability and/or cost you can do:

1) Hard wired pin #33 (rear fog) w/ pin #34 (front fog) together on the LCM plug so when you turn on the fog both front & rear lit up together. I've been using it this way for a long time as I only turn my fogs on during inclement weather.

2) Add you own switch to the alternative #1 above so you have more control for the rear fog in case you like to use the front fog independently.

... of course if you feel adventurous ... GL!
i would advise against this - while lots of people drive with their front fogs on and it's no big deal at all, rear fog lights are very distracting and annoying when they are not ESSENTIAL due to road conditions or used as a signal. i live in germany and find it really annoying when people drive with rear fogs on just because of rain or something - they are as bright as brake lights, and they're not something that a rear view mirror can get rid of and feels like someone is driving with their brights on at you all the time

stick with just wiring a separate button for the rear fogs... it's just plain annoying if you drive with them on all the time.

EDIT: just to clarify, i'm advising against having one button that turns on both front and rear fogs. actually enabling your rear fogs with its own dedicated button is a great mod!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Members

Aside from the obvious dense fog scenario, which its quite rare where I live, are there other appropriate situations to use rear fogs? I had intended to use them during heavy rain and snow storms where visibility is limited.

Quick Reply: rear foglight activation