DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

rear foglight activation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobr2001
so is this DIY for LCI only? when I checked my pre-LCI E60 the LCM is white not blue like in the photos. any ideas to do a pre LCI?

Looks like it is the same procedure for your car. The wiring diagram is available at this link. Connect position 9 on headlight switch to position 33 on LCM.
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...9470.svg?m=e60

My LCM was black. The blue item in my earlier post is the actual wiring harness which in my case consisted of a blue and brown section that splits apart. You can see the brown section in the upper right corner of my photo. Just identify #33 and drop your wire into the slot.

Good luck.
Just wondering why you need to do this if you are in Germany. Shouldn't your car already have a rear fog?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

Originally Posted by jkhatri
Just wondering why you need to do this if you are in Germany. Shouldn't your car already have a rear fog?
I purchased a US Spec here in Germany. Great car but now I need to convert a few things to meet German spec requirements and the rear fog must work.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

Looks like it is the same procedure for your car. The wiring diagram is available at this link. Connect position 9 on headlight switch to position 33 on LCM.
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...9470.svg?m=e60
Many thanks jkhatri, the wiring diagram was the final piece in the puzzle. my rear fogs are working. you were a very big help. now I can get my car through the German vehicle inspection.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM
New Members

Got the rear fogs activated. No coding required. All you have to do is run a wire from position 9 on the headlight switch wiring harness to position 33 on the LCM. [url="http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg/sp/SP0000025822.svg?m=e60"]

Need Euro headlight switch (Has a button for the rear fog light), some wire, and 2 pin connectors. BMW part # 61130006663. [url="http://realoem.com/bmw/showphoto.do?id=61130006663"]

Step 1: I soldered the pin connectors to some 18g wire I had laying around the house. Total length about 36 inches. Attachment 128614

Step 2: Remove the pedal trim panel in the driver's foot well. The trim panel has a light and speaker that need to be disconnected to free up the panel. [url="http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/63/52"]
There are 5 screws holding this panel in place. 4 screws are obvious; the 5th one is hidden behind a carpeted trim piece along the driver's side of the center console. Wedge a flat screwdriver between the plastic and carpeted trim piece and rotate the screwdriver to push the carpeted strip backwards to expose the screw. Attachment 128616

Step 3: Remove the original headlight switch by gently prying out and disconnect the wiring harness. This harness has to be disassembled by inserting a small flat screwdriver into this slot to expose the pin connectors. Attachment 128615

Step 4: Identify position 9 on the headlight switch wiring harness and insert one end of your spliced wire connector. It is a perfect fit. Attachment 128617

Step 5: Carefully route the other end of your spliced wire connector through dashboard to the LCM in the footwell.

Step 6: Remove the LCM. [url="http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/63/66"]

Step 7: Disassemble the LCM wiring harness. There is a blue and brown subassembly. Identify position 33 on the blue subassembly and insert the other end of your spliced wire connector. Attachment 128618 The connector I bought is not quite right; it has a little flange that you will have to fold over with a pair of pliers. It locks in securely despite this modification. Finally reassemble the LCM wiring harness and reinstall the LCM.

Step 8: Secure the wire to avoid rattles and reassemble the trim panel and install the Euro headlight switch after reassembling the wiring harness.

Step 9: Enjoy your results!!!
Attachment 128620
Attachment 128619
Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 PM
New Members

these instructions were true perfection... my rear fogs work like a charm and look great without any programming...

thank you JKHATRI
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Great write up.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Found something interesting last night. I wired my rear fogs to my front for now, till I get a switch. While out I the country I hit the high beams, and while on I filed the fogs on. Only the rear fog light on the dash went on, as expected, no front fogs with highs. When I killed the highs, the rear fogs stayed on, and the fronts did not come on. I hit the fog button, and the fronts and rears switched, now no rears, and fronts on. Went to the parking lights, and the same was true, the fronts and rears just switched on and off independently, fronts on are off, rears on and visaversa. Apparently the lcm will give some control over what is on when you are in the highs. Not sure if there is a good explanation, or good use for this knowledge, but it is something.

Jay8s
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 AM
JJw
Members

My Ride: 08 AW M5 94 AW 540i

can anyone clearfy for me, if the signal for the fog is positive or negative, thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 AM
New Members

This thread is great. Can anybody tell me where to get the wires with the pin connectors already attached? Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Pretty sure you have to make them in the US.

Quick Reply: rear foglight activation