DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

rear foglight activation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Interesting, I have the euro switch and the dimmer works and I have no issues. Could you have bent a pin plugging it in?
Old 08-29-2019, 09:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535XiT 6MT
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by funglenn
Interesting, I have the euro switch and the dimmer works and I have no issues. Could you have bent a pin plugging it in?
Thanks for replying and confirming. I dug into the switch because it didn't make sense that BMW would use a different feeling rheostat in Euro cars than it does in the US ones. What I found was that the dimmer wheel you adjust has a gear on it with a fixed amount of rotation. That gear engages another gear on the rheostat (attached to the circuit board) which has a larger degree of fixed rotation. The switch had obviously been a part before because the two gears, which don't go all the way around, were not engaged. The rheostat on the board was turned all the way in one direction so that the teeth of the gear were facing the board and not the switch. I adjusted it to its midway position as well as the switch, put it back together and the dimmer now works perfectly.

And in better news, this also solved the battery drain warning! Even with the car off, the instrument dimmer rheostat adjusted past it's intended stop point appears to be enough of a draw to cause the warning. Never would have guess that, but alas, all is well!
Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by rkundrat
Thanks for replying and confirming. I dug into the switch because it didn't make sense that BMW would use a different feeling rheostat in Euro cars than it does in the US ones. What I found was that the dimmer wheel you adjust has a gear on it with a fixed amount of rotation. That gear engages another gear on the rheostat (attached to the circuit board) which has a larger degree of fixed rotation. The switch had obviously been a part before because the two gears, which don't go all the way around, were not engaged. The rheostat on the board was turned all the way in one direction so that the teeth of the gear were facing the board and not the switch. I adjusted it to its midway position as well as the switch, put it back together and the dimmer now works perfectly.

And in better news, this also solved the battery drain warning! Even with the car off, the instrument dimmer rheostat adjusted past it's intended stop point appears to be enough of a draw to cause the warning. Never would have guess that, but alas, all is well!
that is crazy but glad it worked out. i have had similar moments....
Old 03-20-2022, 12:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I Sport

Originally Posted by bobr2001
i have v5 of bruce's cable for my euro lci rear lights. will this diy work with that set up?
Hi were you able to get any help on this I'm having an issue where I don't get any rear fog light out the back but it does pop up on my cluster

I have a pre lci e60 with lci tail lights and the Bruce cables

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Ruben Reis