DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

rear foglight activation

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I know ... if you read toward the end of my post on point #1 ... I do NOT drive w/ my fog (front or rear) on around unless the weather is bad ...

I also stated that what the OP did is the way to go using the OEM way w/ proper dual-button, but since the button is not available here in the US there's an alternate (rather than driving around w/ your emergency flasher on to make your vehicle visible to the others) but yes I agree w/ you about the use as my method is not for a careless use.

Finally, in my post I suggested point #2, still an alternate to the real OEM solution w/ factory dual-button to use make-your-own switch.

Originally Posted by usmabmass
i would advise against this - while lots of people drive with their front fogs on and it's no big deal at all, rear fog lights are very distracting and annoying when they are not ESSENTIAL due to road conditions or used as a signal. i live in germany and find it really annoying when people drive with rear fogs on just because of rain or something - they are as bright as brake lights, and they're not something that a rear view mirror can get rid of and feels like someone is driving with their brights on at you all the time

stick with just wiring a separate button for the rear fogs... it's just plain annoying if you drive with them on all the time.

EDIT: just to clarify, i'm advising against having one button that turns on both front and rear fogs. actually enabling your rear fogs with its own dedicated button is a great mod!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

I agree that it is annoying when they are used improperly. I will be adding the second switch in lue of the factory switch until I can find one that will make it look factory. I did this Saturday and have not had them on but once to look at them in a window to see just how bright they really are.

As to conditions, I agree with your usage OP. We have had some spring frog stranglers that have required flashers at 10 mph just to be seen.

Forgot to post pics... coming up..
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
I know ... if you read toward the end of my post on point #1 ... I do NOT drive w/ my fog (front or rear) on around unless the weather is bad ...

I also stated that what the OP did is the way to go using the OEM way w/ proper dual-button, but since the button is not available here in the US there's an alternate (rather than driving around w/ your emergency flasher on to make your vehicle visible to the others) but yes I agree w/ you about the use as my method is not for a careless use.

Finally, in my post I suggested point #2, still an alternate to the real OEM solution w/ factory dual-button to use make-your-own switch.
i didn't mean to insinuate that i thought YOU were wrong - i just wanted to point it out for people who DO always drive with their fogs on and wouldn't care to consider that the rears would be on as well. which is like 80% of people that have fogs on their car
Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by jkhatri
Aside from the obvious dense fog scenario, which its quite rare where I live, are there other appropriate situations to use rear fogs? I had intended to use them during heavy rain and snow storms where visibility is limited.
aside from that, they are good for signalling, i think. since the brake light doesn't come on it appears more like an actual signal instead of just applying the brakes.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Aside from the obvious dense fog scenario, which its quite rare where I live, are there other appropriate situations to use rear fogs? I had intended to use them during heavy rain and snow storms where visibility is limited.
I used my Volvo's rear fog light in heavy rain and snow storms days. Other than those, not use it at all.

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

i have v5 of bruce's cable for my euro lci rear lights. will this diy work with that set up?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

It depends on if Bruce's cables have the wire in them for the rears to work. I would think that they would have them, given what I know about them, but I am not 100% sure.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Downloaded BMW standard tools which updated my EDIABAS. Got updated Daten files E60_v40. Can write to all the modules now and successfully coded most of the commonly mentioned mods.
Can't activate the rear fogs despite having the euro headlight switch. Apparently not a coding issue as nothing I changed in the LMA module would work. The E6x must be just like the E70; they both use the identical headlight switch and require position 9 from the headlight switch harness to be wired to position 33 of the LCM in the case of the E6x. Does anyone know how to access the LCM in an E6x and if so what type of wire connectors this mod would require?
Why do you want to activate the rear fogs? If you do you might be tempted to turn them on when just driving around and if I come up behind you I would be bright lighting you! lol In Germany they will pull you over and give you a ticket if they are on when they are not allowed to be... They are bright and annoying when you are behind people who have them on just because they want to.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low visibility driving conditions are not unique to Europe. I feel more secure with my rear fogs on during typical Cleveland blizzards. BMW USA disables rear fogs assuming that most American drivers will use them irresponsibly. Yet other importers such as Volvo, Porsche, Audi and Jag/LR give Americans the benefit of the doubt. That being said, seeing an Audi with its rear fogs blazing on a clear night is not rare. I suspect that most drivers aren't even aware of this feature. Another unlikely culprit is the Oldsmobile Aurora, probably the only domestic car with standard rear fogs. I wonder how these decisions are made, particularly by penny pinching GM product planners?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

so is this DIY for LCI only? when I checked my pre-LCI E60 the LCM is white not blue like in the photos. any ideas to do a pre LCI?

Quick Reply: rear foglight activation