DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sorry guys, I'm a little late to the party here -- I've haven't been too interested in iPod integration until recently when a friend of mine started asking me about it.

I just read through this thread and realized there may be a need for E60 glovebox removal instructions so here it is...

replacing_right_glovebox.pdf
Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

some people were able to do the install without opening the glove box. but thanks a lot Rudy for the instructions.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic, black leather, w/ sports pkg, cold weather pkg, Logic7, steptronic, navigation, satellite radio, electric rear shade, folding rear seat, Razr/Cingular phone

I can vouch for being able to do an install without removing the glove box. In fact, it took me about 30 minutes, start to finish, and I am far from mechanically inclined.

That being said, my interface is not working yet - my guess is my CIP has not been updated but I have to wait until my service advisor returns from vacation to confirm my guess. I get the BMW logo on the ipod, but the CD changer icons (CD1, CD2, etc.) in iDrive remain "grey" (i.e., unselectable). I had the CD changer before so I had hoped this would go smoothly - especially since the actual install was so much easier than I thought!

I think the link has been posted already but the best DIY instructions - with photos - are at this link - but again, you can ignore the glove box removal at the beginning:

DIY IPod MOST Adapter Install
Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Members

I did this install last night. One thing not mentioned in detail in these threads is the install process
if you do not have a CD player. The question need to be ask " If you don't have a CD player installed
DOES THE CAR NEED TO BE CODED. This question needs to be answered. For me the install process
was not difficult (no glove box removel) but as of now all i get is the "You can disconnect the iPod with the BMW logo on the iPod but it's Greyed out on the Navi Screen. So I'm off to the dealer for a little pow wow

Originally Posted by Cabrio330' post='336554' date='Sep 20 2006, 03:15 AM
I can vouch for being able to do an install without removing the glove box. In fact, it took me about 30 minutes, start to finish, and I am far from mechanically inclined.

That being said, my interface is not working yet - my guess is my CIP has not been updated but I have to wait until my service advisor returns from vacation to confirm my guess. I get the BMW logo on the ipod, but the CD changer icons (CD1, CD2, etc.) in iDrive remain "grey" (i.e., unselectable). I had the CD changer before so I had hoped this would go smoothly - especially since the actual install was so much easier than I thought!

I think the link has been posted already but the best DIY instructions - with photos - are at this link - but again, you can ignore the glove box removal at the beginning:

DIY IPod MOST Adapter Install
Old 10-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Members

My Ride: in 2005... a completly crashed Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. ... 24th Jan. 2006... a new 530xd Touring

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='331205' date='Sep 5 2006, 10:52 PM
Here is the way they do the display:

Its not terrific, but it works. They trick the stereo system into thinking the ipod is the CD changer. Instead of disks 1 through 6, disk 1 is playlists, disk 2 is sorted by artist, disk 3 is song, disk 4 is genre etc. You can just put in the ipod and select random and it will give you random songs from your entire ipod selection.

The best method, if you have time, is to premake your playlists. They are then easy to select and play.
Until full ipod integration is designed into the stereo/nav unit, this is a reasonable workaround.

So you might see this: (sorry I cannot help more, these are not taken by me - but from JSpira over on e90post) If I had one I would take and post pic of each type of display.
I don't know if it has been already told, but...

... I thought I would be able to navigate into the "folders" and "sub-folders" as I can already do with the main CD player unit (with MP3 disks).
Let's dream... once you've selected "CD2" (sorted by artist) and selected the artist (i.e. "U2") you will have all the songs together in the same basket and there is no way to select a specific album (i.e "War"). In this case, as "War" is +/- at the end of the playlist...
Not really well done!
Nevertheless, even if I paid more than a 80Gb I-Pod for the installation only, the result is really good in terms of sound quality...!

So, the system is worth it for the quality (10/10), but not for the comfort of use (5/10)!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

Just wanted to add that I installed my ipod adaptor on my 2006 550 last night, and it was completely plug and play. It was a very easy install, did not need to remove the glove box. You can get at everything just reaching through. One thing that made it easier was removing the platic cover for the fuses in the back of the glovebox. That gives you a little more working room. Simply turn the two plastic "screws" 90 degree, and it comes right out. The hardest part of the install was using the tie-locks to hold it in!

I have not played with it much, but the sound quality is great, and it seems like a slick little package.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll get mine this afternoon. Cannot wait to install
Old 11-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='329620' date='Sep 1 2006, 09:51 AM
Once the glovebox door is removed, you must remove the glovebox.

There are about 4 screws along the top edge which are clearly visible. There are 2 screws near the hinges which are visable under the dash. There are another 2 screws on the bottom on the far left and right side.

The screw on the rightside is covered by a piece of trim that comes up from the door sill. you have to pull this piece of trim aside to get to the right screw.

You pull the glovebox out. Its relatively simple after that. you have to drill a 3/4 inch hole in a plastic top of the glovebox body.
And you have to locate the prewire. The x-18180 wire plug is clipped to a metal holding prong at the top of the glovebox opening in the dash. The optical wires are in a black loop and need a small piece of the black tape removed to reveal a tiny fitting that joins the two optical wires together. Remove the joiner and take the two optical wires and insert them into a small supplied fitting that then fits into the x-18180 that in turn fits into the back of the ipod adaptor. You take the supplied ipod wire and run it thru the hole in the glovebox and take the non ipod fitting end and also snap that into the back of the ipod adaptor.

Reinstall the glovebox. Done... Dont over force anything because you are dealing with small plastic parts.
Ok, I just did the same thing - with an 06 that had the CD changer. Note if you do have the CD changer the install is even easier. There is a guy over on M5Board that has a nice DIY if you don't want to remove the glovebox - personally, I didn't like the look of it and it was not the way BMW says to do it - I figured if I paid $70K for this car I should at least do the job right.

Veight's instructions were extremely helpful - however, I've decided to add some additional tips - tips that I wish I had known.

1. That stuipd last screw on the right hand side.... In order to get to it, pull on the pastic panel on the firewall side. That will snap it out of place and then you can get at that stupid last screw. Note that if you compare the screw on the far left side, the right side one is in the same spot.

2. I used a 5/8 drill bit and then roughed out the opening - to me a 3/4" hole would have been too big. BMW recommends a 18mm drill bit - if you get one of those you will be set. Note you must cut the grommet. This may be one of those "duh" things but I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to run the wire through the grommet when both ends were clearly too big. So just slice one side of the grommet so you can slide the wire in.

3. The wire from the IPod needs to be run above and behind the metal casing for the CD changer. Originally I just ran it under where the ipod adapter was going - had it all nice and wire tied up and realized my mistake - so remember, the wire from the ipod goes up and over.

4. When putting the glove box on, #1 most important point is to be gentle and not force anything (one of the great points Veight made). Note the bottom of the glove box needs to slide in ABOVE the plastic on the bottom - otherwise if you go below it then you will realize your mistake AFTER YOU HAVE GOTTEN THAT STUPID LITTLE SCREW BACK IN AND YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. Ugh...

Anyway, I got the part for $269 and the trim piece for $5 - about $300 after tax. A lot better than the $550 the dealer wanted to charge me. Thanks to everyone.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to bring my car to dealer for folding mirror switch programming, and I'm afraid they'd load Progman 23.02 which is not compatible with my iPod adapter.
So if anyone has iPod adapter install along with CIP23.01 or so, I think we need to hold on until March 07
Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='336452' date='Sep 19 2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry guys, I'm a little late to the party here -- I've haven't been too interested in iPod integration until recently when a friend of mine started asking me about it.

I just read through this thread and realized there may be a need for E60 glovebox removal instructions so here it is...

Attachment 23983
Rudy - These instructions are for the glovebox cover (don't get me wrong, they are very helpful), but any chance you can find the instructions for removing the actual glove box?

Quick Reply: New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can