DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Need DIY for electric rear sunblind retrofit please !

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:16 AM
PFV
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the door panel module with the button for the sunblind and the rear window sunblind but I dont know how to wire :'( maybe someone can help me with some diagrams or some information that can I use . Tank you .
Old 11-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

I see a big problem. I?ve the same configuration. I retrofited the rear power sunblind.

These days I?ve removed the door panel for retrofitting the LEDs in the mirrors.

But first of all; the wire of the sunblind gets behind the rear seat. There?s a connector with wire to the front door, if car is build with sunblind. If not = no wire.

So you had to make a wire from the rear seats into the door. Then you have to find out, where to pin in into the door module. From that you need a wire to pin in into the connector of the panel with the button.
Thats the first problem to find out the pins.

If you figure out this, here?s the problem why it wont work:

The hard problem is: everyone tells you, all door modules have all funcitonality, if ordered or not.

But it is not: I tried to retrofit the mirrror LED with original wireing. I also knew how to connect to the door module. But the door module gave no power out to the LEDs. So I had to connect them to the foot light. That worked. If the door module cannot power the LEDs it also cannot run the sunblind.

For our problem, I see only tow solutions:

1st: Retrofitting a small module that does the up/down switching (the sunblind doesent know when it s fully out or in so the little engine runs till it dies. To that module you can assign a buttom for up/down
If you have the garage door transmitter:
2nd: (thats what I prefere) Retrofit a receiver from h?rmann garage doors in the trunk. It has 3 outputs. I made a second wire at the sunblind, so I have one for up and one for down. These can be connected to the h?rmann receiver. Now you can fold the sunblind using the garage door opener transmitter in the mirror. F.e. Button 2 for up button 3 for down. Or you can assign the switching module to it, then you?ll need only one button at the garage door opener.

At the moment I have mad a Lighter Connector to the sunblind wire and when I need to fold it, I connect it to the outlet in the trunk. Because I always drive with blind "up", it?s not so bad.

Not easy to explain in a foreign language.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:35 AM
PFV
Members

Originally Posted by Harry' post='357750' date='Nov 19 2006, 01:04 AM
I see a big problem. I?ve the same configuration. I retrofited the rear power sunblind.

These days I?ve removed the door panel for retrofitting the LEDs in the mirrors.

But first of all; the wire of the sunblind gets behind the rear seat. There?s a connector with wire to the front door, if car is build with sunblind. If not = no wire.

So you had to make a wire from the rear seats into the door. Then you have to find out, where to pin in into the door module. From that you need a wire to pin in into the connector of the panel with the button.

The hard problem is: everyone tells you, all door modules have all funcitonality, if ordered or not.

But it is not: I tried to retrofit the mirrror LED with original wireing. I also knew how to connect to the door module. But the door module gave no power out to the LEDs. So I had to connect them to the foot light. That worked. If the door module cannot power the LEDs it also cannot run the sunblind.

1st: Retrofitting a small module that does the up/down switching (the sunblind doesent know when it s fully out or in so the little engine runs till it dies. To that module you can assign a buttom for up/down
2nd: (thats what I prefere) Retrofit a receiver from h?rmann garage doors in the trunk. It has 3 outputs. I made a second wire at the sunblind, so I have one for up and one for down. These can be connected to the h?rmann receiver. Now you can fold the sunblind using the garage door opener transmitter in the mirror. F.e. Button 2 for up button 3 for down. Or you can assign the switching module to it, then you?ll need only one button at the garage door opener.

At the moment I have mad a Lighter Connector to the sunblind wire and when I need to fold it, I connect it to the outlet in the trunk. Because I always drive with blind "up", it?s not so bad.

Tank you very much !
My car is not prewired and I don't have the garage door opener but you gave me some idees I will see what I can do. I spoke with the electrician at the BMW service here in my town in Romania and he told me that he will search for what can be done . I have the door panels ambiental lights too and I have to retrofit that too , soo maybe we will speak about this more.

Thx again .
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 550

how much for the sunblind?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Members

My Ride:

Originally Posted by Harry' post='357750' date='Nov 18 2006, 11:04 PM

The door modules will work everything you put in but they need coding by BMW.