DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

LCI taillights retrofit by using NCS and simple retrofit wiring kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Serves me right from commenting on a topic even though I've never done so in the past on any other solution.

But I think my response was completely mis-understood. I will tell you why there are shortcomings with this design and how to solve them.

1. In the LM1 (may-be some versions) when you connect both Brake lines in parallel you will get an error on the idrive when you hit the brakes. The reason for this is that the resistance is halved on the bulbs and the car detects this as a Brake light failure. To get around this, I would keep the Brake and Tail bulbs as the same but coded them in such a way that both brakes become the normal brakes.

2. It is absolutely True that the LED bars in this solution are the brightest they will ever get. Connect the LED bars in parallel with the fog and turn off the Warm and Cold monitoring. Connecting them to the fog will make them very dim. But to get around this, all you need to do is to put a diode between the fog and the LED bars and then a Capacitor between the LED bar lines. That will take the LED bars to full brightness all the time.

3. In any case I would switch the Check Control back on for the Turn and the LED bars. So that even though the car doesn't continously monitor the bulbs it will check it atleast at start-up. This is how BMW does this for all LEDs, e.g. See the Middle Brake light that has always been LED.

This will be my last comment on this thread.
Thanks for your comment sir ..
Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well, actually, 1) is not necessary true. The way I do it does not cause error nor is coding necessary. And I still maintain the check on the brake bulb (which is now the rear fogs).

Now I can't comment on 2) and 3) since I didn't bother digging into doing this via coding (waiting on you Ehssan, lol -- I don't need to re-invent the wheel here!)...

But I am sure once Ehssan paste the coding for us, I can examine and articulate my thoughts on it.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Many BMW's

Update : sorry guys for the delay ,, I'm seriously having difficulties completing this mission ( LM1 ) as I'm still suffering from the sun burn I had last week , mean while I'm working on a really complicated hacking for the daten files of the LM1 files , i'm sure once it's finished everyone will be happy ,, but too much math and calculations so please be patient guys .. even there is a lot of changes in LM2 as well ..very nice stuff

I'm doing this for free , so I can't really spend too much on this project as I have other job to look after .. ( I'm asking to be paid , I will get paid enough from ppl in my city ) ..

I don't want to mention too much details about the project , but I'm working on adding welcome light to LM1 ,, not a promise but might be possible .
Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome light for LM1? If you do it you'll be my hero
Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow..really possible to code welcome light for LM1?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Members

Hi,do you know how to code a welcome light for LM1? i really wish to have a welcome light. Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i
I am officially interested. Would you please list the DIY?
Ditto, I am watching this topic! You are amazing Ehssan!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Members

You are the man...I'll be checking for updates.
Thanks in advance Ehssan
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by hatemax
Welcome light for LM1? If you do it you'll be my hero
+1

Ehssan, if you need any help, or testing, just let me know, I'll try to help.

But this will be an amazing......
Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by madein
+1

Ehssan, if you need any help, or testing, just let me know, I'll try to help.

But this will be an amazing......
+1

Another willing tester if you need one

Quick Reply: LCI taillights retrofit by using NCS and simple retrofit wiring kit