DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

LCI taillights retrofit by using NCS and simple retrofit wiring kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Actually Ehssan, the Bruce's cable, at least V6 (that I know), does provide error if the brake bulb(s) is blown/removed.

I have tested this long before when I was figuring out the brake effects.

In any case, the reality is that some business will probably not occur for the v6.1 cable once Ehssan release the info, but that's what the community is about anyway. Similar to how the VIM for CIC was defeated.

With that said, at the end of the day, we're all after the same thing: making our cars look awesome
thank you sir ,, appreciate your kind comment ( completely true )
Old 04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ehssan,
Hope you get some rest from your business trip. I'm very interested, too!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5

Nicely done Ehssan. Can't wait for a write-up.

I'm not going to bash anyone's business here, Bruce, but Vendors should not try to dispute working alternatives. :thumbsdown:
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Please confirm if coding will be required to reinstall the pre-LCI taillights (for example if selling the car) and if error msgs will come up should one of the bulbs blow
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Contributors

545ier :

jas_r_1 : Once you do the swap , you don't need your pre-lci taillights anymore , if you are planing to sell the car with the LCI's then get rid of the old ones as soon as you have the new ones installed/coded , no error for sure .

I will start one more test session tomorrow night to confirm the gadget, looks like when it comes to coding the LM1 , there are 3 different versions , so I'm working on something standard which gives the same affect on all the cars ..

to make things worse , I end up having a first degree sun burn because of the beach on Thursday .. so wish me luck guys .. I can't even put a t-shirt on ,,,
Old 04-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

All I can say is

Ehssan, Awesome job man. Your inovative & heading the right direction -- Good luck to you
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by Ehssan
545ier :

jas_r_1 : Once you do the swap , you don't need your pre-lci taillights anymore , if you are planing to sell the car with the LCI's then get rid of the old ones as soon as you have the new ones installed/coded , no error for sure
Thanks for your response but If I sell my car I don't believe I would get the money the lights are worth on top of the car as most likely car will be purchased by someone who doesn't know how much these lights are worth.

So if I wanted to refit the pre-LCI lights, will coding need to be put back?

You said no errors so does that mean we will get no warning if one of the bulbs blow - as Bruce is stating

Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
Yes.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Ehssan
PS : you sounds very rude in your post , if I sound the same , then maybe because of you
Serves me right from commenting on a topic even though I've never done so in the past on any other solution.

But I think my response was completely mis-understood. I will tell you why there are shortcomings with this design and how to solve them.

1. In the LM1 (may-be some versions) when you connect both Brake lines in parallel you will get an error on the idrive when you hit the brakes. The reason for this is that the resistance is halved on the bulbs and the car detects this as a Brake light failure. To get around this, I would keep the Brake and Tail bulbs as the same but coded them in such a way that both brakes become the normal brakes.

2. It is absolutely True that the LED bars in this solution are the brightest they will ever get. Connect the LED bars in parallel with the fog and turn off the Warm and Cold monitoring. Connecting them to the fog will make them very dim. But to get around this, all you need to do is to put a diode between the fog and the LED bars and then a Capacitor between the LED bar lines. That will take the LED bars to full brightness all the time.

3. In any case I would switch the Check Control back on for the Turn and the LED bars. So that even though the car doesn't continously monitor the bulbs it will check it atleast at start-up. This is how BMW does this for all LEDs, e.g. See the Middle Brake light that has always been LED.

This will be my last comment on this thread.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
All I can say is

Ehssan, Awesome job man. Your inovative & heading the right direction -- Good luck to you
Appreciate it Sir , I'm one of your orions setup fans , I'm doing the same next weekend

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
Thanks for your response but If I sell my car I don't believe I would get the money the lights are worth on top of the car as most likely car will be purchased by someone who doesn't know how much these lights are worth.

You said no errors so does that mean we will get no warning if one of the bulbs blow - as Bruce is stating

Thanks
if you are planning to run both brake bulbs as brake lights , then you will have to disable the warning , 99% who's using several LCI's solutions are running single brake bulb ( Euro sepcs cars ) , so if you want to keep it the same , then you don't need to disable the warning , and when the bulb is broken / damaged whatever we call it ,, you will get notification ,,,

Quick Reply: LCI taillights retrofit by using NCS and simple retrofit wiring kit