DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i

Originally Posted by Shlooky
This is amazing, I can get anything to play out to my car speakers including virtual piano, Internet radio, Ustream anything that uses audio!!!!

I have an iPhone 3GS, so here is what you have to do...

1-Plug the iPhone to the iPod adapter in your car
2-In iDrive, select a song from your iPhone playlist and play it, this opens the channel between the iDrive and iPhone
3-Now you can open any app that plays audio and it will play it back to your speakers!

I tried an internet radio app, Ustream for live podcasts and Fingerlite virtual piano. You can't launch iPod app because it's already connected.

So I am a happy little camper!!!!!!!!!!

I just did my ipod interface yesterday and everything went well. Very easy mod. I took me about 20 minutes. I have the Iphone 4 and I can listent to internet radio as well. Also my adapter charges my phone which is great.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Members

Hi,

If you do't mind, can you throw some light on some basic queries please:

- can you post the part # of the ipod interface please? (I was going by an old bulletin and believe that it is outdated)
- was it a plug-and-play process that followed the same steps as detailed in the OP?
- did you have to take it to the dealer for some programming? (That's what my dealer says even though my 06 make has a 6 cd changer and can play mp3s)
- finally, what is this adapter that charges the phone? Is it part of the interface or do you have to buy a separate cable?

thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D E60

Originally Posted by BimmerRules!
Hi,

If you do't mind, can you throw some light on some basic queries please:

- can you post the part # of the ipod interface please? (I was going by an old bulletin and believe that it is outdated)
- was it a plug-and-play process that followed the same steps as detailed in the OP?
- did you have to take it to the dealer for some programming? (That's what my dealer says even though my 06 make has a 6 cd changer and can play mp3s)
- finally, what is this adapter that charges the phone? Is it part of the interface or do you have to buy a separate cable?

thanks!
- The part number for the latest version is 65412160344
- Yes, plug and play like original OP
- No, i was the same as you (6 disc changer and already playing mp3), fit it and it will work. I made some changes to my V.O tho, so if bmw ever do a software update on my car, the software will 'see' that an ipod interface has been retrofitted and not flag an error. You don't really need to do this tho...
- The interface charges your iphone/ipad. Be aware, this interface does not work with an Itouch!

Gav
Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gav900
- The part number for the latest version is 65412160344
- Yes, plug and play like original OP
- No, i was the same as you (6 disc changer and already playing mp3), fit it and it will work. I made some changes to my V.O tho, so if bmw ever do a software update on my car, the software will 'see' that an ipod interface has been retrofitted and not flag an error. You don't really need to do this tho...
- The interface charges your iphone/ipad. Be aware, this interface does not work with an Itouch!

Gav

Thanks a lot Gav! Appreciate it.

Do you also have an 06 e60?

The part # is different from the one specified in BMW USA's website - 6511 04 39425. I presume you are located in UK and hence the difference in the #.

But that makes me wonder if that's the reason my car needs to be programmed because this part # is also different from the part #s in use more than a year ago. Would appreciate any feedback from the guys in the US who recently installed this.

Thanks again,
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D E60

The difference in numbers is down to revisions of the interface. Just make sure you get the newest version and not one thats been sitting on a shelf for a few years...

Gav
Old 08-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Members

Will do, thanks Gav.

Hope someone in the US who recently installed this can confirm the part #. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Members

Hello everyone

is it possible to make ipod integration on E60 2004? or what easy ways are to listen mp3? i hate AUDIO CD

thank you in advance
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Yes, my E60 545i was built in October 2003, so it is possible. Mine works perfectly.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Members

Shlooky

can you tell me easy and cheap way? it not problem to manage songs from iphone/ipod and not from the central block.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

There are a few ways..

http://www.specdock.com/
They have a good cheap solution

Also there is the Dension Gateway 500
http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-...ts/gateway-500

And the dealer iPod retrofit kit, now some say the Dension is really good, but not sure about the cost. I installed the factory unit and it's great, but costly.

Good luck, there are tons of threads including this one regarding iPod retrofits. Check them out

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY