DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod Hardwire Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by iiwii' post='241221' date='Feb 16 2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, i did push in the housing for the heated seat buttons...no change...would you have any schematics on the housing for the heated seats? I am kind of afraid to disconnect anything. :'(

thanks again!
Sorry, no schematics. If you unplugged those wires as part of the iPod hardwire process, I'd suggest comparing the wire positions on the left seat heater switch (which I assume is working) to the right switch--perhaps you mixed them up when reconnecting? If that isn't the issue, try unplugging and replugging each wire on the seat heater switch (one at a time so you don't get them mixed up).
Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='241197' date='Feb 16 2006, 09:23 AM
That wire is for when you install a cell phone cradle--it's for the antenna connection--see attached doc:
Attachment 15571

For the seat heater, you may have caused the wires that connect to the switch in that panel to come loose--try reconnecting them.

Stream

Thanks for posting the interesting install. I think I am missing something, though..to which socket (or plug)in the e60 are you connecting the audio L and audio R from your line out jack?

Todd
Old 02-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by tlefkowitz' post='241947' date='Feb 17 2006, 01:14 PM
Stream

Thanks for posting the interesting install. I think I am missing something, though..to which socket (or plug)in the e60 are you connecting the audio L and audio R from your line out jack?

Todd
As I mentioned above, I had the aux input installed. It's a stereo mini jack--here's install instructions--I paid $200 installed at my dealer:
5_series_aux_input.pdf
Old 10-06-2006, 05:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='138113' date='Jun 10 2005, 03:13 AM
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install). They also updated my s/w to 17.01.

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:
Attachment 8300
http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:
Attachment 8301
Attachment 8302
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...lick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=64-3131
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=64-3133

18 gauge wire--you?ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):
Attachment 8304

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions (compliments of Rudy ):
Attachment 8303

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).
Attachment 8307

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
Attachment 8316
There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:
Attachment 8305

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):
Attachment 8306

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:
Attachment 8314

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here (again compliments of Rudy ):
Attachment 8315
Attachment 8308

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it
Attachment 8309

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:
Attachment 8310

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:
Attachment 8311

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:
Attachment 8312

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:
Attachment 8313

I ripped my CDs to iTunes as MP3 at 192 kbps, and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!!
Hi, you say the iPod pauses and powers off when you switch off the car. Is this a feature of the monster cable because mine does not do this with a Griffin car charger?

Thanks
Minky